Author Topic: GOP candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn't have shot Michael Brown  (Read 2246 times)

Offline mrclose

Well .. He's a great neurosurgeon anyway.  :hyper:

And what does .. "Knowing who he was" mean?  :(

FERGUSON • Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn’t have used deadly force against Michael Brown, the teenager whose fatal shooting by police Officer Darren Wilson sparked a national debate on race and the role of police.

Carson gave an interview to the Post-Dispatch on Friday afternoon after visiting Ferguson. When asked if he would have shot Brown if he were in Wilson’s shoes, Carson said: “It’s hard to say. I probably, knowing who he was, I probably just would have arrested him.”

Carson said he would have waited for backup before having the altercation.

A Justice Department investigation concluded that Wilson had reason to fear for his life and thus couldn’t be prosecuted for fatally shooting the unarmed 18-year-old.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/nick-pistor/gop-candidate-ben-carson-says-he-probably-wouldn-t-have/article_0e097a3d-ebde-5ed1-a89e-f382805ef1bd.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 05:51:00 PM by mrclose »
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline Boudicca

Re: GOP candidate Ben Carson says he probably wouldn't have shot Michael Brown
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
What Carson said is much more ignorant than anything Trump ever said.  Who is he to judge when he wasn't in that cop's shoes?  The more he talks the less I like what he has to say, assuming I can stay awake.  His sophorific tones are too soothing.  I continue to be impressed as hell by Cruz and so far, Fiorina.  Well, we shall see what gems they all come up with on the 16th with (presumably) hostile CNN interrogators.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline mrclose

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:22:14 PM »
What Carson said is much more ignorant than anything Trump ever said.  Who is he to judge when he wasn't in that cop's shoes?  The more he talks the less I like what he has to say, assuming I can stay awake.  His sophorific tones are too soothing.  I continue to be impressed as hell by Cruz and so far, Fiorina.  Well, we shall see what gems they all come up with on the 16th with (presumably) hostile CNN interrogators.

Boudicca

Who am I quoting here. :-)

I remember hearing, for the first time, Muslims pray, and how over time their sound evolved from being frightening in its strangeness to comforting in its cadence and repetition—I would feel the same peace when I listened to the sound of summer cicadas around my grandmother's house. I grew to love being awakened in the morning by the sound of the devout man who always came to pray under my bedroom window.

~ Anonymous

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 06:25:31 PM »
Our first black president?  The one whose Indonesian Muslim school name was Oblamalamadingdong? :spork:

I'm not impressed by THIS nugget from Bennie boy ( :whatever:to those who assume I'm racist for using boy), tell you that much:

“My beef with [the] Black Lives Matter movement has been I think they need to add a word, and that word is ‘all,’” Mr. Carson said. “All black lives matter.”

“Including the ones that are eradicated by abortions, including the ones that are eradicated on the streets every day by violence,” he said. “And we need to be looking at all of the factors that have kept the black community in a very dependent position for decades.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/11/ben-carson-add-all-black-lives-matter/

What the **** is wrong with someone saying ALL LIVES MATTER?!  Unborn or born, but for ****'s sake, what is with this obsession with black lives from all these black people?  WHY is Sheriff Clarke not running? :bawl: :bawl:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 06:32:10 PM by Boudicca »

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »
Since he was not there, he should not make comments like that. Kinda sounds like Obama. 

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
Question for ya, Doc. How do you "just arrest" a 6'+, 300 lb man who has already tried to take your gun and is now charging at you in an attempt to knock you unconcious? Did Darren Wilson not have a right to defend himself? Or are you implying that the shooting was intentional, and he had other options than deadly force?

Offline Fourwinds

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 11:25:36 PM »
And Dr. Carson would have wound up as a bloody pulp on the pavement. What would he have done? Ask nicely before  Brown beat him into the dirt?

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 06:28:42 AM »
Are we saying here that Carson has no right to speculate what he may have done if he was in the officer's shoes? He said nothing negative about the officer's actions, just that he thinks he would have behaved differently.

With that said, no one really knows how they'll act in high pressure situations. We know how we would like to act but that is as far as it goes.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 07:58:56 AM »
Are we saying here that Carson has no right to speculate what he may have done if he was in the officer's shoes? He said nothing negative about the officer's actions, just that he thinks he would have behaved differently.

