Author Topic: TexasCop  (Read 13909 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: TexasCop
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
Dang it Tots- we might have been neighbors  :cheersmate:  I know we've talked about the Arlington connection and how I worked on Six Flags Dr/Randol Mill a few years ago, but I don't think we've discussed Lewisville.
When did your SIL graduate? Most of my students went to Marcus.  When I was there, the Highland Village/Shores area seemed like the countryside. Texas Hamburger Factory on 407 was our go-to for lunch.  There was also a little Chinese restaurant and a Sonic close by. My teacher friends and I would get out of school, stop by Sonic for a vanilla coke, and then head to the dock of the YMCA day camp on the lake.  Good times.

My SIL graduated in 89 or 90.  I think 90.  She grew up in Highland Village.  I lived in the apartments, off of Corporate drive, before Vista Ridge existed.  Matter of fact, we used to bike ride on all of those empty roads.  I worked at a pet store, near the Albertsons on Main St and Garden Ridge, and hung out at Sneaky Petes.  Was going to school up in Denton.  Crazy huh?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »
My SIL graduated in 89 or 90.  I think 90.  She grew up in Highland Village.  I lived in the apartments, off of Corporate drive, before Vista Ridge existed.  Matter of fact, we used to bike ride on all of those empty roads.  I worked at a pet store, near the Albertsons on Main St and Garden Ridge, and hung out at Sneaky Petes.  Was going to school up in Denton.  Crazy huh?

Ah, so SIL graduated before I taught in the district.
I lived in apartments off Corporate at one point as well. I think that's a req for all new people - ha! There was a driving range right across the street. I can't remember the name of the apartment complex. Vista Ridge was there by that time, as well as a few restaurants. Nothing like today though.  I did plenty of shopping at that Albertsons. I think there was a dollar theater in the same shopping center.

Maybe we crossed paths at one point. Definitely crazy!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
I used to ride my bike on 635. Of course it was under construction way back then and I didn't live too far from it in Garland.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »
My wife knows EVERYBODY in LE.  She can't go anywhere without former students mugging her.  It was population 3,000 when she started working there and it's now 24,000, I believe.  It's amazing the growth.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
My wife knows EVERYBODY in LE.  She can't go anywhere without former students mugging her.  It was population 3,000 when she started working there and it's now 24,000, I believe.  It's amazing the growth.

It has been at least 7-8 years since I've even passed by on 35.  I couldn't believe how much had changed. I probably wouldn't recognize it now.

Do you know Buddy Bonner? I think he's something in administration now. We used to teach together.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »
She doesn't.  Was he LISD or LEISD?

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »
LISD. I just looked him up. He's head of HR now. Taught social studies back in the day, and was hilarious. That guy cracked me up all the time.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
Ohhhh, I'll ask my sis in law next time I see her.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »
Damn, there're a lot of people that live or have lived in this one small area. DFW is taking over the board.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »
The northern suburbs of Dallas are extremely conservative areas.  Most conservative voters fled the urban blight and corruption of Dallas for the freshly grown corrupt suburbs.  ;)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »
Damn, there're a lot of people that live or have lived in this one small area. DFW is taking over the board.

Woot Woot!  DFDub in the house!    :thatsright:

LOL. 

And TC, not to mention the skyrocketing property taxes in the city.  Oy Vey!  I don't live north anymore, but I don't live in Dallas either. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 11:26:23 PM »
We should have a Lake Texoma gathering sometime this spring/ summer.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »

I'd love to attend. Just let me know if/when and I'll fly home.  I try to get back to DFW once a quarter or so.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2011, 03:42:49 AM »

I missed Texas on my last trip to the States and have been looking for an excuse to go through there....

Offline true_blood

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 01:06:55 PM »
Welcome to the Cave TexasCop. :cheersmate:

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
I missed Texas on my last trip to the States and have been looking for an excuse to go through there....

The more the merrier :).

If Texoma doesn't work out, my parents have a place in Midlothian. Plenty of space to party, cookout, swim, etc.  They would be happy to host us.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »
The more the merrier :).

If Texoma doesn't work out, my parents have a place in Midlothian. Plenty of space to party, cookout, swim, etc.  They would be happy to host us.

Brisket Nachos???   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »
Brisket Nachos???   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh hell yeah!  Thanks for the reminder.

Offline Thor

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
I do a pretty decent brisket in the smoker. Better than most of what I've found around here.

BTW, WTF is up with "BBQ gravy" ?!?!?!?!? :puke:

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »
I do a pretty decent brisket in the smoker. Better than most of what I've found around here.

BTW, WTF is up with "BBQ gravy" ?!?!?!?!? :puke:

Ooooh- I love it in the smoker. My parents don't have one, so don't hate on us  :rotf: !!! Just kidding.

BBQ gravy? Heresy.

Offline Thor

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
Ooooh- I love it in the smoker. My parents don't have one, so don't hate on us  :rotf: !!! Just kidding.

BBQ gravy? Heresy.

I won't hate on you too much for not having a smoker. Sometimes, they're just impractical to own. However, a decent grill is a MUST!!

Here's my grill: (not a very good pic, but you'll get the idea)

This is the same grill I was forced to leave up in MN when I left:

(I swiped the pic from the net, so I don't know who the man is)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:11:49 PM by Thor »

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2011, 09:01:28 PM »

Both look great Thor. My parents' grill was a gift and is currently hooked up to an outdoor bar.  They have plenty of room for a smoker, so maybe I can get my dad interested :)

I have a Weber S-320.  I left my crappy one back in Dallas and bought this once I arrived in Chicago. I've been very pleased with it.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
I won't hate on you too much for not having a smoker. Sometimes, they're just impractical to own. However, a decent grill is a MUST!!

Here's my grill: (not a very good pic, but you'll get the idea)

This is the same grill I was forced to leave up in MN when I left:

(I swiped the pic from the net, so I don't know who the man is)

That grill looks like mine, we had to buy the rotisserie separate and I bent the darn thing when I put on a huge pork butt.

What the heck is BBQ Gravy ?   

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
Welcome aboard, TC.

Thanks for your service, past and present!
What Eupher said, and sorry I am late to the welcome wagon.  I'd like to say it won't happen again, but I don't make promises I can't keep. :-)
BTW, was that you posting a nice ride in the Lounge the other day.  If so, it's a beaut. :cheersmate:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »
What Eupher said, and sorry I am late to the welcome wagon.  I'd like to say it won't happen again, but I don't make promises I can't keep. :-)
BTW, was that you posting a nice ride in the Lounge the other day.  If so, it's a beaut. :cheersmate:

Yup, thanks!  I drove a POS for too many years!