Author Topic: 'Hearty Eaters' Say Buffet Banned Them  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
'Hearty Eaters' Say Buffet Banned Them
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »

HOUMA, La. (AP) - A 6-foot-3, 265-pound man says a restaurant overcharged him for his trips to the buffet line, then banned him and a relative because they're hearty eaters. A spokesman for the restaurant denies the claim.
Ricky Labit, a disabled offshore worker, said he had been a regular for eight months at the Manchuria Restaurant in Houma, eating there as often as three times a week.

On his most recent visit, he said, a waitress gave him and his wife's cousin, 44-year-old Michael Borrelli, a bill for $46.40, roughly double the buffet price for two adults.

"She says, 'Y'all fat, and y'all eat too much,'" Labit said.

*snip*

"Food is for eating, not toys for your child," reads a sign posted on a wall in typewritten text. A handwritten addition reads "Or 20% added."

Now that's a classy joint.   :-)

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TU02B00&show_article=1

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

Re: 'Hearty Eaters' Say Buffet Banned Them
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »
We have a place like that here. Dynasty Buffet. They  have king crab legs. It isn't just the fat folks who raid that pile. I've seen families come in there and they go straight there and take every crab leg out of there, wrap them up, and put them in a bag. Perhaps they should just charge an extra fee for a high end portion of the buffet to accomodate the portly or the classless.  :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
All you can eat isn't a challenge.  :-)

We used to go to a certain buffet in my hometown when we would go home to visit. My brother told me that the owners were shutting it down after New Year's because people were loading up on things and not even being coy about it. I've seen people practically back up a truck and shovel as much as they can into their pockets.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »
All you can eat isn't a challenge.  :-)

We used to go to a certain buffet in my hometown when we would go home to visit. My brother told me that the owners were shutting it down after New Year's because people were loading up on things and not even being coy about it. I've seen people practically back up a truck and shovel as much as they can into their pockets.

Exactly, Dixie...that's how I've seen it done here too. I wasn't raised like that so to me I sit there just shaking my head.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:39:26 PM »
We have the "Country Buffet" around here but my wife and I never go. We call it "Hungry Hungry Hippos" cause it seems all we see are a bunch of lard asses waddling in and out. How can people do that to themselves?  :confused:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:41:32 PM »
To be honest, it's a buffet. What did the morons expect?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:58:21 PM »

HOUMA, La. (AP) - A 6-foot-3, 265-pound man says a restaurant overcharged him for his trips to the buffet line, then banned him and a relative because they're hearty eaters. A spokesman for the restaurant denies the claim.
Ricky Labit, a disabled offshore worker, said he had been a regular for eight months at the Manchuria Restaurant in Houma, eating there as often as three times a week.

On his most recent visit, he said, a waitress gave him and his wife's cousin, 44-year-old Michael Borrelli, a bill for $46.40, roughly double the buffet price for two adults.

"She says, 'Y'all fat, and y'all eat too much,'" Labit said.

*snip*

"Food is for eating, not toys for your child," reads a sign posted on a wall in typewritten text. A handwritten addition reads "Or 20% added."

Now that's a classy joint.   :-)

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TU02B00&show_article=1

IMHO this is illegal.  You can't change a contract mid-stride.  If the contract is vague, it is ALWAYS construed to be against the one who drew up the contract.  "Or 20% added" is as vague as I can possibly imagine.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
IMHO this is illegal.  You can't change a contract mid-stride.  If the contract is vague, it is ALWAYS construed to be against the one who drew up the contract.  "Or 20% added" is as vague as I can possibly imagine.

+1. It's BUFFET!  :-)

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 12:05:02 AM »

+1. It's BUFFET!  :-)

Yep!

And, dang it, I am hungry now.  I have had a hankering for ham for the last month or so.  And no hope in sight to squelch it.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 12:07:03 AM »

Yep!

And, dang it, I am hungry now.  I have had a hankering for ham for the last month or so.  And no hope in sight to squelch it.

Well, don't know where you live, but there's 2000 places to get ham within a 50-mile vicinity of me right now.  :-)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »
There was a "Simpsons" episode based on this very issue.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »
I side with you all that said it is a buffet, but I have seen some real pieces of work go in there and take the place for all they can(I mean pocketing food--these guys obviously have the appetite and they should accomodate it since they are eating there, but the grab whatever you can and hit the door crowd :hyper: :whatever:). I just can't believe people can be so crass.

Offline Flame

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 08:28:28 AM »
I side with you all that said it is a buffet, but I have seen some real pieces of work go in there and take the place for all they can(I mean pocketing food--these guys obviously have the appetite and they should accomodate it since they are eating there, but the grab whatever you can and hit the door crowd :hyper: :whatever:). I just can't believe people can be so crass.

I think it is just a symptom of what's happening to society in general...people are out to get all they can for as little as they can, to heck with values and manners.