With that said, no one really knows how they'll act in high pressure situations. We know how we would like to act but that is as far as it goes.

I know. I would have shot him.

I would have handled the first part of the contact differently from Darren Wilson. Sitting in his patrol car and talking to a robbery suspect was stupid - the kind of stupid that could have gotten him killed. Letting the suspect get inside the patrol car was twice as stupid.

That's my beef with George Zimmerman, too. Each did something stupid to precipitate the necessity of lethal force.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 11:30:58 AM »

Hi 5.  I couldn't agree more. This dude can put you to sleep with his unemotional and unmotivating speeches. I am certainly not impressed by him for a presidential candidate in the least.  He is a well respected neurosurgeon with conservative viewpoints and has written a few books. Big deal.  He has absolutely no political experience, absolutely no law experience and absolutely no business experience to speak of.  About all he has going for him right now is the fact that he is black.  We all know how that worked out for us with Barry.
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 02:18:47 PM »
Our first black president?  The one whose Indonesian Muslim school name was Oblamalamadingdong? :spork:

Carly Fiorina

~ Anonymous

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »
Carly Fiorina

Carly said THAT?  If so, she is on my not going to vote for shit list.  And it's getting longer all the time. :mad:

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »

Exactly, so why did he bother to opine?  With all the cop hate going on now, specifically aimed at white cop on black perp, why did he feel the need to add to the bonfire?  If it was to get black votes, he's pretty deluded, since they all tend to lockstep march with the dimmies.  I'm sure if Hillofbeans is the nominee they'll vote for her as she is being led away in shackles to the Big House.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »
Exactly, so why did he bother to opine?  With all the cop hate going on now, specifically aimed at white cop on black perp, why did he feel the need to add to the bonfire?  If it was to get black votes, he's pretty deluded, since they all tend to lockstep march with the dimmies.  I'm sure if Hillofbeans is the nominee they'll vote for her as she is being led away in shackles to the Big House.

Are you not opining now? Are not we all offering opinions? We all have a right to say what ever is on our minds and how we feel about things. I don't care to speculate on his reasons for making his comments because I don't know him well enough to feel comfortable making that determination. Was he pandering? Maybe. He also might have been giving people insight as to the nature of his character.

I guess I had better say that I am a supporter of Carson and I would have difficulty in supporting Trump. To me Trump sees like a Republican version of Obama. Same arrogance with the inability to admit he is wrong. I've had enough of that over the last seven years.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »
Are you not opining now? Are not we all offering opinions? We all have a right to say what ever is on our minds and how we feel about things. I don't care to speculate on his reasons for making his comments because I don't know him well enough to feel comfortable making that determination. Was he pandering? Maybe. He also might have been giving people insight as to the nature of his character.

I guess I had better say that I am a supporter of Carson and I would have difficulty in supporting Trump. To me Trump sees like a Republican version of Obama. Same arrogance with the inability to admit he is wrong. I've had enough of that over the last seven years.

Well, it's obvious you and I don't support the same candidate.  That said, my private opinion is just that, private, or as near to as makes no nevermind, expressed on a forum.  Trump gets criticized, roundly, for speaking his mind and I just think the same criticism should apply to the rest of them.  Considering also that the anti-cop, they're all after the black man rhetoric, is not at all helped by what Dr. Carson said.  Quite frankly, it was jarring to hear him talk about adding unborn BLACK lives to the BLM movement.  It did smack of a degree of exclusion of other ethnicities and races, and I've had more than enough of that with Obama.
Trump is an asshole, no doubt.  Carson is probably a really nice man.  Obviously one is smarter than the other when it comes to brain surgery but the other is superior in making buckets of money.  Now, after the lobotomy Obamanomics has given the nation perhaps a brain surgeon is in order, but my preference is for a man who knows how to take the fight to the competitor AND keep me entertained while he does it.  YMMV.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »

I am a Trump supporter but would vote for any Repub over the Hildabeast. I was a fan of Dr Carson until he started talking about black lives matter. Most people are tired of the race issue, and he has done himself harm in engaging in this type of crap. He also challenged Trump's faith which is also stupid on his part. Could be that he is more suited for Pastor than President.

I look for his campaign to fizzle out once the primaries get below the M.D. line.   

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 05:38:50 AM »
All of this media concentration on what are really booger flinging incidents just helps the RINO's and the DNC.

