Author Topic: No heat? Thanksgiving Eve?  (Read 15982 times)

Offline thundley4

No heat? Thanksgiving Eve?
« on: November 25, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
My wife and I went shopping today to get some last minute things before the long weekend. We came home to a house that was cooler than it should have been. I check the furnace and the pilot light is out. No big deal, it's been kind of windy and it has happened before. I relight it, wait for the furnace to cycle, but it doesn't.

The gas shut off midway through the blower cycle.  I let everything cool down, relit the pilot light, but with the thermostat turned down so the furnace wouldn't run. After about 10 minutes or so the pilot light went out.   

I pulled the thermocouple out and tested it. The voltage output dropped off completely after about 10 minutes.  A quick trip to Lowe's to get a new solved the problem. At least It wasn't the gas valve this time.

Less than $10 and maybe an hours worth of time total sure beats the hell out of calling a repairman to do the work.

Offline catsmtrods

Re: No heat? Thanksgiving Eve?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:55:42 AM »
As an HVAC tech, thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:54:24 AM »
My wife and I went shopping today to get some last minute things before the long weekend. We came home to a house that was cooler than it should have been. I check the furnace and the pilot light is out. No big deal, it's been kind of windy and it has happened before. I relight it, wait for the furnace to cycle, but it doesn't.

The gas shut off midway through the blower cycle.  I let everything cool down, relit the pilot light, but with the thermostat turned down so the furnace wouldn't run. After about 10 minutes or so the pilot light went out.   

I pulled the thermocouple out and tested it. The voltage output dropped off completely after about 10 minutes.  A quick trip to Lowe's to get a new solved the problem. At least It wasn't the gas valve this time.

Less than $10 and maybe an hours worth of time total sure beats the hell out of calling a repairman to do the work.
Let's contrast your success story with a DUmmy's version:

"My partner  :gay2: and I went to a BLM and a Bernie 2016 rally today since we don't have jobs and when we came back to our miserable studio apartment that was cooler than it should have been.  I have no man skills so I didn't have a clue what thingy-mahjig to check to see why it was so cold and my partner kept fiddling with the heater dial dohickey on the wall but it didn't get any warmer and he became frustrated and began to whimper and sob.  After cursing George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, the Koch Brothers and big oil for their part in climate change which has caused it to be so cold lately, my partner suggested we fire up the bong and put on our jammies and snuggle with a cup of hot chocolate.   

We have smoked our entire stash of medical weed and still have no heat.  Since neither of us work, I have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and my partner won't lower his standards to accept a job that pays less than $125k a year (I fully support him on this after he spent the better part of a decade getting his Masters  degree in Gay African women's ethnic studies... I'm so proud of him) we can not afford to pay for a heater repairman to come out and fix the problem. 

We are sitting here in the cold trying to be positive and upbeat this Thanksgiving day and reflecting on all we have to be thankful for such as having elected and re-elected the first black man as President, but we are puzzled why with Obama in office and all the wonderful things he has done why we are sitting in the cold on Thanksgiving and can only conclude that it is the institutional racism, homophobia and xenophobia in this nation caused by the right wingers who are to blame for our current state of misery."
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:57:58 AM »

Excellent, superb!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 05:32:59 PM »
As an HVAC tech, thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

My dad raised me right. I've never had to hire someone to do home repairs. I've had electrical training, and the gas work isn't that hard if you practice "safety first".

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »

"My partner  :gay2: and I went to a BLM and a Bernie 2016 rally today since we don't have jobs and when we came back to our miserable studio apartment that was cooler than it should have been.  I have no man skills so I didn't have a clue what thingy-mahjig to check to see why it was so cold and my partner kept fiddling with the heater dial dohickey on the wall but it didn't get any warmer and he became frustrated and began to whimper and sob.  After cursing George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, the Koch Brothers and big oil for their part in climate change which has caused it to be so cold lately, my partner suggested we fire up the bong and put on our jammies and snuggle with a cup of hot chocolate.   

We have smoked our entire stash of medical weed and still have no heat.  Since neither of us work, I have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and my partner won't lower his standards to accept a job that pays less than $125k a year (I fully support him on this after he spent the better part of a decade getting his Masters  degree in Gay African women's ethnic studies... I'm so proud of him) we can not afford to pay for a heater repairman to come out and fix the problem. 

