Author Topic: Tubbin (TobinS) weighs in on his weight  (Read 3211 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Tubbin (TobinS) weighs in on his weight
« on: September 24, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018800562

Tubbin is going to use the DUmp as motivation to lose weight.   :rotf:

Wed Sep 23, 2015, 07:24 PM
Star Member Tobin S. (7,970 posts)

Tobin's Weekly Weigh-In Thread

I'm heavier now than I have ever been in my life. On 9/21/15 I weighed in at 356.4.

I am going to lose this weight. I'd like to get down to about 220. I am going to weigh in every Friday and post the results here. I'm using this thread as a motivational tool.

I'm not going to be on any particular diet. I'm just going to watch my caloric intake and exercise.      

Wed Sep 23, 2015, 07:30 PM
bigwillq (66,894 posts)
1. You can do it!
I believe in you.
Looking forward to reading about your results.

Yeah, me too. 

Wed Sep 23, 2015, 09:04 PM
Star Member femmocrat (20,438 posts)
2. Best wishes to you!

What kind of exercise will you do?

Thu Sep 24, 2015, 01:41 AM
16. I'm going to walk with an eventual goal of jogging.

I won't be able to run until I drop a bunch of weight, but it's a good goal to keep in mind. I used to run 2 miles a day when I was a teenager. I'd like to be able to do that again.

I have a course laid out around my neighborhood that's about 1 mile. A few days ago, it was all I could do to walk that mile. I really had to push myself. I just got in from a midnight stroll because I couldn't sleep and it's already getting easier.

I will add distance as I progress.

Wed Sep 23, 2015, 09:36 PM
Star Member panader0 (12,619 posts)
5. Damn Tobin--356 is dangerous. I'm behind you with this.

I'll be rooting for you.

Nah!  Nads is right behind you, and she's at her ideal weight!  Don't listen to this stupid primitive, Tubbin! 

Thu Sep 24, 2015, 01:48 AM
17. Believe it or not, I don't have many of the associated ills with being heavy.

My blood sugar is normal and so is my blood pressure. I have blood work done every six months and the doctor hasn't said anything about my cholesterol. Thyroid function is normal.

I think I do have a bit of arthritis in my lower back. Hopefully that will improve as I take pressure off my joints through the weight loss.

The thing about being heavy, though, is that it will catch up to you at some point. I'm going to try to avoid that.

Wed Sep 23, 2015, 10:09 PM
Star Member Lifelong Protester (6,235 posts)
7. We should have a Weigh-In thread for all

DUers who are trying to lose weight. I want to lose 20 pounds.

Wed Sep 23, 2015, 10:12 PM
Star Member CaliforniaPeggy (116,793 posts)
8. 20 pounds would be wonderful for me too!

Sigh. It's really difficult.

Must be due to all those bats that fly into her gaping maw mistaking it for a cave.

Offline BattleHymn

Re: Tubbin (TobinS) weighs in on his weight
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »
Wed Sep 23, 2015, 09:36 PM
Star Member panader0 (12,619 posts)
5. Damn Tobin--356 is dangerous. I'm behind you with this.

This reminds me of an old Billy Cosby skit.  The panader primitive better hope it isn't behind Tubbin if he's on a flight of stairs:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42yGK7pvgVc[/youtube]

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
Thu Sep 24, 2015, 01:48 AM
17. Believe it or not, I don't have many of the associated ills with being heavy.

My blood sugar is normal and so is my blood pressure. I have blood work done every six months and the doctor hasn't said anything about my cholesterol. Thyroid function is normal.

He should have his overalls level checked. I'm concerned his overalls are high.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:45:49 PM »
He needs to make an appointment with nadin's doctor.

He would unplug, plug back in, and reset his ideal weight to 356.

nadin resets her ideal weight twice a year.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »
I've been there, and could stand to lose 50 or 60 pounds, so I'm going to be "straight", in this post at least.

* He's right in starting where he is, with something challenging. If a mile is what he can do in 20 or 25 minutes, it's a start.

* As a mile gets less difficult, he should increase both distance and speed. Keep increasing what he does.

* He needs to be safe. Pay attention to the weather, especially temperature and humidity. Heat is not a walker or runner's friend. If he's doing more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time he should take 16-24 ounces of water, or some sort of sports drink with electrolytes. If he's out in the sun he should wear sunscreen and a cap.