Breathless reports about "did you hear what this guy said about her looks or what this guy said about the others faith" take our collective eye off of what they believe and think from an issues stand point...and keeps any reporter from asking their opinion on important stuff...like how if elected President he/she is going to reverse the deal Obama made with Iran or get a handle on illegal immigration.

And at the end of the day it's the un-serious candidates...hoping to get some air time that are taking shots at Trump...and a lot of what he responds to is the proverbial "second punch".

Everyone forgets about Fiorina into an open mic on CNN 5 years ago trashing Barbra Boxer's looks.  Or Goober Graham calling Trump a "jackass" two months ago...Perry referring to him as "un-serious". And on and on.

Meanwhile look at what the President and the spineless GOP leadership are able to accomplish while we're distracted by someone's face...their faith and the size of their jet.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
All of this media concentration on what are really booger flinging incidents just helps the RINO's and the DNC.

Breathless reports about "did you hear what this guy said about her looks or what this guy said about the others faith" take our collective eye off of what they believe and think from an issues stand point...and keeps any reporter from asking their opinion on important stuff...like how if elected President he/she is going to reverse the deal Obama made with Iran or get a handle on illegal immigration.

And at the end of the day it's the un-serious candidates...hoping to get some air time that are taking shots at Trump...and a lot of what he responds to is the proverbial "second punch".

Everyone forgets about Fiorina into an open mic on CNN 5 years ago trashing Barbra Boxer's looks.  Or Goober Graham calling Trump a "jackass" two months ago...Perry referring to him as "un-serious". And on and on.

Meanwhile look at what the President and the spineless GOP leadership are able to accomplish while we're distracted by someone's face...their faith and the size of their jet.

Oh wow, didn't realize Fiorina criticized Boxer's looks. :whistling:
Actually, I'm looking at the sum total of the candidates' lives, what they've accomplished and how it can help make America the country I was born in to back in the late 50's.  A place where the pc police didn't exist, but real cops were treated with the respect 99% of them deserve.  A place where being proud to be an American wasn't a crime against humanity, and a place where there was a middle class.  There obviously is no such place as Utopia here on Earth, but that America hasn't been seen since the Reagan years and I'd like to see it that way again before I die, so that I can feel confident that my daughter won't be living under a tent dress and my son and grandson won't be the whipping boys for every damned minority grievance group out there. :fuelfire:

I have to trust the primary voters to realize that we've already had two so-called moderate candidates, both of whom went down in the general, and to pick someone with broad appeal and with a skill set that translates into making America successful once more.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »
Carly said THAT?  If so, she is on my not going to vote for shit list.  And it's getting longer all the time. :mad:

Given in Minneapolis, in which she defended the cultural, legal, and scientific heritage of the Muslim world.

The catch: It was delivered just weeks after 9/11.

It gets better!

How about a slobbering ode to all things Muslim?

Fiorina continued by rightfully pointing out that before the faith was marred, in some cases, by religious extremism it was the most advanced society on earth:

“There was once a civilization that was the greatest in the world. It was able to create a continental super-state that stretched from ocean to ocean, and from northern climes to tropics and deserts. Within its dominion lived hundreds of millions of people, of different creeds and ethnic origins.

And this civilization was driven more than anything, by invention. Its architects designed buildings that defied gravity. Its mathematicians created the algebra and algorithms that would enable the building of computers, and the creation of encryption. Its doctors examined the human body, and found new cures for disease. Its astronomers looked into the heavens, named the stars, and paved the way for space travel and exploration.

Its writers created thousands of stories. Stories of courage, romance, and magic. Its poets wrote of love, when others before them were too steeped in fear to think of such things…the civilization I’m talking about was the Islamic world from the year 800 to 1600.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:24:39 PM by mrclose »

~ Anonymous

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
Given in Minneapolis, in which she defended the cultural, legal, and scientific heritage of the Muslim world.

It gets better!

How about a slobbering ode to all things Muslim?
Any great knowledge the Muslims supposedly had was stolen....the Muslims have contributed nothing to the advancement of civilization.

If they were so smart, why haven't they led the world in inventions?
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »
Any great knowledge the Muslims supposedly had was stolen....the Muslims have contributed nothing to the advancement of civilization.

If they were so smart, why haven't they led the world in inventions?

