Author Topic: Why did we lose this election?  (Read 15633 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Why did we lose this election?
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
an open question

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Why did we lose this election?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »
because the GOP neglected their base and refused to put forth a candidate that would truly represent the GOP. In addition, the one shining example was reined in and not allow to draw the base back together. Finally, when the candidate faced challenges, he ran and hid like a coward. The Dems made so many allegations that went unchallenged and conversely, the Dems violated ethics and again, went unchallenged. The GOP has been asleep this past election.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
Furthermore, Obama ACTED like a leader. He drew his base together, alienated folks from the GOP with slick campaign rhetoric and essentially, his campaign managers were on the ball. Like it or not, believe it or not, but it's the truth.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »
because the GOP neglected their base and refused to put forth a candidate that would truly represent the GOP. In addition, the one shining example was reined in and not allow to draw the base back together. Finally, when the candidate faced challenges, he ran and hid like a coward. The Dems made so many allegations that went unchallenged and conversely, the Dems violated ethics and again, went unchallenged. The GOP has been asleep this past election.

outstanding!

not the attack  would have made, but OUTSTANDING

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »
Furthermore, Obama ACTED like a leader. He drew his base together, alienated folks from the GOP with slick campaign rhetoric and essentially, his campaign managers were on the ball. Like it or not, believe it or not, but it's the truth.

as much as I hate to admit, he was a better leader that mccain

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:41:42 PM »

It was a pretty convincing act, wasn't it?  Who knew Arial Bold and a slick logo could get you elected to the White House?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:43:02 PM »
hey, chris, let me know if he blows, ok?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »
Yeah, he blows.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling this is just the foreplay.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:38 PM »
Yeah, he blows.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling this is just the foreplay.

speak for yourself, dick.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
If you wanted to insult me, you coulda just sent a PM. 

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 01:06:11 AM »
I don't think McCain ignored the base of the party. He chose Palin precisely because he wanted to energize to the base. And it worked.

IMO, here are the two reasons we lost the election:

1. McCain was a poor campaigner. He did not do well in the debates. He could not out-talk Obama. In hindsight, Romney or Giuliani would have debated circles around Obama.

2. The economy took a nose dive just before the election. Remember, McCain was ahead in the polls less than one month before the election. But Obama successfully linked McCain to Bush, and said McCain would give us four more years of "Bush's failed economic policies." Unfair, but it worked. People wanted a change. They got it. Let's see if they like it.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 01:13:47 AM »
Because McLame did not gather the conservatives until it was too late with Sarah Palin. Granted, she was a breeze of cool, clean air for those of us who were painfully deciding whether to play party or principles here. But then McCain screwed up and voted for the almost trillion dollar bailout for the mortgage and banking industries, stabbing conservatives in the back once again.

Well, look at this way. Reagan ran in 1976 after a lame duck presidency of Gerald Ford and lost. Then Carter came in, f**ked up the country for 4 years, and in came Reagan, speaking eloquently and telling the voters everything would be okay with the right policies in place and make America a "city shining on the hill" once again after years of double digit unemployment, double digit inflation, a rescue operation gone awry for the 50 Americans held hostage by the Islamist savages in Iran, etc.

I have a very good feeling since B Hussein 0bama is our 21st century Jimmy 'Tarder, Sarah Palin will be our new Ronaldus Maximus.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Miss Begotten

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 04:27:17 AM »
I don't think McCain ignored the base of the party. He chose Palin precisely because he wanted to energize to the base. And it worked.

I disagree all the way around.  The voters who were attracted to Palin would never in a million years have voted for Obama.  Palin only alienated all the moderate Republicans.  Every single person I know who normally would have voted Republican was scared away by her lack of experience.

IMO, here are the two reasons we lost the election:

1. McCain was a poor campaigner. He did not do well in the debates. He could not out-talk Obama. In hindsight, Romney or Giuliani would have debated circles around Obama.

Now if you can't say anything else nice about Obama surely you must admit he is a first rate orator.

2. The economy took a nose dive just before the election. Remember, McCain was ahead in the polls less than one month before the election. But Obama successfully linked McCain to Bush, and said McCain would give us four more years of "Bush's failed economic policies." Unfair, but it worked. People wanted a change. They got it. Let's see if they like it.

In hindsight Romney would have been a far better pick for a  number of reason, principally for this reason but because he wouldn't have scared the moderates.

Offline Manbearpig

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Worf is so fierce...
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 04:50:24 AM »
Every single person I know who normally would have voted Republican was scared away by her lack of experience.

She doesn't lack experience.  Apparently those people are gullible and would believe anything the MSM dishes out. ::)
Hey Obama...

"We think you're a joke
Shove your hope
Where it don't shine..."

-- "Shove It" by Santogold

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 05:02:15 AM »
Now if you can't say anything else nice about Obama surely you must admit he is a first rate orator.
And I'm sure he'll be orating every commie and jihadist shitbag to come down the pike with wild abandon.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Miss Begotten

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 05:07:35 AM »

She doesn't lack experience.  Apparently those people are gullible and would believe anything the MSM dishes out. ::)

Yes she was governor (of a state that who's entire population is not even 1/4 of that of the city of Chicago.)  Before that she was mayor of a town so small it makes my little town look like a thriving metropolitan city.  So no, she did not have enough experience to possibly lead our country.  Now I personally have a myriad of reason to be scared of her, but the lack of experience was the number one objection I heard from republicans.  I'm not saying she single handily lost you the election, you'd of lost anyway but out of all the Republican I know, every single one voted for Obama and she was the #1 reason. 

