Author Topic: good morning Thursday  (Read 2486 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
good morning Thursday
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »
Good morning, all; it's circa 6:00 a.m. central time, 5:00 a.m. mountain time Thursday January 10.

There's snow falling in the Sandhills of Nebraska, sometimes heavy, sometimes light, and it's in theory supposed to go on for the next twenty-four hours, but the temperatures are expected to be reasonable.

The massive William Rivers Pitt again resembles the Alpine Jungfrau.

Topic of the day: if you garden, do you usually plant vegetables first, or flowers first?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

Re: good morning Thursday
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:08:40 AM »
Good morning, Frank. We are expecting snow here  in central OH at the weekend. As usual, your descriptions are amazing.  :-)

I will be finishing some assignments that are due today and beginning clean up here since I have not really tended to much except laundry over the last week while we were attending to the arrangements and all that follows with a funeral. My other half said he feels a bit weird going back to work after a week off. I think some of it is anticipation at a quiet ride in since it was his older brother whose memory we just honored that he would talk to just about every morning on his drive into work.  :(

TOTD: Technically, it is flowers since most bulbs get put into the ground in the fall for the next season, but during spring, it would be veggies since they usually get an early start inside the house and then are transplanted outside once the morning frosts have subsided. I have not done a veggie garden in a few years now, but hope to this spring.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 06:31:14 AM »
TOTD:Vegetables,starting in mid May with sweet corn,potatos and so on usually waiting until Memorial Day to put in tomatos and peppers.

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:19:50 AM »
morning!  have a sleeping kitty sprawled across my arm right now,so typing is a challenge!  Uneventful day planned here...

TOTD: i do veggies first, when I can garden

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:23:03 AM »
morning!  have a sleeping kitty sprawled across my arm right now,so typing is a challenge!  Uneventful day planned here...

TOTD: i do veggies first, when I can garden

Morning, flame. We aren't taking the car anywhere today. Most we'll do is take a walk in a little while. It's gray outside. The local talk radio is talking about that story of teenage girls asking for materity leave from school. Like I said, just a clean up day for me today.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:24:15 AM »
Veg first for me too.  Though I tend to think of the start of the gardening season as being autumn.  So far I have planted garlic, broad beans and garbanzo beans (chickpeas) but herbs have been growing over the winter too.  Looking forward to really getting going in the spring with the fun fruit and veg though.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:08:13 AM »
morning ..  :yawn:

the husband and college kiddo both made it back from their business trips just fine last night.. we stayed up late, catching up. man those two lead interesting lives..

the college kiddo got to hang out with Shawn White (famous snowboarder) and some other Olympic snowboarders I've never heard of in Colorado for a few days. the husband was hanging out with some famous techie people at CES..

my life is so dull .. although, I did make a mean Mr. Bill in play doh for my 8 year old ..  :-)

TODT: we have a blueberry bush in the backyard.. i'm not sure it made it thru the rains last year.. but if it makes it, i can then participate in the fruit and vegies tales here.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:12:36 AM »
We have a small vegetable garden of tomatoes and peppers. My daughters love watering the plants and picking the tomatoes.  :-)

As far as flowers, they're mostly just decorative. They go in first.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jendf

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:14:28 AM »
Good morning, Frank and everyone else. High expected to be 66 degrees today.

TOTD: I don't garden since I don't have my own yard. I'm not even really good with houseplants. My sister grows her own lettuce, tomatoes, and strawberries in her backyard.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »
Good morning every one  :-)

TOTD:  I don't know :p  I'm planning my veggie garden, as well as some fruit plants, and my mom usually decides when to plant flowers  :-*

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »
I don't garden. I would love to someday but I can't seem to find the time. I grew up around them so I don't know why I haven't.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »
Hello CC.

The weather here is drab. It is drizzling and overcast and it feels "raw" (that's what the term I use to describe it  :-)). It is in the upper 50's, but it feels cold and ick out there.

I took the baby to her 9 month doctor appointment this morning. She is 28 lbs., 11 oz, which is freaking HUGE. My son weighed 26 pounds at a year old, and he was in the 99th percentile for his weight. She is off the chart, of course. It's no wonder my back is hurting, but she is almost walking independently, yay! 

We will be heading out shortly for her Gymboree music class.

Other than that, it's the usual around here.....laundry, etc.

TOTD: I do flower beds and "landscaping", but I don't do a vegetable garden. I love the flowers and making the yard look great. That will start up around mid March, and I am looking forward to it. In the meantime, we've got a lot of pruning to do.

Since we have bought our house, we have had several shrubs die. We will be taking out an entire row on the front part of the house in the spring, and I want some sort of flowering shrubs, but not azaleas and not anymore rose bushes.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama