Author Topic: crooked tale primitive exposes crooked automobile warranties  (Read 992 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6007845

Oh my.

The crooked tale primitive, who hasn't been as active as he used to be.

The Straight Story  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-07-09 03:42 PM
Original message

Car Warranty Racket Exposed On Today Show

US Fidelis exposed on NBC's Today show

The Today show recently aired a terrifically entertaining exposé of US Fidelis, one of the biggest companies behind the auto warranty racket that you've probably encountered via junk mail, telemarketing, or even on TV. They start by looking at an individual who spent $3,180 on one of their auto warranties only to be left stranded when her car overheated and they refused to pay.

"It's the biggest scam I ever got involved with," she told Today. She eventually got her warranty refunded after threatening to report US Fidelis to her state's Attorney General; this may have something to do with the fact that 40 state Attorneys General are currently investigating the company for misleading consumers.

The Today show goes on to point out that the company has 1100 complaints with the St. Louis Better Business Bureau. The St. Louis BBB president told Today, "In my 35 years of experience I've never seen this kind of activity on a company, where so many people have told us that this company is using deceptive practices and misleading advertising."

US Fidelis, a self-identified 'faith based' company, uses a halo for its logo, but its founder has served prison time for fraud.One hilarious detail pointed out by Today is that US Fidelis calls itself a "faith based" company and incorporates a halo in its logo. A halo! They must be trustworthy, then. On a related note, they point out that founder and president Darain Atkinson served time in prison in his 20s.

Still not convinced the company is crooked? (We know, you probably don't need any more convincing, but it's fun to talk about this stuff.) Here are a couple of interviews with former US Fidelis employees from the exposé:

Former Employee #1: We were told to give them the impression we were with Dodge, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, all of them.

http://consumerist.com/5234396/car-warranty-racket-expo...

I know it's from April, but thought worth posting now as their commercials are all over the place of late.

Only two primitives showed up at this bonfire, and said nothing important; the primitives seem preoccupied today, remembering one of their legends, the one not the pop singer funeralized in Lost Angeles today.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: crooked tale primitive exposes crooked automobile warranties
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »
Guess what Dummies? If it sounds to good to be true, it probly is, idiots!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:58:11 AM »
I always suggest the purchase of extended warranties from the manufactuer of the vehicle, rather then these other companies that promise to be cheaper.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »
I always suggest the purchase of extended warranties from the manufactuer of the vehicle, rather then these other companies that promise to be cheaper.

Never had any use for them except for warranty work.  I do, and continue to do, all my own repair work on all my vehicles....

The only time anything I have ever owned has seen the inside of a dealer's shop was for recalls....

Still get about 3 postcards a week proclaiming "my warranty is about to expire".  My warranty has been expired for over 3 years!
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:37:09 AM »
Never had any use for them except for warranty work.  I do, and continue to do, all my own repair work on all my vehicles....

The only time anything I have ever owned has seen the inside of a dealer's shop was for recalls....

Still get about 3 postcards a week proclaiming "my warranty is about to expire".  My warranty has been expired for over 3 years!

My father did all his own repair work, on everything from motorhomes to lawn equipment. He was a diesel mechanic by trade. He even hated to take things in for warranty work, as he didn't trust anyone.  :-)  That fear went away as he got older, and after I managed a couple of dealerships & hand picked who was going to work on the car.