And I don't get my news from MSM, sorry.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 05:15:15 AM »
Yes she was governor (of a state that who's entire population is not even 1/4 of that of the city of Chicago.)  Before that she was mayor of a town so small it makes my little town look like a thriving metropolitan city.  So no, she did not have enough experience to possibly lead our country.  Now I personally have a myriad of reason to be scared of her, but the lack of experience was the number one objection I heard from republicans.  I'm not saying she single handily lost you the election, you'd of lost anyway but out of all the Republican I know, every single one voted for Obama and she was the #1 reason. 

Which still makes her more experienced than Bill Ayers' cabana boy you voted for.

Offline Miss Begotten

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 05:25:55 AM »
Obama had seven years of experience in the Illinois legislator before he became a senator.  He also graduated top of his class from Harvard.  Palin was barely qualified to be vice president of the PTA. 

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 05:50:28 AM »
Obama had seven years of experience in the Illinois legislator before he became a senator.  He also graduated top of his class from Harvard.  Palin was barely qualified to be vice president of the PTA. 

What EXECUTIVE experience did Obama have (running his campaign for 2 years doesn't count)?  Was he mayor of Chicago (probably not, his last name isn't Daley)?  Governor of Illinois?  Run a business?  I'll accept anything where he had to make a decision and accept the consequences of those decisions.

There is a vast difference between being a legislator and being an executive.  One of those differences is a legislator can abstain on a vote, or vote "present" (Obama's record in the Illinois State Senate: 140+ votes of present).  An executive can't.  To paraphrase Harry Truman, the buck stops with him.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 06:01:10 AM »
Palin had to actually get elected to her offices. Where he hid among 58 other state legislators voting "present" as a hand-picked heir to the most corrupt political machine since the Teapot Dome.

Why not talk about his 1 real turn at executive authority: the Chicago Annenberg Challenge. Nevermind the fact he served with his "close family friend" the unrepentant terrorist Bill Ayers--I'll give you a pass on that one. Let's talk exclusively about the $150 million dollars spent to supposedly improve education for a select group (as in: not all of them) of Chicago-area school children.

$150 million

Not every child of the 408k enrolled, just some who went to targetted schools.

What's that mone per child?

What's the result?

Why not trumpet the results as a campaign point of success?

Vice-president of the PTA? Obama STILL isn't qualified to serve in Palin's shadow.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 06:15:11 AM »

In hindsight Romney would have been a far better pick for a  number of reason, principally for this reason but because he wouldn't have scared the moderates.

Obama can only "orate" when the script is in front of him. Put him on his own and he stumbles and bumbles.

Romney, while he may be a decent businessman, is NOT the Republican we needed. If anything, he's a RINO. Take a look at Massachusetts. It's more left than the majority of the states in the US. He has done little to change it. This is another reason the GOP failed this cycle. The few viable candidates were just too wishy-washy. I liked Fred Thompson and Duncan Hunter. Thompson didn't seem committed to winning and Hunter was pretty much ignored during the primaries.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 06:25:24 AM »
Obama can only "orate" when the script is in front of him. Put him on his own and he stumbles and bumbles.

[youtube=425,350]ZxBX8sz3tO8[/youtube]

Gripping

Compelling

Awe-inspiring

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 06:55:42 AM »
1) Mike Huckabee.   I spit in his general direction every time he is on Fox;

2) "Real conservatives" voted for Obama by default (you really want me to go down this path again?);

3) Media;

4) Obama, the snake oil salesman, played his left-wing lapdog puppy constituents like the fools they are.    He is far more talented than Billy-Jeff in this regard.   As a die-hard political junky, you just can't help but admire how good he is at making promises, not following through on them, and then convincing his contituents that his failure to keep his promises are for their best interest.   

You liberals can put a fine designer gown and makeup on your pig, but we in the GOP can still see the pig.    :-)

Obama is not a fool.  He will not do anything he has promised to do with regard to the economy, foreign policy, or national defense.    You liberals may be handed a bone or two on the social policies (abortion etc), but don't hold your breath on the rest.   

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 07:03:06 AM »

Do you know where Alaska is?    [insert Tina Fey joke here]

While you may have mocked and ridiculed her for comments made about Russia, it still does not remove the fact that what she said is quite true, and carries some rather significant responsibilities.   Sarah Palin is the only governor in the United States that has active duty national guard units that she oversees.    She receives daily reports and high level briefings from Homeland Security, and actually has a security clearance (something your boy Obama would never be approved for).    She is more aware of the threats to our country than any other governor in the United States.    So yeah, that kind of makes her more qualified. 

You ever been to Arkansas?  It ain't exactly a booming metropolis.     We'll just leave it at that.     :whatever:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 07:07:05 AM »

Romney, while he may be a decent businessman, is NOT the Republican we needed. If anything, he's a RINO. Take a look at Massachusetts. It's more left than the majority of the states in the US. He has done little to change it. This is another reason the GOP failed this cycle. The few viable candidates were just too wishy-washy. I liked Fred Thompson and Duncan Hunter. Thompson didn't seem committed to winning and Hunter was pretty much ignored during the primaries.

Sure Romney did.  There are 16 Republicans in the MA state legislature.    He accomplished a lot under those circumstances.