Author Topic: Student investigated after allegedly saying a math symbol looked like a gun  (Read 906 times)

Offline mrclose

From Pop-Tarts to math symbols! :whistling:

Criminal charges will not be filed against a student after allegedly saying a math symbol looked like a gun.

On Tuesday afternoon, Allen Parish Sheriff's Office deputies investigated an allegation of terrorist threats at Oberlin High School, according to the department's Facebook page.

The investigation revealed that a student was completing a math problem and drew the sign for square root.
Deputies say another student made a comment that the symbol looked like a gun and several other students made similar comments. 

According to investigators, the comment made by the student in question "could" sound like a threat when taken out of context.

http://www.katc.com/story/37560947/student-investigated-after-allegedly-saying-a-math-symbol-looked-like-a-gun?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
You...must...be... freaking... kidding. :mental:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Looks like the teacher and administration were the retards here.  Or at least as retarded as the worst of the students.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:36:55 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DLR Pyro

#FFS!   If the student who drew the symbol for the square root knew what it was, why didn't the other students know what it was?  Apparently they aren't paying attention in class to the subject matter being taught.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Happy Fun Ball

So, let's see if I got this right. Saying that a math symbol that has been used for centuries looks like a gun gets the whole school in a panic, with investigations and possible criminal charges. Yet, an obvious psycho slips through countless cracks in the system like he was a pachinko ball, makes actual threats in school and out of it, and nothing was done, even during the shooting. Warning after warning after police visit after calls to the FBI and nothing was done. And guns are the problem here? Yeah...makes perfect sense.

What's next? Ban the plus symbol because it looks too much like a cross? Or ban the word 'generally' because it sounds like 'General Lee'?

Offline ColonelCarrots

Dumbasses.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.