Author Topic: Does anyone expect all 60 Democrats to vote together on anything??  (Read 548 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
kentuck  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Jul-01-09 11:07 AM
Original message
Does anyone expect all 60 Democrats to vote together on anything??

If not, of what use is a 60-vote veto-proof majority??

The thing we should keep in mind is that the "60 votes" do not all have to be Democrat. If we lose 3 or 4 Democrats on a vote but gain 3 or 4 Republicans, then we still have the 60 votes.

It is mostly about leadership and twisting arms and making deals in order to get the 60 votes. I'm not sure we have that type of leadership. We do not have any LBJ's in the Senate at this time. LBJ would say that he knew he could depend on the vote of one Senator or another because he "had his balls in his pocket". He knew how to pressure Senators to get his agenda passed.

The present Senate is not comprised of any such individuals as LBJ. They are mostly wimpish, compromising, bi-partisan chicken-shits that are afraid to step forward and do what the people want and need, for fear of losing their next election. They play it safe. There are no profiles in courage.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5965325

Wait just a second you are saying they wont step forward and do what the people want in fear of not getting re elected? :confused:
I would think if they did what the people wanted they would have job security.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Does anyone expect all 60 Democrats to vote together on anything??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »
Wow.

This takes the cake.

.....afraid to step forward and do what the people want and need, for fear of losing their next election. They play it safe. There are no profiles in courage.

If Senator Ben Nelson (D-Nebraska) does what the people of red-state Nebraska want and need, he's constantly assured re-election.

I don't get this "for fear of losing their next election," but I'm not a primitive; perhaps it makes sense to primitives.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »
Wow.

This takes the cake.

If Senator Ben Nelson (D-Nebraska) does what the people of red-state Nebraska want and need, he's constantly assured re-election.

I don't get this "for fear of losing their next election," but I'm not a primitive; perhaps it makes sense to primitives.

Maybe the primitives means what they think the people need, not what we want. Of course we just aren't smart enough or nuanced enough to realize that is what we need.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
The thing we should keep in mind is that the "60 votes" do not all have to be Democrat. If we lose 3 or 4 Democrats on a vote but gain 3 or 4 Republicans, then we still have the 60 votes.

Amazing, kentuck actually got something right for once, even if it was mixed in with all the normal stupid blather.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »
Amazing, kentuck actually got something right for once, even if it was mixed in with all the normal stupid blather.

Yep, even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.