* He needs to be properly equipped. The big thing is good shoes, and he should buy 1/2 to 1 size larger, as his feet will expand. He should be ready to look into Dri-Fit type (it need not be Nike) T-shirts, compression socks to reduce the chance of blisters, and compression calf sleeves to reduce calf cramps and shin splints.

* He needs to have a "Plan B" for weather - hot, cold, or rainy. A mall, a gym, a community center - whatever is available and he can make work.

* Walking is good. He should also work on strengthening his leg, arm, back, abs, and chest muscles. Balance in what one does is important, and muscle strength and endurance will help with the walking.

* Come next spring he should look into walking/running in a 5K race. Schools do them for fundraisers. Charities do them. There may be local race organizers. Another possibly good timing would be to do a Thanksgiving turkey trot 5K or 10K next year.

Been there, done all that, though not running much yet. After doing a lot of walking for about 8 months I started with a turkey trot 5K in 2011. Over the past 12 months I've averaged completing a half marathon a month, walking, some of them on very challenging hilly courses. I see myself as having a long way to go; I sincerely wish Steve well in his effort.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled sarcasm and raillery!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »
I've been there, and could stand to lose 50 or 60 pounds, so I'm going to be "straight", in this post at least.

* He's right in starting where he is, with something challenging. If a mile is what he can do in 20 or 25 minutes, it's a start.

* As a mile gets less difficult, he should increase both distance and speed. Keep increasing what he does.

* He needs to be safe. Pay attention to the weather, especially temperature and humidity. Heat is not a walker or runner's friend. If he's doing more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time he should take 16-24 ounces of water, or some sort of sports drink with electrolytes. If he's out in the sun he should wear sunscreen and a cap.

* He needs to be properly equipped. The big thing is good shoes, and he should buy 1/2 to 1 size larger, as his feet will expand. He should be ready to look into Dri-Fit type (it need not be Nike) T-shirts, compression socks to reduce the chance of blisters, and compression calf sleeves to reduce calf cramps and shin splints.

* He needs to have a "Plan B" for weather - hot, cold, or rainy. A mall, a gym, a community center - whatever is available and he can make work.

* Walking is good. He should also work on strengthening his leg, arm, back, abs, and chest muscles. Balance in what one does is important, and muscle strength and endurance will help with the walking.

* Come next spring he should look into walking/running in a 5K race. Schools do them for fundraisers. Charities do them. There may be local race organizers. Another possibly good timing would be to do a Thanksgiving turkey trot 5K or 10K next year.

Been there, done all that, though not running much yet. After doing a lot of walking for about 8 months I started with a turkey trot 5K in 2011. Over the past 12 months I've averaged completing a half marathon a month, walking, some of them on very challenging hilly courses. I see myself as having a long way to go; I sincerely wish Steve well in his effort.

I am tempted to join you on the high road, but I am a little too mindful of their gleeful attacks on people like Chris Christie and their insistence that all drugs be legal while HFCS be outlawed. I oscillate, for sure, and while I definitely know from obesity, I don't have much empathy for the DUmmy. If he succeeds, I will applaud him.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »
     I am tempted to join you on the high road, but I am a little too mindful of their gleeful attacks on people like Chris Christie and their insistence that all drugs be legal while HFCS be outlawed. I oscillate, for sure, and while I definitely know from obesity, I don't have much empathy for the DUmmy. If he succeeds, I will applaud him. 

I hear you! In the context of this forum my post last evening was probably a gross violation of the Marquess of Threadbustery Rules. And I'm sure that, in addition to mocking Chris Christie's weight, more than a few DU-folk have mocked Rush on the same point (and Sarah Palin's athleticism - for bullies, any distinguishing characteristic is foul game!).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKjeBid6IaI[/youtube]

:-)
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 12:18:37 PM »
Wed Sep 23, 2015, 07:24 PM

Tobin's Weekly Weigh-In Thread

I'm heavier now than I have ever been in my life. On 9/21/15 I weighed in at 356.4.

I am going to lose this weight. I'd like to get down to about 220. I am going to weigh in every Friday and post the results here. I'm using this thread as a motivational tool.

