Author Topic: Obama v Fox News - Greta responds to his whining....  (Read 13370 times)

Offline seabelle

• "she walked into the cave...she was not afraid"
Obama v Fox News - Greta responds to his whining....
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
Fox is being mean to Oblahma  :evillaugh:  I like how Greta Van Susteren responded to his CNBC interview:

http://gretawire.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/06/16/the-answer/

Many of you have asked me why we don't have President Obama on Fox News Channel.  Here is a partial transcript from an interview President Obama had on CNBC today explaining why and my response follows:

Subject: FW: Obama on CNBC

CNBC Interview with Obama (aired June 16 @ 4:43) - question about the favorable press he's been getting:

OBAMA: I've got one television station entirely devoted to attacking my administration

CNBC: I assume you're talking about FOX

OBAMA: That's a pretty big megaphone and you'd be hard-pressed if you watched the entire day to find a positive story about me on that front.

Fox continues to beat the other cable news channels' numbers combined !

This is why, as Greta begins:

My response:

As a preamble, the President has said, in essence, and on multiple occasions,  that he knows the job of the media is to challenge those who hold office and that he respects journalists who challenge office holders.  The President has said that challenging our government is am important part of our democracy.

The goal of the media should not be to do only positive stories - but rather to challenge and to get information. That does not mean that favorable stories should not be done but that paramount to the those stories should be the inquiry, the interviews seeking information (and yes, this can be done in a polite manner.)  We have seen the extreme situations  - what happens in other countries where the media is beholden to the government or is even owned by the government.

I have interviewed President Obama.  I interviewed him when he was a US Senator not running for President and I KNOW he enjoyed the interview and thought I was fair. I enjoyed the interview and I wanted to hear what he had to say.

Now the President won't appear on Fox.  I have been told that he does not like me or ON THE RECORD at 10pm  or my network mainly  because of our Reverend Wright coverage. I have two things to say about that: 1st, I bet I have as much if not more years working on the street with poor African Americans than the President does.  I earned my stripes to ask him about Reverend Wright.  Yes, the President has done much but guess what? So have I and I am just as committed to equality and opportunity (for all)  which is why Reverend Wright was so appalling to me and I thought the President needed to explain his association with him.  I don't think running for President gives you a pass and felt it a topic he should address........

...snip....in conclusion, she writes:

Remember, the President is holding a grudge about our coverage for something that he ultimately agreed about -- Reverend Wright and his incendiary comments.  The President did not like that we held his feet to the fire but I suspect he might respect us for it since he, himself, as talked about the media and its role in democracy.

I don't think the President is afraid of Fox  - he is a very smart  and tough man - but  I do think he holds a grudge.  I wish he would not  hold grudges (although I confess to hold a few myself...) There is a huge Fox audience that he represents since he is the President of all Americans - he should not limit himself to only the news organizations that he thinks are friendly to him or cheerleaders for him.  He should speak to the Fox audience, too.  He is the President for ALL.

Oh, and don't forget to read the responses to her blog post, always fun to read through them  :popcorn:

Offline Lanie

Re: Obama v Fox News - Greta responds to his whining....
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:11:05 AM »
First of all, everybody who isn't far to the right knows Fox News has a righty bias. That's not to say there isn't a lefty bias elsewhere, but Fox has a righty bias. It's sensible for a lefty not to trust having an interview with them.

Second, I'd like to hear Obama's side of this story regarding the Greta interview. Maybe there's a piece of the pie we don't know about. I already find it suspicious that Greta didn't attempt to show any objectivity here.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »
First of all, everybody who isn't far to the right knows Fox News has a righty bias. That's not to say there isn't a lefty bias elsewhere, but Fox has a righty bias. It's sensible for a lefty not to trust having an interview with them.

Second, I'd like to hear Obama's side of this story regarding the Greta interview. Maybe there's a piece of the pie we don't know about. I already find it suspicious that Greta didn't attempt to show any objectivity here.

Did President Bush carry on about the negative press he received from various (98 %) of the media outlets?
Fine having your underlings do this but shows how thin skinned and arrogant O is.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:30:43 AM »

News flash, Lanie. Bias exists EVERYWHERE. Fox has a righty bias, and MSNBC has a lefty bias. For a politician to refuse to be "challenged" (as Greta puts it) by a journalist working for a news organization that holds a bias opposite him/her smacks of elitism, fear, and cowardice. It tells me he can't articulate what his handlers are doing in his name.

