Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 9292 times)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
I've been running Fedora for a bit and am starting to get comfortable with it, have you had a chance to compare it Ubuntu?

I've heard alot of good things about Ubuntu but not anything that sets it apart from Fedora.

Well I have not used fedora, but I did use red hat years ago and have a little experience with red hat enterprise. From what I understand fedora follows the old red hat ideology so I would say if you like fedora keep using it. Most basic commands will cross over to most distros so you will really not be learning something you cant use anywhere else...now you have distro specific commands like emerge for Gentoos portage system and such but nothing you cant pick up with the use of the man pages. You could also try out some of the live cd's. They are pretty good these days at giving you a glimpse of how the distro will work on your system. If there is anything I can help with just ask.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »
I think I might have found a good reason to switch to Ubuntu.

Steam

Thanks Colonel Carrots!
 :rofl:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:48 PM »
Well I installed Ubuntu 13.04 and I am totally underwhelmed.

The deal breaker for me was that there was not an ability to multitask, at least I couldn't find it.

Also, what happened to terminal?

I think for the time being I'll go back to Fedora 19.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »

The deal breaker for me was that there was not an ability to multitask, at least I couldn't find it.

Well Haven't used that numbered version of Ubuntu but I am not sure what you mean there isn't a way to multitask...you can burn cd's and search the web and use terminal all at the same time. I was sold on Linux about red hat 4ish time where you could play quake and burn an audio cd at the same time....cant do that with windoze and have a decent sounding audio disk. Anyway the terminal should be located in accessories that is where it usually is. There are about 4 spots on most Ubuntu variant distros to find the terminal. If you want it in the panel or "taskbar" just add it through the "add remove panel items". I am not trying to sell you on Ubuntu but if you haven't uninstalled take a good look around there is much to see and adding programs is easier to deal with than the RPM manager. But if you want a real challenge install Gentoo (I love Gentoo...but it chooses who it likes) or Slackware (mostly for servers all old school commands to get things done). There is a world of distros out there my friend. I would like your feedback on fedora tho...always open to other things.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »

I can't stand their whole Unity crap.  I can barley navigate the crap and this is what I do for a living.  It's like Windows 8 IMO.  They tried to get of something that works well for something flashy and it sucks.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
I can't stand their whole Unity crap.  I can barley navigate the crap and this is what I do for a living.  It's like Windows 8 IMO.  They tried to get of something that works well for something flashy and it sucks.

Hmm will have to check out the new Ubuntu....I am using a Lubuntu laptop now....lxde is much different than Ubuntu very simple. My last laptop had Kubuntu, again different than gnome. If they are chasing the Redmond tail it will be a total failure IMHO.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 10:54:19 PM »

This is the Ubuntu I don't like.  I think the new desktop is called Unity or something, I can't stand it.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 11:11:53 PM »
The pic you posted didn't come out but I went to the website and I see what you mean. I don't like that either. Well there are a lot of other distros out there and there is also the different window managers ...lxde, enlightenment, xfce the list goes on.

Offline taxed

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 02:06:13 AM »
Alright, I'm not a leftist, I can prove it! But I had gotten so sick of Windows I fell in with the Linux crowd. Just wondered whether anyone else used Ubuntu or variant? I am amazed at how fast and well it works on this older laptop. I would never go back to windows.

I've been running Linux for years.  I run Mint 17 currently.

Nice when it just works, and don't have to worry about viruses, right :-)

Offline taxed

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 02:07:00 AM »
Question.  I've never built a computer, but have thought about trying to.  Would Ubuntu work on a slower cheaper mobo/CPU?  I don't want to spend a lot of money for my first try.

Try Xubuntu, which is a stripped down Ubuntu.

Offline taxed

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 02:09:09 AM »
I hate the Unity desktop. Linux mint is based on Ubuntu with the choice of a MATE or Cinnamon desktop. I prefer Cinnamon.

Same here, big time.

Offline taxed

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 02:11:09 AM »
Edit: Not the OP but SCoastclamdinger

I thinks the OP is full of shit.

I am not aware of a distro that allows an upgrade or a downgrade period!

If you linux freaks disagree, please feel free to chime in cause I would like to hear it..

BTW, I'm running fedora so by freaks I mean none windows people.

I'm just mad that someone would suggest that there is an upgrade path with any linux flavor.

I don't think there is yet, maybe in the future but not yet.

Of course you can upgrade.  It pops up in my upgrade notification.