Author Topic: Atari SX2600 - A fairly complete Atari 2600 emulation console  (Read 12276 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
This is a little something I built and posted on Instructables because this Microsoft-sponsored project seemed lacking..

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-puts-a-spotlight-on-atari-2600-case-mod-pc

So, this started me on a quest to outdo this project last fall, and this is the result.

Anyway, this is a link to my Instructable, which details the entire build from start to finish. I posted it on March 25th, and as of last night, it ended up a featured project on both the 'Featured' page as well as the 'Play' page, earning me a total of 15 months of free 'Pro' membership.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Atari-SX2600-a-fairly-complete-Atari-2600-emulatio/

I'm pretty proud of my little retro gaming accomplishment, and proud that I kinda stuck a finger into Microsoft's eye in the process.   :-) Now all I need is a signature from Nolan Bushnell...

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: Atari SX2600 - A fairly complete Atari 2600 emulation console
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »
Did you do all this while you were supposed to be delivering mail?   :tongue: :-) 

I have a spare heavy-sixer that is shot.  I might do this.  Those Atari paddles are terrible.  I have two sets, and I think only one of the controllers works properly.  The rest of them have potentiometers that are completely messed up. 

The only thing I was thinking I might do differently would be to cut long slots into the top of the case, in lieu of cutting a hole for a vent hole.  I would then reinforce the remaining plastic with strips of aluminum or steel.  Do you think it would vent enough heat that way?

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:20:43 PM »
Did you do all this while you were supposed to be delivering mail?   :tongue: :-) 

I have a spare heavy-sixer that is shot.  I might do this.  Those Atari paddles are terrible.  I have two sets, and I think only one of the controllers works properly.  The rest of them have potentiometers that are completely messed up. 

The only thing I was thinking I might do differently would be to cut long slots into the top of the case, in lieu of cutting a hole for a vent hole.  I would then reinforce the remaining plastic with strips of aluminum or steel.  Do you think it would vent enough heat that way?

Heh -- this was my nightly after work project in my work area away from children - IOW my little moment of Zen. As for the paddles, the problem of one bad paddle is common, because most games only make use of one. The easiest solution was to swap the paddles on the cable, exchanging player two for player one.

Heavy Sixer - you'll need to make a few different case cuts to get it done - And you wont have to deal with the spines on the inside of the top case lid. They dont exist on that model. I tried venting the case as you suggested, but it didn't work. The case lid starts to sag where the openings are cut - though your suggestion of reinforcing the remaining plastic with some metal might solve that. You'll also have to approach adding the joysticks and power connector differently, as the Heavy Sixers have those connections mounted at the bottom-center of the case on a separate daughterboard. 

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:57 PM »
One other word of advice -

Dont use anything stronger than a Dremel to cut your Atari - it WILL shatter. So, if you were thinking of bracing the Atari lid and perhaps making your vents with a miter saw.... Don't...  :-) Your Atari will Ass-plode into a crapstorm of plastic shrapnel.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
One other word of advice -

Dont use anything stronger than a Dremel to cut your Atari - it WILL shatter. So, if you were thinking of bracing the Atari lid and perhaps making your vents with a miter saw.... Don't...  :-) Your Atari will Ass-plode into a crapstorm of plastic shrapnel.

Yeah, I was eyeballing the Dremel anyways. 

How did you find out that 30 year old plastics explode on impact with a miter saw?  :-) :rotf:

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Atari SX2600 - A fairly complete Atari 2600 emulation console
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
Yeah, I was eyeballing the Dremel anyways. 

How did you find out that 30 year old plastics explode on impact with a miter saw?  :-) :rotf:

The hard way.  I used a second Vader as a souce of plastic.  I made a couple cuts on the flat part from the pan bottom that i cut free by hand first. Boom. It assploded into eleventy brazillian pieces.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:13:04 AM »
I had heard of this legend. Many moons ago when games were 8 bit.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:38:09 AM »
I had heard of this legend. Many moons ago when games were 8 bit.