And good luck getting Lord Zero to tell "his side of the story."

From where I'm sitting, Greta's article - as posted - wasn't meant to show "objectivity". It was meant simply to tell the story as she saw it.

Tell me, when was the last time you saw an objective news story in which the journalist actually said she holds grudges too?

Lanie, put down the Kool-Aid. It's gonna be a long day.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »
So, basically, Bridget, you're defending his decision to deny interviews to a news organization that he doesn't agree with politically.  How far down that road is banning them entirely?

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »
I find it hilarious that the jackass is bitching about one station when 95% of the rest are giving him a proverbial blowjob on a daily basis.

Fox "may" lean to the right on their commentaries, but they at least try to offer countering points of view.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »

So tell me, all the other news media, are they centralist?

In what way, especially when it's the President?

And there is objectivity on CNN, MSNBC, CBS....................... :bs:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »
I find it hilarious that the jackass is bitching about one station when 95% of the rest are giving him a proverbial blowjob on a daily basis.

Fox "may" lean to the right on their commentaries, but they at least try to offer countering points of view.

How typical of a man to not like the one who won't give him a BJ... :uhsure:  :fuelfire:  :lmao:

I can't remember where I read it, but it was in the last month, regarding Fox being all conservatives. Obviously Hannity is Republican, O'Reilly is neutral, but the article said Greta was a Democrat.

While Fox may lean more "right" in some people's opinion....I think the reality of Fox is that they are in the center...where they are all SUPPOSED to be! Everyone else is becoming so far left that people can't recognize what "center" looks like!!!

I watch Fox and have it on the TV most of the following times as I have a TV in my office and I can work to TV whereas I cannot to any type of music. I sometimes wathc early morning, almost always from 3-7pm if I am home, and often will watch the repeats of O'Reilly and Hannity that start here at 11pm, if I am up working and may watch Greta depending on if I'm still up. Therefore I think I'm capable of giving an opinion of Fox as opposed to those who voice their opinions and never even watch the channel.

Fox, almost always....when having an opinion session....will have a conservative and a liberal along with the commentator. The "discussions" can get quite heated. But, BOTH sides are represented.

They have guests which are both conservative AND liberal who donot have someone else on, at the same time, with opposing viewpoints.

And there are often guests on who are NOT giving a political opinion...imagine that?!?!?!  
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

Really?  I bet all of the Liberal commentators...analysts and reporters would be surprised by your uneducated take on their news channel.

What drives you Libs up the wall is that when Fox reports a story they report BOTH SIDES...not just the side YOU want to hear.

Its actual reporting versus propaganda.

He's made his opinion on the subject very clear.  Or is your head jammed so far up your posterior you haven't heard any of the soundbites lately?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:58:03 AM »
Perhaps I'm too far right, but I think that Fox News is center left. However, they aren't afraid to hold ANYBODY's feet to the fire, as it should be. If a person is afraid or unable to answer the tough questions, the they're hiding something or simply ignorant. In either case, that doesn't make for a good leader. I DO like Fox news as they don't televise the pablum that the other "news" stations do. I don't like Fox news because they have too many advertisements. During their ads, I'll flip over to the other news channels and often catch other news items of interest. Finally, many people can't comprehend that the op-ed shows are just that. Those shows, like O'Reilly, Hannity, & Greta are simply "op-ed" shows vs actual news reports.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »
Perhaps I'm too far right, but I think that Fox News is center left. However, they aren't afraid to hold ANYBODY's feet to the fire, as it should be. If a person is afraid or unable to answer the tough questions, the they're hiding something or simply ignorant. In either case, that doesn't make for a good leader. I DO like Fox news as they don't televise the pablum that the other "news" stations do. I don't like Fox news because they have too many advertisements. During their ads, I'll flip over to the other news channels and often catch other news items of interest. Finally, many people can't comprehend that the op-ed shows are just that. Those shows, like O'Reilly, Hannity, & Greta are simply "op-ed" shows vs actual news reports.

I dunno, during the morning shows they have their share of celebutard stories, but unfortunately in this country that elected an American Idol president that is to be expected.

They still have the hottest reporters, though.  :evillaugh:

Offline Lanie

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »
So, basically, Bridget, you're defending his decision to deny interviews to a news organization that he doesn't agree with politically.  How far down that road is banning them entirely?

