Author Topic: Proglodytes discuss St. Firestone  (Read 415 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Proglodytes discuss St. Firestone
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:15:29 PM »
riqster (6,008 posts)

Nelson Mandela was a saint. Most of us are not. Deal with it.

http://bluntandcranky.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/nelson-mandela-was-a-saint-most-of-us-are-not-deal-with-it/

I am raising that point because there are already politicians, pundits, and everyday schmucks trying to minimize Mandela’s greatness by “explaining” how he was really only doing what anyone else would have done, no big deal, and other such crap. Here is the blunt and cranky response:

Just stop talking, you purblind nitwits. SHUT THE ****ING **** UP.

By just reading those last two sentences, you can tell that I’m no saint. Mandela didn’t speak that way, even when subjected to far greater provocation.

Here are more examples:

Dick Cheney recently got a new heart, courtesy of a dying man who donated his organs. He publicly said that he hadn’t given any thought to the person who saved his life with that selfless act. Mandela used to say “thank you” to his prison guards on Robben Island.

This writer was raped as a young child, and has not forgiven those who raped him. Mandela forgave those who raped an entire nation and its people.

Mitch McConnell said that his entire focus had to be defeating everything that President Obama attempted to do, in order to gain political power. Mandela shared power with those who had done his party far more harm than the Dems had done to McConnell’s.

Get the picture? Some people are just plain saints, and to attempt to bring them down to our level is dishonest and despicable. Don’t try to cope with your feelings of inferiority by trying to drag down the few giants among us. Indeed, all of us would be better served if we tried to achieve sainthood ourselves.

This writer knows he’ll never be a tenth of what Mandela was, and will never accomplish a hundredth of what he did. And that’s OK. Some people are giants, and serve as an example to the rest of us. Don’t be jealous, be inspired.

Mandela was a giant, a genius, a tenacious fighter, and a saint. He earned all those titles. Leave them to him, and let him rest in peace. A peace he richly deserves, since he brought peace to millions of others.

former9thward (8,138 posts)

1. Mandela was not a saint.

No one is. And no one is going to "shut the ****ing up" despite attempts to shut down discussion.

Tommy_Carcetti (17,913 posts)

11. Well, "saints", at least in the Catholic view, are all considered flawed human beings.

Think St. Peter and the denial of Christ, etc.

But the thing about saints was that their virtues far outweighed whatever failings they may have had.

So theologically speaking, it's not that bad a comparison

riqster (6,008 posts)

15. Correct. Flawed people that overcome their flaws.

That is a saint.

White people and especially white Americans are NEVER afforded a fraction of this amount of forgiveness/sympathy on DU.

Does this mean they betray their hero's legacy?

cilla4progress (3,451 posts)

2. More like a Christ

I would say.

riqster (6,008 posts)

16. Not with the violent past.

He overcame that.

And yet South-bashing remains a prime sport on DU despite the fact Jim Crowe and lynchings are from decades past...more decades than the necklacing attacks of South Africa.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10024141442
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Proglodytes discuss St. Firestone
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:17:41 PM »
"St. Firestone."

Damn, that's awesome.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Dori

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
"St. Firestone."

Damn, that's awesome.

Good catch.... :-)

That went right over my head when I first read it.

I know the left has a religion now.  St. Skittles, now St. Firestone.  I wonder what kind of saint Obione will be.  :whatever:
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
Good catch.... :-)

That went right over my head when I first read it.

I know the left has a religion now.  St. Skittles, now St. Firestone.  I wonder what kind of saint Obione will be.  :whatever:

Saint Choom maybe?
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:05:41 PM »
former9thward (8,138 posts)

1. Mandela was not a saint.

No one is. And no one is going to "shut the ****ing up" despite attempts to shut down discussion.

:badass:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:08:28 PM »
Saint Choom maybe?

Ah ha.....so that's how he get's that halo   O-)
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Ah ha.....so that's how he get's that halo   O-)

Yep it's pot smoke.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
Yep it's pot smoke.

(at a white house policy meeting)

the O: duuuuuuude...... what was it I said about my uncle? I am so stoned right now...

carney: hey man, it's totally cool, just wing it, nobody remembers anything...

hillary: guys, I'm going to order like twenty pizzas, who wants some doritos?

One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)