I'm not going to be on any particular diet. I'm just going to watch my caloric intake and exercise.     

I wish you success in your goal, Tobin.  Stay disciplined and don't give up.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »

Oh, but you have to be careful there, as if franksolich's experiences with wishing the primitives well, with trying to get along with the primitives, hasn't been illustration enough.

I cite for you the example of Ms. Hindenberg, the defrocked warped primitive Warpy, but of course there's lots more than just her.

<<<has yet to find a primitive worth it.

<<<has spent a great deal of time trying to find a primitive worth it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
Oh, but you have to be careful there, as if franksolich's experiences with wishing the primitives well, with trying to get along with the primitives, hasn't been illustration enough.

I cite for you the example of Ms. Hindenberg, the defrocked warped primitive Warpy, but of course there's lots more than just her.

Making friends with a primitive is like bringing a pet chimpanzee into your house.  At any moment it could flip out and rip your arm off and dine on your face.  It's best to accept them as what they are, and only from afar.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 12:49:45 PM »
Making friends with a primitive is like bringing a pet chimpanzee into your house.  At any moment it could flip out and rip your arm off and dine on your face.  It's best to accept them as what they are, and only from afar.

Indeed this is why the monkey house at the zoo has such a fine mesh to the cage: they also like to fling their feces at bystanders. Far better to watch from a distance and otherwise regard them askance.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 12:56:42 PM »

Indeed this is why the monkey house at the zoo has such a fine mesh to the cage: they also like to fling their feces at bystanders. Far better to watch from a distance and otherwise regard them askance.

I love visiting monkey island at my local zoo, and throwing pebbles in the water instead of the food pellets you can buy. 

The look on their faces when they figure out you are just throwing pebbles is priceless.  I'm sure there is a parallel that can be drawn with Skin's Island primitives.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »

That's why you view them through products made by Leupold.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 01:23:32 PM »
I love visiting monkey island at my local zoo, and throwing pebbles in the water instead of the food pellets you can buy. 

The look on their faces when they figure out you are just throwing pebbles is priceless.  I'm sure there is a parallel that can be drawn with Skin's Island primitives.

I won't BS you, but dude. Throw grub, not pebbles.

In any event I suspect that most zoo gorilla habitats make use of dudes in gorilla suits.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 02:03:14 PM »

I won't BS you, but dude. Throw grub, not pebbles.

In any event I suspect that most zoo gorilla habitats make use of dudes in gorilla suits.

You sound like Mrs. BH. :rotf:  Fear not for the primates, as she will usually dump a ton of friggin quarters in to make up for my monkey business. 

As far as gorillas go, I suspect that's what the Big Guy (who is still dying) is doing on the weekends.  His rate is cheaper than most because he doesn't need the costume. 

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »

Not to worry! My expectation, even when I'm offering straightforward sarcasm-free advice/encouragement, is that it will be ignored, if not mocked. Which I find amusing.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 02:07:53 PM »
I sincerely wish Steve well in his effort.

I cannot understand a normal person wishing a DUmmy well in anything.

Any physical, financial, or emotional pain suffered by a DUmpmonkey is richly deserved and immensely entertaining.

For those few who wonder, there's no sarcasm intended in those statements.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
Tubbins should ask Mrs. Tubbins the question, "Does this gun make me look fat?"

"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
You sound like Mrs. BH. :rotf:  Fear not for the primates, as she will usually dump a ton of friggin quarters in to make up for my monkey business. 

As far as gorillas go, I suspect that's what the Big Guy (who is still dying) is doing on the weekends.  His rate is cheaper than most because he doesn't need the costume.

"Look at that gorilla, mommy. Why does it have a neckbeard?"
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »

Gee, Banned. It's almost like you painted a picture.

Of the DUmp.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 04:11:27 PM »

Any physical, financial, or emotional pain suffered by a DUmpmonkey is richly deserved and immensely entertaining.

Think of it this way, GB. If Steve gets healthier it may prolong the entertainment he provides. Not that I ever claimed to be normal :whistling: .

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »

I agree one hundred percent, GB. H5!!!

Seems the older I get, the less tolerant of the Dummies I become. They are vile, worthless idiots that deserve whatever woes befall them... and one can be sure that they wish the same on us.

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 06:27:10 PM »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 07:10:54 PM »