There is a difference between not wanting an interview with a place and wanting to ban them. Ann Coulter refuses to be interviewed by many people. Does that make her anti-freedom of the press? No. That's quite a leap there.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 12:53:40 PM »
There is a difference between not wanting an interview with a place and wanting to ban them. Ann Coulter refuses to be interviewed by many people. Does that make her anti-freedom of the press? No. That's quite a leap there.

One runs the country; the other is a commentator.

Tell me that's not the best you can do.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lanie

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »
Really?  I bet all of the Liberal commentators...analysts and reporters would be surprised by your uneducated take on their news channel.

What drives you Libs up the wall is that when Fox reports a story they report BOTH SIDES...not just the side YOU want to hear.

Its actual reporting versus propaganda.

He's made his opinion on the subject very clear.  Or is your head jammed so far up your posterior you haven't heard any of the soundbites lately?

I think most media reports countering povs. However, many of them might lean a certain way. I do very much think Fox leans right. It's too obvious.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 12:59:27 PM »
I think most media reports countering povs. However, many of them might lean a certain way. I do very much think Fox leans right. It's too obvious.

...and the fact that you don't see the others leaning rabid-assed far left proves you're crazy as a fruitbat.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »

The Fox commentators lean to the right. The reporters on the other networks do not only lean to the left, they refuse to see any other viewpoints.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »
I don't think she knows the difference between a reporter and a commentator. Then again, her flavor of reporting has blurred that line in such an indistinguishable manner, I guess it's understandable.

Offline 5412

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »
I don't think she knows the difference between a reporter and a commentator. Then again, her flavor of reporting has blurred that line in such an indistinguishable manner, I guess it's understandable.

Hi Rebel,

I have read this entire thread and have a much different take.  Who really cares if Fox leans right or not?  The one undisputed fact is all the rest do not report the news, they are nothing more than propaganda machines for the DNC.  No matter what Bush did it was wrong, no matter what BO does it is right.  As a senior citizen I shudder to think how many years we were fed this garbage without realizing it.  EVERY AMERICAN SHOULD THANK GOD FOR FOX NEWS! 

When I learned about the Constitution, I recall that freedom of the press was so the media could be watch dogs......not lap dogs like the mainstream media.

regards,

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 02:06:51 PM »
I guess this means so much for a transparent administration. 0bama has done nothing but hide what he's doing/ attempting to do and the majority of the main stream media are his accomplices.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lanie

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 02:16:09 PM »

I think I said there were others with a lefty slant. I sort of wondered if the whole left wing media conspiracy theory thing wasn't true after Sarah. I still wonder. But I have to say that people really far to the left think the mainstream media has a right wing bias.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »

I'm sorry you studied jourmalism where?

Bridget this is one debate you do NOT want to get into with me.

You'd be bringing a knife to a gunfight.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »

Thanks to CNN and MSNBC the line between commentary and hard news reporting has been so blurred that people like Bridget can't and don't know the difference.

And it hurts their little pointy heads to the extent they say silly stuff like "Fox News is biased to the Conservatives!"

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
I think I said there were others with a lefty slant. I sort of wondered if the whole left wing media conspiracy theory thing wasn't true after Sarah. I still wonder. But I have to say that people really far to the left think the mainstream media has a right wing bias.

You "SORT OF WONDERED"?  The people far to the left don't think the mainstream media has a right wing bias they just say it does (they think the more they say it the more OTHER people will believe it).  They know that they are on their side 99% of the time.  If you are intellectually honest you would admit it too, it would earn you a hell of a lot more respect around here.   

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 04:02:59 PM »
Journalism is dead, ententertainment commentary tainted by liberal rage is all that remains. Fox is just more right leaning then any other "news" outlet.  The difference, as pointed out earlier, is the even the HATED Bill O'Reilly puts on BOTH SIDES of the argument - he may agree with the conservative view (and not always at that) but he lets both sides say their piece. 

Do keith olbermann, bill maher, wolf blitzer or any of the others on CBS, NBC, CNN ever showcase opposing views???
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »
Journalism is dead, ententertainment commentary tainted by liberal rage is all that remains. Fox is just more right leaning then any other "news" outlet.  The difference, as pointed out earlier, is the even the HATED Bill O'Reilly puts on BOTH SIDES of the argument - he may agree with the conservative view (and not always at that) but he lets both sides say their piece. 

Do keith olbermann, bill maher, wolf blitzer or any of the others on CBS, NBC, CNN ever showcase opposing views???

There have been quite a few things that I disagree on with O'Reilly.