Author Topic: McClellan gives no new evidence (his charges are out of a Woodward book!?!?!)  (Read 11757 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

President Wilson, is that you?

if they cared so much we woudn't have to go in and give it to them.

Tenneman Square really proves your point here.  Those folks don't need any help.  The communist Chinese government caved under the pressure and today all Chinese people are in charge of their own lives.  I hear tell they can even have a second child now - as long as there first state-authorized child was killed in an earthquake. 

:whatever:

how about the Berlin Wall?

Exactly.  Its existence was a testament to the natural human yearning for freedom.   

yes, if the people of the country really wanted to.  We didn't go into East Germany to "introduce democracy"

there may not have been an actual invasion, but what did you think the cold war was all about?

it was an ideological conflict.  The people in E. Germany did want a change from their Authoritarian government.  They rose up and changed it.  Do you think that if a majority of the people in china actually rose up against their government today, instead of a handful of students, that they would try to suppress them in the same manner?

and BOTH of those cases are examples of the natural human desire for individual liberty and democratic government.  one just worked, while the other failed.

do you recall what the original discussion was about?

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor

Tenneman Square really proves your point here.  Those folks don't need any help.  The communist Chinese government caved under the pressure and today all Chinese people are in charge of their own lives.  I hear tell they can even have a second child now - as long as there first state-authorized child was killed in an earthquake. 

Exactly.  Its existence was a testament to the natural human yearning for freedom.   

yes, if the people of the country really wanted to.  We didn't go into East Germany to "introduce democracy"

there may not have been an actual invasion, but what did you think the cold war was all about?

it was an ideological conflict.  The people in E. Germany did want a change from their Authoritarian government.  They rose up and changed it.  Do you think that if a majority of the people in china actually rose up against their government today, instead of a handful of students, that they would try to suppress them in the same manner?

and BOTH of those cases are examples of the natural human desire for individual liberty and democratic government.  one just worked, while the other failed.

yep, but my examples of countries giving up democracy with a vote counter that.

LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline formerlurker

Wow.  Seriously?   

Please explain humanitarian missions for me.      You'll get to the seriously flawed reasoning behind your statement there, but I believe it is going to take some considerable work.

Offline formerlurker

Uh, yes.   

I guess prisoners really like those 3 square meals a day too, cause they do little about their situations either.

THE PILLARS OF DEMOCRACY

Sovereignty of the people.

Government based upon consent of the governed.

Majority rule.

Minority rights.

Guarantee of basic human rights.

Free and fair elections.

Equality before the law.

Due process of law.

Constitutional limits on government.

Social, economic, and political pluralism.

Values of tolerance, pragmatism, cooperation, and compromise.

You want to try again with your list of failed democracies?   

Offline Wretched Excess

that just doesn't track with history or reality.  typically, what happens is that a country elects a leader that later manipulates the apparatus to create a thugocracy from what was a democracy.

not quite the same.

Offline JohnMatrix

that just doesn't track with history or reality.  typically, what happens is that a country elects a leader that later manipulates the apparatus to create a thugocracy from what was a democracy.

not quite the same.

The ones I listed, especially the south American ones, openly ran as Marxists/fascists.  The people knew what they were getting into.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
FWIIW, scottie mctraitor has already fallen off the news pages. his 15 minutes of fame are up and now he has a lifetime of infamy to look forward to.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline JohnMatrix

Wow.  Seriously?   

Please explain humanitarian missions for me.      You'll get to the seriously flawed reasoning behind your statement there, but I believe it is going to take some considerable work.

Humanitarian missions aren't about democratizing the people.

Offline Wretched Excess

not quite the same.

The ones I listed, especially the south American ones, openly ran as Marxists/fascists.  The people knew what they were getting into.

fine.  then the south americans are the exceptions that prove the rule. 

I'm not sure that bizarre forms of government found in 2 or 3 chaotic little south american countries are anything but a footnote in the face of the ever expending democratization of the rest of the PLANET, but if you want to hang onto your banana republics as incontrovertible proof that basic human nature craves to be oppressed by despots, then knock yourself out.

Offline formerlurker

Wow.  Seriously?   

Humanitarian missions aren't about democratizing the people.

Answer the question.

Offline formerlurker

Uh, yes.   

I guess prisoners really like those 3 square meals a day too, cause they do little about their situations either.

THE PILLARS OF DEMOCRACY

Sovereignty of the people.

Government based upon consent of the governed.

Majority rule.

Minority rights.

Guarantee of basic human rights.

Free and fair elections.

Equality before the law.

Due process of law.

Constitutional limits on government.

Social, economic, and political pluralism.

Values of tolerance, pragmatism, cooperation, and compromise.

You want to try again with your list of failed democracies?   

Anytime you are ready.