Author Topic: USB Flash Drive questions....  (Read 3025 times)

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
USB Flash Drive questions....
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
I was in the vicinity of Walmart, so I dropped in and bought a 4g SanDisk flash drive. Quick and easy to plug in to an open port and set up in my Windows XP. They're cheap enough to keep several laying around. Now to figger out the best use for it.

Backup? Mailing stuff between family and friends? Archiving stuff I don't use very often? Suggestions please.........

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: USB Flash Drive questions....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
Carrying files back and forth to werk.

Or just between different computers.

Also, if you have the proper software on them you can use em to compromise other folkes networks.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
Other things you can do is (assuming you can boot from usb) is to put rescue tools on it in case your having trouble booting the primary operating system.

If you have any interest in Linux you can put a distro on the stick and boot to that just to try it out.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
I use them to transfer files like pictures or some programs.

I don't think they are reliable enough for doing important back-ups, I use online and DVD's for back-ups.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »
Carrying files back and forth to werk. (I'm retired......

Or just between different computers.

I use them to transfer files like pictures or some programs.

That's what I had in mind for the principle use. My wife doesn't have a scanner or net access on her computer, so when she needs to do church stuff, I can use a stick, and port things back and forth.

I don't think they are reliable enough for doing important back-ups, I use online and DVD's for back-ups.

I checked user reviews on Amazon, and ordered a 4g Transcend JetFlash 300. It had the least number of complaints. I agree that reliability can be an issue with sticks. Online backup is something I don't like, and CDs are kind of klutzy IMO.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna play around with this SanDisk.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
Anything that my wife can accidentally put in the washing machine that comes out working as designed is reliable enough.

Because of storage size issues, my off-site backup is on a 500 GB USB HD, which gets a just-about weekly dose of update from a 16 GB thumbdrive.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »
Here is some google fu.

http://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=hp&gs_mss=what%20can%20I%20do%20with%20a%20fl&pq=flash%20drive%20rescue%20kit&cp=24&gs_id=4o&xhr=t&q=what%20can%20I%20do%20with%20a%20flash%20drive&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=what+can+I+do+with+a+fla&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.aWc&fp=2419cc504950dac8&biw=1366&bih=679

True story:  I was working the day shift as the AV tech covering a bunch of events at a large hotel. I would shoot in the screen and projector, dial in the sound system, add a DI box, a wireless or wired mic and then be available to show the presenter the connections.  I did not do Windows (ie I was not there to do computer work unless we had rented a laptop).  On this particular occasion a woman from a midwestern college showed up with a laptop which required a thumb drive key much as described in the snip below from your link. She was not what one would call computer literate and had a flunky put together her presentation then requsition the laptop from IT for her to run it on.

Of course such a person is far to busy to dry run anything or become acquainted wih the equipment.  I am not quit sure what she had done to the USB key but there was no way it was unlocking the computer.  She wanted to know if I could 'hack' her laptop.  Um, no, sorry, not going to happen (I strongly suspect she was set up but that is just a whole other story). But, I could  rent you a laptop (for what I always thought was an outrageous fee) Moral of the story? Bring your flunky on the trip with you or make sure you understand how all the equipment works before you leave home.  If you use a USB as a laptop key be aware you could lock yourself out of your computer. 

10: Lock your PC

Have you ever seen a movie in which a person in some secret government installation simply inserts and removes a card to log in and log out of a PC? If you thought that idea was cool, you’ll definitely want to investigate Predator (Figure E). Once installed and configured, this little freeware utility will allow you to turn a USB flash drive into a key you can use to lock and unlock your computer.

{illustration  removed}

With Predator, you can use a USB flash drive as a key to lock and unlock your computer.

While the USB flash drive is connected to your computer, everything works as it normally would. Once you remove the USB flash drive, your computer is locked down — the keyboard and mouse are disabled and the screen darkens. To unlock your computer, you just plug in the USB flash drive and the computer will be unlocked and you can begin using it. To learn more about Predator, and/or to download it, visit the developer’s Web site.

Then too, a lot of places disable the USB ports in BIOS and then password protect the BIOS (When I worked for my Uncle we did this, but even doing this is not a fool proof fix to secure a laptop.)
< watch this space for coming distractions >