Author Topic: stumpy primitive starting to lose weight  (Read 542 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
stumpy primitive starting to lose weight
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=337x4339

Oh my.

Stump  (789 posts)     Sun Jun-14-09 03:25 PM
Original message

I'm starting tomorrow...

I've been working on quitting alcohol and I figured, "what better time to lose weight and get in shape?" So tomorrow I'm going to begin a diet that worked in the past.

I'll eat a bowl of Kashi Go Lean cereal with Silk soy milk in the morning, Slim-Fast for lunch (at first), and a lean dinner consisting of grilled chicken breast or fish along with a veggie. Snacks will consist of fruits or veggies, maybe yogurt or cottage cheese. Cardio will be performed daily and I'll sneak in push-ups and crunches as much as possible during the day.

Well, that's my plan. I'm open to suggestions. I'm a 5'6" male weighing in at 208. Initial goal is 195, shooting for 180 long-term. I'll keep you guys posted.

The baby-talk "veggies" again.

The stumpy primitive must be in his second infancy, if he ever grew out of his first.

Catshrink  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jun-14-09 05:32 PM
Response to Original message

1. Watch the carbs.

I do wish you luck, let me say that first.

Now for the rest... It doesn't look like you're planning on eating enough and are therefore setting yourself up for failure. I also think you might want to look at the carb intake and balance it out. Kashi Go Lean is great stuff -- I have it with yogurt and fruit every day. But moderate it -- it has a lot of carbs. Slim-Fast has a lot of sugar, at least the last time I checked. How much fiber are you eating? Fiber keeps hunger at bay. Another issue I see with your supper is that you have no carbs there and not a lot of fiber. Will that keep you until morning? I'd add some brown rice or a slice of whole grain bread or something like that to your evening meal. When school was in session, I'd have a small bowl of raisin bran when I got home then my main supper an hour or two later. I got my carbs and didn't have the hunger rush I used to get in the early evening -- you know, the kind where you inhale the contents of the refrigerator.

Don't try to do it too fast and make sure you drink a lot of water. Keep us posted on your progress and really, best of luck! Don't get discouraged.

Now wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.

I thought that was the gigantic primitive's plan, to lose weight by ingesting massive amounts of carbohydrates. 

So who's right, the psychiatric feline primitive, or the gigantic primitive?

backtoblue  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-16-09 01:29 PM

2. Good Luck!

I need to drop about 30 lbs myself, but my weight is due to my lack of motivation. I'm 5'4 and weigh 160 lbs. (not huge, but unhealthy) Keep us updated as to how your diet is going, K?

After two days, the stumpy primitive reports in:

Stump  (789 posts)     Tue Jun-16-09 05:49 PM

3. I know it's just water weight but...

I still weighed in at 204.5 this morning. Must be on the right track least.

Catshrink  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-16-09 05:55 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Good for you!

Even if it is just water weight, it's a great feeling and very motivating.

Another day, another report from the stumpy primitive:

Stump  (789 posts)     Wed Jun-17-09 08:10 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. 204 this morning...

Moving right along.

Catshrink  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jun-17-09 11:04 AM
Response to Reply #5

6. Great news!

I'm fighting a reemergence of a salt craving. Damn Fresh & Easy! They had samples out and I thought "Oh, a tiny cup of potato chips (like 3 maybe). A taste, not bad." Well that set me off. I haven't succumbed yet but I'm struggling here! I should have gone for the fruit. I knew that.

Four days later, an update from the stumpy primitive:

Stump  (789 posts)     Sun Jun-21-09 08:00 AM

7. 201.5 lbs

I even eat a ribeye steak and had a reasonable amount of ice cream yesterday. But I'm still making smart choices like drinking water and snacking on fresh veggies instead of chips and dip. 199, here I come.

No report from the stumpy primitive since then, nine days ago.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: stumpy primitive starting to lose weight
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »
5'6" and a GOAL of 180?  He'd still be shaped like a friggin bowling ball.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »
5'6" and a GOAL of 180?  He'd still be shaped like a friggin bowling ball.

Then "stump" is clearly the appropriate DUmp moniker for him.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »
I think the coach is scanning the DUmp for revolting references to "veggies" and observations about how "yummy" they are.

I think becoming "stumpy" is an ambitious goal for the DUmmy. "Zeppelin" would be more appropriate right now.

DUmmies are like every tub of lard in the checkout line. They want to find a magic bullet for losing weight. More carbs. Less carbs. Good carbs. Bad carbs. More protein. Less protein. Special diets. Magical pills that ignite your body's "fat burning furnace". Every word of it hogwash. Weight loss is very simply more calories used than eaten, period. More exercise with no change or a reduction in the number of calories eaten. Or no additional exercise, but fewer calories eaten. For every 3500 calorie deficit, you lose one pound. Any other plan is quackery.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:01:58 PM »
5'6" AND 209?   I myself am 5'6" 120.  He must look like a tomato.  Gobucks, what you say is true about the calories in.  I've found the best results for my husband was a radical increase in activity.  Eat what you want, you know, reasonable portions, but work your ass off on something you love.  Pounds melted away.  None of this fretting about the fashion status of carbs this week.  Choking down Kashi. 

You know another word I hate besides veggies?  Hubby.  Which just reminded me of Greenbriar's date night last night and I got nauseated.  Tucked him into bed with a smile on his face, indeed.  Respect your own privacy, you loony moonbat. 

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
Karin has a skilled and sensible ear for the language.
"Hubby" does indeed bite, though not quite to the extent of "veggie", "yummy", "tummy", and the horrific sports term, "hammy".
Typing that last sentence caused me to shudder.