Author Topic: Back again!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
Back again!
« on: April 12, 2020, 12:47:05 AM »
Howdy peeps! FreeBorn here.  :cheersmate: well well well... Where to start, Hmmm... O.K. may as well announce that I have a new birthday now. My actual birthday is/was in July, the 13th. A little over a year ago on the night of Valentine's Day 2019, a bit past midnight so Feb. 16th technically, I was walking alongside the road which my street connects to. I don't know why, where I was going to or coming from. I have no memory of that but the direction I was going implies I was headed home. A month later I awoke from a coma in the ICU at the county medical center in Buffalo. I was hit by a drunk in an SUV at 35 mph from behind. He left me laying on the shoulder unconcious with a fractured skull and away he went, left the scene. Usually in that sort of situation, that's it, end of story because the driver gets away and is never caught. I laid there in the snow on the shoulder for half an hour near a busy intersection. Who found me or called it in I do not know. There is security video from the building across the street so that established a timeline. Two New York state troopers were sitting in their car there as the paramedics worked on me on the roadside. They noticed a guy there a bit up the road across the street just sitting there in his vehicle watching all this. They checked him out. He failed field sobriety tests, the "roadside olympics", so they took him to the state police barracks where his BAC registered 0.19, drunk. .08 is DWI here in New York so he was over twice the legal limit. He was charged with DWI, aggravated DWI for being over more than twice the legal limit, vehicular assault, and aggravated vehicular assault for causing life threatening injuries, and leaving the scene of an accident involving personal injuries. I remained in the hospital for five months until I was released July 3rd. So that is why I have a new birthday now, February 16th. My sister tells me that while I was still in the coma I had a particularly rough day, Feb. 25th. "Was touch and go" for most of that day with a high fever, sepsis infection, heart arrhythmia and a brain bleed. I feel extremely fortunate and lucky to still be alive. In hindsight I came throught it extremely well, considering. My nose was broken, my left cheekbone was mashed flat to my face and my skull was fractured. I also recieved heavy musculoskeletal damage; Heavy whiplash to my neck and shoulders, my left femur and ankle, my right hip, femur and ankle and my left shoulder. Initially I was told my left rotator cuff was blown but fortunately it was not. All the muscles, tendons and left scapula just hung limp, atrophied. Since July I have been in physical therapy twice a week. It has helped quite a bit but that stopped a month ago because of this creeping corona crud that is going around. I am set to resume that, just awaiting word from my primary physician. Actually looking forward to it. Also looking forward to getting back into blacksmithing since the entire contents of my shop went into a storage unit over a year ago. So anyway, that's all I've been up to. You guys?

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Back again!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 04:38:15 AM »
Quite a story, FreeBorn! Very glad you're still among the vertical and that the drunk was caught. Was he convicted of those charges?

As for me, I retired from my full time job as a Quality Manager in pharma in late 2018 and now work part time, primarily from home, as an EHS professional. Setting up systems, writing SOPs, arguing with dickheads who don't know WTF they're talking about.

Some things just don't change!

Again, glad you're still vertical and wish you the best in reestablishing your blacksmithing career.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 07:56:40 AM »
Holy cow!  Glad you’re still on this side of dirt. Thanks for the update and, welcome back.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen. Yes, Eupher, our hero was found guilty on all counts. His final court appearance was on January 30th. Prior to that his last court appearance, to have the charges read, was in November. After months of his attorneys postponing this and that as time went on, generally dragging their heels the judge was getting miffed with the recurring delays. At trial his attorneys attempted to plead for leniency, citing his need to care for his wife due to her health problems and the fact he had no prior arrests and so suggested probation. My attorneys pointed out that, while not divorced or legally separated, he has for some time been living elsewhere, in his girlfriend's home. His two teenage sons do not even speak with him. My family just prior to this drama had pointed out in their dispositions addressing the court how my injuries have been difficult on the entire family, my optic nerve damage/double vision with strabismus surgery in August to correct that, unsuccessfully, auditory nerve damage and constant tinnitus and that he hit a marine corps veteran. Also how difficult this all has been on our mother. Less than one month after we buried my father after 55 years of marriage there she was holding vigil over her only son in a coma in ICU. I had a neck brace, spinal brace/halo, hoses coming out my head and gut, wires plugged into my head, had been trached with a respirator hose pinned in place in my throat and had my wrists lashed to the bed because comatose people grasp at and try to remove all that as a reflex. So, with bonehead's lawyer attempting to grovel for leniency the judge finally had heard enough and cut him off. My sister tells me he basically exploded and unleashed a dressing down on his lawyers for dragging this out for a year, ripped my pal a new one and pronounced a year incarceration. He broke down crying as deputies handcuffed him and led him out the side door of the courtroom. Here in Buffalo the "perp walk" is a very public thing. Deputies lead cuffed and shackled prisoners out the front door of the court building, down the sidewalk to the intersection, over the crosswalk and down the block to the holding center. Initially he was facing up to seven years. Legal sparring between his lawyers and mine saw his potential sentence reduced to a possible year in jail in exchange for assuming 100% guilt with no fault of my own. I don't drink or use drugs so my toxicology was completely clean anyway but his lawyers could have drawn this out for some time. This was important to put me in good stead for the civil trial now that the criminal trial is wrapped up. Texacon I like your signature line and it reminds me of another like it. "Pay for a man's airfare and he flies free for a day. Push a man out of a plane and he flies free for the rest of his life."

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 12:14:36 PM »
Welcome back!  :cheersmate:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 05:43:12 PM »
Thank you, Ptarmigan. The first quote, that of Napoleon I have read. The second I was unfamiliar with but good points both, good points. Happy Easter Ptarmigan and, in the immortal words of Elmer Fudd, "Kill Da Wabbit!"

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 09:22:26 PM »
Thank you, Ptarmigan. The first quote, that of Napoleon I have read. The second I was unfamiliar with but good points both, good points. Happy Easter Ptarmigan and, in the immortal words of Elmer Fudd, "Kill Da Wabbit!"

Happy Easter to you!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du