I try to limit what my kids get at a buffet place, 'cause I dont' want them to waste, but I also encourage them to try new things, so if they don't eat everything, i don't care, and let them go get something else.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 08:33:47 AM »

I think it is just a symptom of what's happening to society in general...people are out to get all they can for as little as they can, to heck with values and manners.

I try to limit what my kids get at a buffet place, 'cause I dont' want them to waste, but I also encourage them to try new things, so if they don't eat everything, i don't care, and let them go get something else.

I agree with your assertions, Flame. And I'm the same with mine. I tell them to just get a sample and they can either go back for more or try something else.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »
We were NEVER allowed to fill up our plates at a buffet with my mom supervising when I was young. I think we were 13 before we could do it on our own. And we KNEW that anything placed on our plates had to be eaten or we'd be in trouble. Loading up for the sake of loading up was unheard of. But when you see the parents doing it today, I don't expect any different from the kids.

I posted this on a girl's gossip board (I call it my chatty old hen club LOL) I belong to but it's appropriate here -

I have a new pet peeve. Buffet/all you can eat hogs!!!   

We stayed at a hotel driving back home and again on the way back. We got up, packed our bags, loaded the car and checked out before sitting down in the lobby to have the "complementary breakfast". Usually they aren't much but you are paying for it when you book the room so I always try to make a meal out of it instead of going somewhere else to pay $$$ for breakfast ingredients that aren't expensive.

Anywhooo....

This particular hotel chain had a really decent breakfast set up. Coffees, teas, juice, milk, fruit, yogurt pastries, bagels, boiled eggs, cereal, even a waffle station. We were pretty happy. It was busy and it seemed like everyone else was trying to eat at the same time so we quickly grabbed things like yogurt, toast, juice and sat down. Unfortunately, the table was right next to the counter with all of the food so I had to endure a parade of butts while I ate. 

I noticed this one lady making bagels (and hogging the ONE toaster!) and I just went around her and opted to eat my bread untoasted since I didn't feel like waiting. She kept telling people to "go around me if I'm in the way"   There was one girl working the buffet area. I felt so sorry for her! She was running her butt off. She was also cleaning the waffle station. Apparently someone had made a huge mess. The batter was in some kind of dispensing machine?? and it looked like someone just opened it up and let it run all over the table.

Back to the food hog....the bagel lady FINALLY finished and gave the plate of bagels (six of them!) to another lady sitting down. She then started loading up on yogurt containers, cereal boxes, juice boxes and pieces of fruit. She then asked the poor girl working (and cleaning the mess) if the eggs in the cooler next to the milk were cooked or not. She said "yes, they are hard boiled" so the lady took 8! Then she wanted to know if the waffle machine was fixed yet. I was sitting right there so I could see and hear everything. The lady told her she was almost done and then she said "if you give me a towel, I promise not to make a mess again"   So SHE was the mess maker!

I could tell that she didn't want this lady messing things up again so she told her to give her a minute and then she would help her. She then had the nerve to ask for a tray! They don't have trays because this wasn't a cafeteria set up. It was a simple complementary breakfast bar with a few tables. No need to haul food around. The girl manages to dig up a tray (I think she probably did it to get rid of her) and then the lady proceeds to load up all of her freebies. She had at least a dozen bagels, 8 cartons of yogurt, juice, milk, an entire bunch of bananas, 6 apples, 8 boiled eggs, and a bunch of other stuff.

Her friend was sitting at a table near us and they kept talking in a foreign language. It was obvious they were telling each other what to get. It really doesn't matter what nationality they were. Let's just say they were pigs!!!  I'm not racist and it was obvious that the one lady doing all of the food hogging spoke perfect English.

As they were leaving, we were as well. I waited for my kid to come out of the bathroom and they grabbed their tray full of freebies and skulked out the back while looking over their shoulders. Ugh.

I wanted to complain to the manager but it was obivous that they knew about it and were not going to say anything to them.  :whatever:

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 06:46:01 AM »
Louie Anderson had a bit in his standup routine about being accosted by the owner at a Chinese buffet:

"You go now.  You been here four hour!"   :-)
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
Louie Anderson had a bit in his standup routine about being accosted by the owner at a Chinese buffet:

"You go now.  You been here four hour!"   :-)

Louie Anderson? I thought it was John Pinette who did that bit.

[youtube=425,350]TdwuiyO7hOU[/youtube]

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 11:16:56 AM »
We have a place like that here. Dynasty Buffet. They  have king crab legs. It isn't just the fat folks who raid that pile. I've seen families come in there and they go straight there and take every crab leg out of there, wrap them up, and put them in a bag. Perhaps they should just charge an extra fee for a high end portion of the buffet to accomodate the portly or the classless.  :-)
Do like most buffets, post a "No Carryouts" sign, then charge the hell out of them for stashing it in the bag.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »

I understand that sentiment, but on the other hand, if you advertise all you can eat then renege on it, how is it different from bait and switch advertising?
The business owner made the choice to do that kind of business.