Author Topic: W.C. Fields primitive questions the American flag  (Read 444 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
W.C. Fields primitive questions the American flag
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5959921

Oh my.

The W.C. Fields primitive:

Joe Fields (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-30-09 03:09 PM
Original message

I have a question about the American flag...

What prompted my question was a lady, who I saw at my favorite restaurant this morning. She wore an American flag shirt, and I wondered to my wife where it stopped being patriotic and began being blasphemous. Is an American flag bra or briefs acceptable for men and women? How about an American flag thong for women? What about American flag toilet paper? What could be more patriotic? American flag handkerchiefs? Would blowing a nose full of snot into an American flag handkerchief show off your patriotism?

Here's one for you...

I saw a pick up truck with both the American flag and Confederate flag decals on it. BTW, I live in Kansas City, MO., not Montgomery, Ala.

Any thoughts?

I dunno.

I suppose it depends upon culture.  In England, for example, I was taken aback at how the Union Jack was so promiscuously violated, but that of course was my using American Upper Great Plains standards applied to another culture.

I dunno.

The Rita Hayworth primitive:

[Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-30-09 03:13 PM
Response to Original message

1. It's a very interesting topic, and the Supreme Court has an interesting history with the flag.

Here's what you want to read to answer all your questions:

http://www.amazon.com/Flag-Burning-Free-Speech-Johnson/... 
/quote]

Joe Fields (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-30-09 03:16 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. Thanks for the insifht and the link. Yes, as I ate my biscuits and gravy this morning, my wife and I pondered the question. Just table talk, you know.

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-30-09 03:20 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. If you're old enough to remember all the protests during the Vietnam war, one of the biggest was flag-burning and then hippies who made shirts and capes out of the flag.

The Supreme Court took care of it very nicely. Saw it all as 'free speech,' but the history is much more complex - and a whole lot of fun to read about (at least for me) - so I hope you'll get it and enjoy it.............................

The Rita Hayworth primitive of course is old enough to remember all the Sacco-Venzetti protests, and probably even participated in them.

csziggy  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-30-09 03:14 PM

2. Legally, I think just about anything is allowed.

I feel like there should be limits, but that is not something I want to see legislated or policed.

For instance, I made a snarky comment on another thread about Palin "leaning on the flag" but that is more a comment on the symbology rather than a complaint about the way the flag is casually and in my opinion disrepectfully thrown over a chair back and then used as an armrest. If an American politician is so willing to treat the flag that way, I suspect many will be upset and let them know, but I don't think we need a law about it.

texastoast  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-30-09 03:22 PM

5. There is a lack of grace (not to mention etiquette) 

Lots of my "patriotic" puke neighbors just let their flags fade. They never take them down at sunset like they are supposed to if they are not lighted. I just don't like it when the flag is disrespected like that.

Guy Whitey Corngood  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-30-09 03:24 PM

6. I believe David Cross said it best:

"If you don’t have a flag sticking out of your ass, the terrorists win. Have flag pills to eat, then you shit out a flag. So order today! All flags made by Chinese prison labor, guaranteed!"

Oh my.  It's that time of the year again.
apres moi, le deluge