We are sitting here in the cold trying to be positive and upbeat this Thanksgiving day and reflecting on all we have to be thankful for such as having elected and re-elected the first black man as President, but we are puzzled why with Obama in office and all the wonderful things he has done why we are sitting in the cold on Thanksgiving and can only conclude that it is the institutional racism, homophobia and xenophobia in this nation caused by the right wingers who are to blame for our current state of misery."

:hi5:

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 07:34:31 PM »
My dad raised me right. I've never had to hire someone to do home repairs. I've had electrical training, and the gas work isn't that hard if you practice "safety first".

Rugged Individualism at it's best.
The hive won't approve.
It takes a village to change a light bulb.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »
Rugged Individualism at it's best.
The hive won't approve.
It takes a village to change a light bulb.

I pay union dues, I know how much those assholes charge for service calls, and I ain't paying it. I've tapped into gas lines, put in tees and ran threaded black pipe with no leaks. After that most home repairs are a piece of cake.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
I was without heat yesterday. Stupid tenants were supposed to leave me half a tank of oil (aka 125 gallons). No way that happened.  :rant: Had to sit around all day waiting for the oil company to come because they wanted a check right away. Luckily it hasn't been all that cold. I closed myself up in the front room with a blanket and space heater and binge-watched Homeland (catching up).

$435 later, I now have heat (200 gallons). Oh, and a calendar..... ::)
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 03:32:28 PM »
I was without heat yesterday. Stupid tenants were supposed to leave me half a tank of oil (aka 125 gallons). No way that happened.  :rant: Had to sit around all day waiting for the oil company to come because they wanted a check right away. Luckily it hasn't been all that cold. I closed myself up in the front room with a blanket and space heater and binge-watched Homeland (catching up).

You know, I lived in the east for a couple of years, northeastern Pennsylvania and northern New Jersey, and always wondered how that works, this heating oil business.

<<<grew up in a part of the country where natural gas and electricity are used for heating almost to the complete exclusion of other means.

It seemed to me everybody using heating oil had to pay instantly upon delivery, no credit given, not even for ten days.

Even those with stellar five-star credit ratings.

The natural gas and electrical people around here would love that set-up, payment upon delivery, but can't have it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 03:40:47 PM »

How long does 200 gallons of heating oil last during average winter temperatures?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline jb2u11

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »

Well deserved H5 on that one!

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 04:33:09 AM »
You know, I lived in the east for a couple of years, northeastern Pennsylvania and northern New Jersey, and always wondered how that works, this heating oil business.

<<<grew up in a part of the country where natural gas and electricity are used for heating almost to the complete exclusion of other means.

It seemed to me everybody using heating oil had to pay instantly upon delivery, no credit given, not even for ten days.

The natural gas and electrical people around here would love that set-up, payment upon delivery, but can't have it.

My outfit you get ultimate service.  https://www.koscocomfort.com/Premium_Services/index.php?logomenu=premium&sidemenu=4
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 10:21:31 AM »

It used to be they would just put the bill in your mailbox and you'd send in your check, Frank. No longer, apparently
Piney Power!!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 10:24:34 AM »
My outfit you get ultimate service.  https://www.koscocomfort.com/Premium_Services/index.php?logomenu=premium&sidemenu=4

I have no doubt, no doubt at all, your company gives excellent service.

But are they perhaps being stuck with a lot of deadbeats, so it has to be C.O.D.?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »
How long does 200 gallons of heating oil last during average winter temperatures?

Depends on how cold and how many bags of pellets I have for my pellet stove
Piney Power!!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 05:46:00 AM »

Now that was funny!!!!!!!!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »
My town has no natural gas, they need to get fracking!!!

Electric bills can be high, as I have an electric heat pump and so does the apartment attached to my house. If I don't have it set high enough, the ambient temperature outside will prevent it from starting, which kicks in several electric coils for immediate heat, which also warms up the pump so it will operate. (layman terms)

Those coils can really suck the juice.  My house is way too big for one person and I have high ceilings. Winters are almost as expensive as summers, as last winter we had a few nights get down to 19 degrees during the night.