Yeppers, and for that matter, where are all the great African inventors?  Crickets.
Hate it or not, most all of modern societies' lives are enhanced by the contributions of those awful white Anglo Saxon males, and those of the Far East.  I'm willing to trade all the advances others left in my life (George Washington Carver and peanut butter plus 300 other uses of peanuts and believe me, that man was SMART) as long as those who hate white folk give up all THEIR advantages.  And I absolu****inglutely LOVE peanut butter.

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
There's no telling what Ben Carson would do if a 300 pound bully was beating on his ass.

I know what I would do. I'd be hunting for some kind of advantage...gun...knife...dynamite.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 04:41:05 PM »

Mrclose, wow, again, no idea.  Why don't the media investigate some of this stuff?  I guess, yeah, everyone in both parties has said tons of shit that wouldn't pass the smell test, but only some are held up to account.  I love how Trump steamrolls over it all.  I've been pondering this question alot lately, namely, what is it about him that mesmerizes me so?  I was savvy enough to know exactly what Obama was before he even announced his candidacy the first time.  I know Trump has had a colorful life, although I never watched The Apprentice.  But he seems to be, I dunno, genuine and authentic.  You can fake alot of things, but you have a hard time faking that.  I'm no ignoramus, nor is anyone on this board.  I speak four languages, graduated at age 20 summa cum laude from a four-year university, and have lived and served both here and abroad, both in the military and on the homefront.  I've watched candidates come forth every four years spouting their mantras and they usually don't inspire much except a tepid enthusiasm, because the alternative is so much worse.  I don't feel like playing that game any more.  I don't feel like settling for second best.  I don't want moderation.  I don't want political correctness.  I don't want someone who is going to sit in the Oval Office and feel like now he/she has made it and it's four or eight years until the gravy train pulls in.  I don't want someone who is going to say one thing to one group one day, and turn around and say a different thing, in a different language, to another group another day.  I want someone who is not going to apologize for presiding over the greatest country that ever was, and ever will be, on the face of this planet.  I want a fighter.  If I want a preacher, I'll go to church.  If I want a teacher, I'll go back to school.  If I want a nurturer, I'll see a shrink or a friend.  I don't want to have a beer with the next president; I don't want to pray with the next president; I WANT a president who is proud to be American, who doesn't apologize for petty bullshit and who recognizes that while America is fallible, SHE IS MAGNIFICENT AND SHE BOWS TO NO ONE. 

PS:  Apologies for jacking this thread. :)

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »

Mrclose, wow, again, no idea.  Why don't the media investigate some of this stuff?  I guess, yeah, everyone in both parties has said tons of shit that wouldn't pass the smell test, but only some are held up to account.  I love how Trump steamrolls over it all.  I've been pondering this question alot lately, namely, what is it about him that mesmerizes me so?  I was savvy enough to know exactly what Obama was before he even announced his candidacy the first time.  I know Trump has had a colorful life, although I never watched The Apprentice.  But he seems to be, I dunno, genuine and authentic.  You can fake alot of things, but you have a hard time faking that.  I'm no ignoramus, nor is anyone on this board.  I speak four languages, graduated at age 20 summa cum laude from a four-year university, and have lived and served both here and abroad, both in the military and on the homefront.  I've watched candidates come forth every four years spouting their mantras and they usually don't inspire much except a tepid enthusiasm, because the alternative is so much worse.  I don't feel like playing that game any more.  I don't feel like settling for second best.  I don't want moderation.  I don't want political correctness.  I don't want someone who is going to sit in the Oval Office and feel like now he/she has made it and it's four or eight years until the gravy train pulls in.  I don't want someone who is going to say one thing to one group one day, and turn around and say a different thing, in a different language, to another group another day.  I want someone who is not going to apologize for presiding over the greatest country that ever was, and ever will be, on the face of this planet.  I want a fighter.  If I want a preacher, I'll go to church.  If I want a teacher, I'll go back to school.  If I want a nurturer, I'll see a shrink or a friend.  I don't want to have a beer with the next president; I don't want to pray with the next president; I WANT a president who is proud to be American, who doesn't apologize for petty bullshit and who recognizes that while America is fallible, SHE IS MAGNIFICENT AND SHE BOWS TO NO ONE. 

PS:  Apologies for jacking this thread. :)

Great post

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 10:40:58 AM »
Great post

Thanks.  It came from my heart and gut, and I am obviously not alone in feeling like a sweeping change needs to happen, now!