Author Topic: Did Bush's cabinet picks have issues?  (Read 826 times)

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
Did Bush's cabinet picks have issues?
« on: February 02, 2009, 12:13:22 PM »
holiday  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Feb-02-09 09:17 AM
Original message
Did Bush's cabinet picks have issues?

Advertisements [?]
I'm hearing alot of naysayers talk about Obama's treasury pick and Daschle.

It just has made me think.. there is no way Bush's cabinet picks were wonderful upstanding citizens with no issues. I just know what Bush's cronies are like. Refreshh my memory (I was too young in 2000). Was there issues with any of his picks?

Pretty fresh bonfire, should be interesting to see how they wriggle around this one.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8159228

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Did Bush's cabinet picks have issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
Avalux  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Feb-02-09 09:32 AM

3. Of course they did - they covered it up.

Obama is all about disclosure and accountability, so I would expect this sort of thing. Anything that happened w/Bush's people was never disclosed.

:rofl: :rofl:

Silly DUmmies, Trix are for kids.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »
slipslidingaway  (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-02-09 10:27 AM
Response to Original message
5. Of course, but it is different this time...
 if one voices concern they are naysayers, whiners etc.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/12/08/hayde... /

"...Until five weeks ago, I literally never heard anyone claim -- in either party -- that it was irrelevant who the President appointed to his Cabinet and other high-level positions. I never heard anyone depict people like the Defense Secretary and CIA Director as nothing more than impotent little functionaries -- the equivalent of entry-level clerical workers -- who exert no power and do nothing other than obediently carry out the President's orders.

In fact, I seem to recall pretty vividly all sorts of confirmation fights led by Democrats over the last eight years (John Aschroft, John Bolton, Alberto Gonzales, Michael Hayden, Steven Bradbury) -- to say nothing of the efforts to force the resignation or dismissal of people such as Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz and Gonzales -- that were based on exactly the opposite premise: namely, that it does matter who is empowered to lead these agencies and departments, and specifically, that their ideology not only matters, but can, by itself, warrant rejection. Nobody ever claimed that Ashcroft, Bolton or Hayden were "unqualified." It was their beliefs and ideology that rendered them unfit for those positions, argued Democrats.

When and why did everyone suddenly decide to change their minds about this and start repeating the mantra of some Obama supporters that high-level appointments are irrelevant because only the President counts? For the people who now make this claim to justify Obama's appointments, were any of them objecting during any of the above-listed confirmation fights that those fights were wasteful and unjustified because presidential appointments are irrelevant?..."

OOOOOOoooooo...that's gotta hurt.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
In fact, I seem to recall pretty vividly all sorts of confirmation fights led by Democrats over the last eight years (John Aschroft, John Bolton, Alberto Gonzales, Michael Hayden, Steven Bradbury) -- to say nothing of the efforts to force the resignation or dismissal of people such as Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz and Gonzales -- that were based on exactly the opposite premise: namely, that it does matter who is empowered to lead these agencies and departments, and specifically, that their ideology not only matters, but can, by itself, warrant rejection.

Well that's a democrat for you, a life philosophy, basically an OPINION, based on a person's values and life experiences is a crime (punishable by death, apparently). But, tax fraud (which I thought really was a crime) is just a silly little mistake. As long as a person spews the right words...heck, they don't even have to BELIEVE what they say...I mean, if they truly believe government is the solution wouldn't these people more than anyone else want to pay their fair share? I'm pretty sure Geithner and Daschle fall into the category of "rich".

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:02:32 PM »
As purposeful and correct as it would be, there is no need to make fools of ourselves by objecting to Pres. Zero's picks because of their worldviews.  We have their criminal element to focus upon.

The democrats had no such luxury.  They had to go ahead and make ideological asshole out of themselves.

Given their history, does anyone, even a Little Goon, think that if there had been a hint of criminality involved in any Republican pick for any position, the democrats would have gone ahead and objected on the grounds of ideology?

BREAKING NEWS FOR LITTLE GOONS:  Reread the above again.  Then think about it. 

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:49:26 PM »
To the DUmbasses, we are a nation of men not laws.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:29:39 PM »
Not much matters anymore.  'We' did elect a crack dealer to the Presidency did 'we' not?

If I were in Michael Phelps shoes I wouldn't have batted an eye at being caught with a bong ..... I would've said "Hey, the President is a crack head .... this stuff ain't so bad"

Amazing how far this Nation has fallen when we look at the 'Leaders' we now have.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:56:06 PM »
I recall in January 2001, there was some controversy about John Ashcroft being nominated for attoney general; I disremember the issues, but it mystified me, because John Ashcroft is a nice guy, the salt of the earth, and one would have to be psychiatrically-commitable to dislike him.

I was laying on the couch in the living room, reading a book, and C-Span was covering some sort of press conference by some poverty profiteers opposing the nomination.

Of course, I didn't hear what was being said, but I sort of watched.  Some guy was ranting, and behind him was one of the angriest, ugliest, foulest, sourest, meanest, bitterest, heavy-set woman I'd ever seen.  She didn't say anything; she just stood behind the ranting guy, radiating sullen Hate.

I thought to myself, oh my, that was definite proof John Ashcroft was a decent and civilized person, if such losers Hated him so.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »
Only thing I remember somewhat controversial I can remember is him having a sheet placed over Lady Liberty's tatas during a photo-op.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
I think President Bush's first HHS nomination had problems.  She had a woman who was of either outright illegal or highly questionable immigration status.  Her nomination was withdrawn.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »
I think President Bush's first HHS nomination had problems.  She had a woman who was of either outright illegal or highly questionable immigration status.  Her nomination was withdrawn.

She had hired an illegal immigrant woman; the record showed she had done it out of compassion, and everything was squared away, but because of the bitterness and Hate of the anti-George Bush crowd, it was decided it was simpler just to have her withdraw.
apres moi, le deluge