Author Topic: Is abortion ever the MORE ethical choice over giving birth?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
FarLeftFist

Is abortion ever the MORE ethical choice over giving birth?

Link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/2012/05/when-abortion-is-the-more-ethical-choice/

-SNIP-

So, why did I make that update? I wasn’t looking to be convinced - I already thought there are many, many situations where abortion is the more ethical choice over giving birth. But I never see abortion framed in terms of being “more ethical.” I always see it described as this necessary evil that we all have to feel sad and guilty about. That the choice must be a terrible struggle only allowable when followed by a certain amount of weeping and self-destruction as penance. We never talk about women who decided to give birth in those situations as making the less ethical choice. Birth is by default seen as morally superior and self sacrificing, when there are a number of situation where it is actually the unethical choice.

I obviously still think women have the right to choose either way. Forcing a woman to give birth or get an abortion against her will is so unethical it trumps the other arguments about ethics, at least in my mind. But I hate whenever I find a thread in 2XC where a woman says “I don’t feel guilty about my abortion…is something wrong with me?” No, nothing is wrong with you…something is wrong with our culture.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002650190

Xipe Totec
1. Given the way the question is posed, the answer is obviously yes.

Last edited Sun May 6, 2012, 12:49 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

Is abortion ever the MORE ethical choice over giving birth? Of course it is.

But that's not really the issue, is it?

The question is who is in the best moral position to make that call? The mother, or some clueless bastard who has no skin in the game.

So let me get this straight, only the mother, the individual, has the right to decide whether her unborn child has the right to live or not, and only the government, some clueless bastard who has no skin in the game, has the moral authority to dictate if the individual buys health insurance, what kind he has to buy, and they also get to dictate how the individual helps the poor, and 1000 other things that liberals want the feds to decide for us.

:banghead:

Politicalboi
2. I think it's terrible

To bring an unwanted child into this world. If the mother isn't ready, abortion should ALWAYS be there. And she shouldn't feel bad about it. It's more humane for everyone.

jberryhill
3. I am a man. I do not pretend to know.

Last edited Sun May 6, 2012, 12:55 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

And as such, I am spectacularly disqualified from further pretending that if I had an opinion, it is one which should be imposed on women.

I'm not a dog so I am disqualified from having an opinion whether eating dog is bad or not.

BlueIris
10. I don't waste time worrying about whether OTHER INDIVIDUAL's choices

are "ethical" or not.

I bet if a rich person does something you don't like with their own money then you care how they behave.

Kath1
12. Yes

It should be the decision of the woman and her health care provider. No guilt, no shame. This is 2012. As unbelievable as it may sound to fundamentalists and others, some of the most loving, caring and nurturing women I have ever met met have had abortions. They struggled with the decision and made the choice which was right for them. I have a child and she was by choice. She knows that and is very pro-choice, herself. The "ethical" decision is to do right by yourself.

:mental:

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: Is abortion ever the MORE ethical choice over giving birth?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
Kath1
12. Yes

It should be the decision of the woman and her health care provider. No guilt, no shame. This is 2012. As unbelievable as it may sound to fundamentalists and others, some of the most loving, caring and nurturing women I have ever met met have had abortions. They struggled with the decision and made the choice which was right for them. I have a child and she was by choice. She knows that and is very pro-choice, herself. The "ethical" decision is to do right by yourself.
And therein lies the Democrat Platform. :whatever:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:31:38 AM »
Only DUmmies think murder is somehow an "ethical" choice.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Zeus

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
I would think that if someone doesn't want a child the ethical thing to do is not get pregnant. Novel concept I know but Biologically sound.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
I would think that if someone doesn't want a child the ethical thing to do is not get pregnant. Novel concept I know but Biologically sound.

There you go applying common sense to the DUmmies "thought process" again.  :-)
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:37:59 AM »
There you go applying common sense to the DUmmies "thought process" again.  :-)
Double :-)
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »

None of this should surprise anyone. Liberals will always opt for the decision that avoids making even the slightest absolute moral judgment as applied to themselves. If there are no moral absolutes, then any behavior is not only defensible, but it is responsible. The scads of posts on DU about abortion are nothing more than a group of drug-addled morons desperately seeking permission from others for things they are morally unsure of for themselves.

Lurking DUmmies, let me help you with something: when you turn to other people for approval of your lifestyle choices and you still don't feel utter moral certitude, then you don't have the values you claim to have.

Of course, when it comes to things that affect other people, like taxes, then their morals and ethics are crystal clear: TAKE. RESTRICT. LIMIT.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
The only ethical decision to abort is when the mother's life is in danger. 

If you will lose 2 lives, you must do whatever it takes to save at least 1. 

Beyond that, if the circumstance does not allow you to kill a newborn, a 2 year old, a 5 year old, a teenager, then that circumstance also does not allow you to kill a child before birth. 

