Current Events > General Discussion

NFL Coach Jon "Chucky" Gruden resigns over decades old homophobic/racist slurs

(1/1)

Ralph Wiggum:
Jon Gruden resigns as Las Vegas Raiders head coach after report of anti-gay, misogynistic language used in emails

LAS VEGAS -- Jon Gruden has resigned as head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders following reports that emails he wrote over a 10-year period included racist, misogynistic and anti-gay language.

"I love the Raiders and do not want to be a distraction," Gruden said in a statement Monday night. "Thank you to all the players, coaches, staff, and fans of Raider Nation. I'm sorry, I never meant to hurt anyone."

Raiders owner Mark Davis released a short statement saying he has accepted Gruden's resignation. Assistant coach Rich Bisaccia will serve as interim head coach effective immediately, the team announced. Bisaccia will meet with the media during availability on Wednesday.

The resignation came shortly after The New York Times reported that Gruden used misogynistic and anti-gay language in numerous emails during a seven-year period. That report came days after 10-year-old emails from Gruden surfaced that included a racist comment about NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith as well as a vulgar criticism of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

According to The Times, Gruden sent emails to Bruce Allen, then the president of the Washington Football Team, and others during a seven-year period that ended in 2018.

Gruden emailed Allen that Goodell should not have pressured then-St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher to draft "queers," referring to former defensive end Michael Sam, a gay player drafted in 2014, according to The Times. The Times also reported that Gruden used an anti-gay slur in several instances while referring to Goodell and used offensive language to describe some owners, coaches and media members who cover the league.

Gruden's emails also included harsh language for a handful of team owners involved in the 2011 labor disagreement that led to a lockout at the time.

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that Gruden, in an email to Allen, said Smith had "lips the size of michellin tires," with the newspaper saying it had reviewed the email in question.

Gruden told ESPN that he routinely used the term "rubber lips" to "refer to a guy I catch as lying ... he can't spit it out."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32384058/jon-gruden-resigns-las-vegas-raiders-head-coach

OK, a few things to digest here.

Words not actions seem to carry more weight in society these days.  Players and coaches can have a handful of DUI's or domestic assault cases leveled against them and can walk away scot free.  Not a fan of Gruden, although I'll admit he was at least entertaining as a broadcaster on Monday Night Football.

Now a meme I caught on Facebook regarding Gruden:

Drafe Hoblin:
I wouldn't have resigned. 

It's a case of guys talking to other guys about guys... in the way guys talk.  Maybe qualify it by saying 'insider-guys'.  Compare it to all the flammable events Gruden didn't email about.

enslaved1:
In a true MiniTrue moment, EA is removing him from the already released Madden 22 game, via update.

https://www.wkrg.com/sports/more-than-a-glitch-jon-gruden-dropped-by-madden-video-game/

Ralph Wiggum:

--- Quote from: enslaved1 on October 14, 2021, 08:03:22 AM ---In a true MiniTrue moment, EA is removing him from the already released Madden 22 game, via update.

https://www.wkrg.com/sports/more-than-a-glitch-jon-gruden-dropped-by-madden-video-game/

--- End quote ---

Heard that last night, and crap like that figures.  Something similar happened early on (IIRC) about removing O.J. Simpson from the historical football teams in one of their game modes.

Considering I haven't played Madden in decades, really don't care but hardcore gamers these days apparently are obsessed with video games.  Did waste a LOT of time and either enhanced or affected my college grades by playing the first couple of editions of it in the early '90's on Sega.

Ptarmigan:
NFL’s Hypocrisy Is Showing – Gruden Pays While Others Still Play
https://www.themix.net/2021/10/jon-gruden-nfl-controversy/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version