Author Topic: Uh, oh. Somebody went there . . .  (Read 860 times)

Offline Mary Ann

Uh, oh. Somebody went there . . .
« on: March 18, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=13120869

Kilgore (1,680 posts)

Pandemic cases and deaths, 2009 vs Covid today [View all]
Can someone explain the difference between the 2009 H1N1 pandemic and what we are experiencing today?

From the CDC, https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html. Here are two excerpts,

"Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated"

"From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus."

Looking back, I barely remember the 2009 pandemic, let alone over 60 million cases and over 12 thousand deaths resulting in the hair on fire reporting we have today. I do know we took no precautions beyond the regular enhanced hand washing at work at the time. Asked the wife and she recalls no hording, shortages, sheltering, or anything else out of the ordinary.

So what's the difference between 2009 and today? My skept-o-meter is ticking upward, so what am I missing?

Very entertaining thread! Much dancing around the facts, and many outright lies. Basic answer to Kilgore's question is, Orange Man Bad!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Uh, oh. Somebody went there . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 01:46:59 PM »
 :ohmy:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »
Grocery-stores and some commercial pharmacies in Northern Ohio were reprimanded for buying-up the supply of H1N1-vaccines before hospitals could get any.  That's the biggest regional issue from 2009. 

Nobody sat around blaming Obama, though we easily easily could've given the same criteria as today.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 07:29:14 PM »
The difference?

The democrat party and their lying media propagandists his it and treated as no big deal because a black man was president. Now the hate of Trump actually making America Great Again has caused the democrat party and their lying media propagandists to go balls to the wall panic over not that big a deal.

The democrat party will do anything, kill, financially ruin Americans to gain the power they think they should have. It is disgusting and evil.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 10:21:36 PM »
And when all of that went down the Democrats had complete control. They could (and did) do anything they wanted. None of those numbers can be blamed on the republicans.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »
To me this whole thing simply highlights just how left wing the media is.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »
To me this whole thing simply highlights just how left wing the media is.

KC

Noticed that the media has been pivoting to blame the lack of preparation.  As one with a decade of experience in the health care industry, there has never been a such a demand for ventilators, masks, other PPE such as now.  And the a-hole media continues to shift the narrative.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 06:25:14 PM »
Noticed that the media has been pivoting to blame the lack of preparation.  As one with a decade of experience in the health care industry, there has never been a such a demand for ventilators, masks, other PPE such as now.  And the a-hole media continues to shift the narrative.

Amen.  You can't stock stuff forever.  There are expiration dates on stuff, as noted by the DUmmies on some masks that were sent the other day.

KC

*Stolen