To the DUmmies, if you can't see the child, then "it's" just a lump.  "It" isn't a child until you can actually see "it."  To those with brains, we understand that the child after birth is the same child that was conceived.  There is no level of development, no location, no amount of dependence that reduces the humanity of that child...no magic line where "it" becomes "he or she."  The "he or she" was there at the moment of conception.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
The only ethical decision to abort is when the mother's life is in danger. 

If you will lose 2 lives, you must do whatever it takes to save at least 1. 

Beyond that, if the circumstance does not allow you to kill a newborn, a 2 year old, a 5 year old, a teenager, then that circumstance also does not allow you to kill a child before birth. 

To the DUmmies, if you can't see the child, then "it's" just a lump.  "It" isn't a child until you can actually see "it."  To those with brains, we understand that the child after birth is the same child that was conceived.  There is no level of development, no location, no amount of dependence that reduces the humanity of that child...no magic line where "it" becomes "he or she."  The "he or she" was there at the moment of conception.
That's why libs hate the sonogram so much.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 01:06:54 PM »
It's been a couple yrs but at one time PP own stats showed that less than 3% of all abortions performed were because of an incident of Rape,incest or to save the life of the mother. In other words 97% of all abortions performed were for convenience. Where is the morality in that.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »
It's been a couple yrs but at one time PP own stats showed that less than 3% of all abortions performed were because of an incident of Rape,incest or to save the life of the mother. In other words 97% of all abortions performed were for convenience. Where is the morality in that.
Abortion as birth control, the lazy way.

Offline Doubleplusungood

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »

100% success rate too.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
BlueIris
10. I don't waste time worrying about whether OTHER INDIVIDUAL's choices

are "ethical" or not.

Well that is good to know, then I can murder someone important to you and not worry the you will judge me.  :whatever:

Offline jukin

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »
I think we all know the difference between ethical and moral. That is a distinction completely lost on a DUche.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
I think we all know the difference between ethical and moral.

Agreed.  There's a lot of things that could be viewed as ethical, but if it's immoral then it's not hard to re-examine the situation and see that what you initially thought was ethical was, in fact, not ethical.

For instance, if one views suicide as being immoral, then to ask the question "Which is more ethical; to kill yourself by jumping off a tall bridge or to shoot yourself in front of your family?" automatically takes a backseat to the main concern, which is what does it matter since, either way, it's immoral?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 01:16:16 AM »
I have no idea how to bring this over so I'm linking to it...any of you DUmmies that go watch it need to turn down the volume because your ears will be offended by the Christian music. However, ANY of you who would chose to kill that precious child, you have no soul.

People asked her why she wouldn't abort her baby - this is her answer.

Honestly, I don't see how any mother can watch this and not cry.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline sybilll

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 02:26:32 AM »
I have no idea how to bring this over so I'm linking to it...any of you DUmmies that go watch it need to turn down the volume because your ears will be offended by the Christian music. However, ANY of you who would chose to kill that precious child, you have no soul.

People asked her why she wouldn't abort her baby - this is her answer.

Honestly, I don't see how any mother can watch this and not cry.

Cindie
Oh my, I bawled.  I am in awe of the strength of that priceless young mother.  God Bless Her and that precious baby.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 06:02:56 AM »
I am going to offer my services to any primitive free of charge. I have plenty of suture material and can sew you up tight. You choose. Either I can sew your knees together or suture up your naughty bits. That would take care of the need to get an abortion.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 06:38:48 AM »
I am going to offer my services to any primitive free of charge. I have plenty of suture material and can sew you up tight. You choose. Either I can sew your knees together or suture up your naughty bits. That would take care of the need to get an abortion.

And for those males out there, I've assisted with neutering numerous male animals, will offer to whip those "mountain oysters" right out of there for you.  No charge, I'll even through in the couple stitches it'll take.   :-)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Karin

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 08:29:13 AM »
suture up your naughty bits
  Well that should be perfect.  Muslims do this, with the bridegroom unlacing his bride on the wedding night.  Quite painful, as you can imagine.  But, the DUmp denizens would be honoring this rich culture by participating in a treasured ritual.  Wouldn't it therefore be racist to not emulate the practices and ethos of a grand and time-honored Muslim tradition, in the interest of diversity?

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
Is it really ethical to bring a liberal into such a troubled world?

It's not like we can afford to feed them.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »

Before I attempt to answer that question, is it rhetorical ?

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »
Before I attempt to answer that question, is it rhetorical ?

Yes, but grace us anyway.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 11:09:17 AM »
Yes, but grace us anyway.
Then I would answer, No !
I find it is quite troubling to include ethical and liberal in the same sentence.
P.S. I was hoping someone would see the irony of my question.
I always try to answer a rhetorical question with a rhetorical question.
Somewhere my attempt got a flat tire.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 02:59:34 PM »

Considering that they consistently say that the planet is overcrowded, I think the only ethical choice for them to make is not only to abort, but to kill themselves. I encourage them to do so and take some of the burden off of dear Mother Earth.