Author Topic: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users  (Read 1842 times)

Offline sargentodiaz

Really?

Is there a catch? Here's the fine print from the Windows 10 page on Microsoft's site:

“It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.”

Someone translate this for us please.

Nine things to know about Windows 10 @ http://www.euronews.com/2015/01/22/nine-things-to-know-about-windows-10/

What Windows 10 Will—And Won't—Do @ http://readwrite.com/2015/01/21/windows-10-microsoft-what-to-expect

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 01:17:08 PM »
Yeah, I hope it's voluntary.  I don't want to wake up one day and have my W8 computer download the update on its own.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Re: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »
From what I understand, the upgrade is free for one year and then there will be a fee.

I'll stick with Win 7 until they decide to stop supporting it like they did XP.