Author Topic: 1983 Datsun 280ZX  (Read 145573 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1983 Datsun 280ZX
« Reply #450 on: November 11, 2010, 08:24:24 AM »
Injector #1 is definitely not working.  That is also (roughly) where the exhaust manifold leak is.  Injector #6 works, barely, when the engine is started cold.  Was not working last night when the engine was started hot.  As soon as I have some free time, I'm going to do a continuity check on both injectors and their connections.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #451 on: November 11, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
Get those injectors fixed and then let's continue the troubleshooting from there. I wouldn't rule out the "control unit".
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
Uh...forgive my asking a pretty damned silly question, but if an engine is fuel-injected and if one or more injectors aren't working, doesn't that mean that those cylinders aren't firing? You're running a six-banger normally, two injectors are dead, so it's really a 4-banger???

:confused:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »
Pretty much. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »
Uh...forgive my asking a pretty damned silly question, but if an engine is fuel-injected and if one or more injectors aren't working, doesn't that mean that those cylinders aren't firing? You're running a six-banger normally, two injectors are dead, so it's really a 4-banger???

:confused:

and, with 1 & 6 not firing, one might not notice it, depending on the firing order.... until they go to give it gas, etc.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #455 on: November 11, 2010, 06:13:13 PM »
Good news.  All the injectors are getting a 12-volt signal along the wiring harness, including #1 and #6.  Got it running smoothly in the parking lot and unplugged #6 and it stumbled, same as the others.  I think there may be an intermittent or weak spark on that cylinder because I got a lower reading when I tested that wire yesterday.  I'm not sure what kind of condition my spark plug wires are in since I mixed-and-matched them from the other car last month, but I should probably buy a new set just to be safe.

#1 is definitely dead.  Should be easy enough to pull the injector and see if it's working or not. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:32:15 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
Hooray, I adjusted my headlights.  Jeez, no wonder I couldn't see.  On of them was pointing off into the sky.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
Very cool. Maybe you're onto something Chris.
Good luck. :cheersmate:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2010, 08:27:52 PM »
Picked up a bitchin' new screwdriver.  It's like three feet long and fits the injector screws perfectly.  I can't wait to try it out.  Or poke somebody with it. 

It's the small things in life that we sometimes enjoy the most. :-)

(ETA:  I had a hell of a time trying to remove the injectors from the last car I grabbed parts from.  Might as well buy the right tools and make the job easier.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:38:09 PM by chris_ »

Offline true_blood

« Reply #459 on: November 11, 2010, 08:36:11 PM »
 :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #460 on: November 12, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
Chris,

I have around half a dozen sets of injectors floating around that I will never use.  If you want a set, shoot me a PM.  They all came off of running cars, so they should work just fine.  If the injectors are not your problem, at least you can narrow that out of the equation.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:55:39 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #461 on: November 13, 2010, 07:09:35 AM »
Thanks.  I may take you up on that.  I'll PM you my mailing address if I need them.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #462 on: November 13, 2010, 10:14:48 AM »
No problem, Chris. 

I doubt it is your brain that is messing up.  They are actually pretty sturdy.  I've only ever had one go wonky on me, and I managed to re-solder the area that was bad. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #463 on: November 13, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »
I swapped out the questionable spark plug wires with a new set and it seems to be running smoother.  Haven't had it stall on me yet, but I haven't really checked.  I tried the screwdriver-stethoscope trick but I couldn't tell if it was the injectors clicking or the valves.

I checked my car this morning before heading out and my water temperature sensor is leaking coolant, on top of the radiator dribbling on itself.  My power-steering system is loosing fluid somewhere as well.

Edit: still hard to start.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:31:23 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #464 on: November 14, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
I'll probably be an old man by the time I decide on a color. :thatsright:

Other than the advertisement, I can't find any other car online in that color.  I guess it wasn't a big seller.  I looked at some other colors and shades... yellow looks like a woman's car.  Cherry, candy, or apple red look okay and would match the original color relatively closely, but it's been overdone.  I like the original metallic grey of my other car, but I don't want two with the same paint job.  The factory Gold is not bad, but it's a little too dark.  I like this particular shade of brown, but I would have to break up the monotonous single color with some stripes on the hood and maybe a decal or badge on the side.

Here is the original 'gold' from the factory:

Spoke too soon --> http://jdm-car-parts.com/special-tip/zzzap-registry-begins-track-down-existing-zzzap-cars/

No, I don't think I care for that shade of yellow either.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:40:16 PM by chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #465 on: November 14, 2010, 11:42:28 PM »
FWIW, I always thought this ZX body styled lent itself very well to tasteful pinstripping.  You could use that as your breakup for the upper body line, and the hood, and then get one of those ZX style vinyl applications that goes just above the lower body line. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #466 on: November 14, 2010, 11:49:43 PM »
I have the vinyl rub strips on my other car... they don't look good with the grey, but they might with this color.  At least they keep me from getting a lot of door dings.

Not a huge fan of pin-striping. 

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #467 on: November 14, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »
I'm with you there.  I only have pinstripping on one other car, and I leave it on there because I am too lazy to pull it off.  The ZX, along with a lot of other cars from that era, really seems to wear them well, though. 

Have you thought about those screw-on aluminum panels that you can get for the side?  Those would break up your lines, too.  You might want to do some serious rust proofing, first, though. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #468 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:18 PM »
Not sure what you mean.  Do you have a link?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #469 on: November 17, 2010, 05:30:09 PM »
Huzzah!  I think I have a bad fuel pressure regulator. 

If the cold start system is not running, the car tends to idle low, stumble, and hesitate.  I finally got it home, sputtering and twitching the whole way.  Opened the hood and yanked the vacuum line off the FPR and the idle immediately jumps to 900 rpm and stays there. 

I don't really want to drive it with the FPR disconnected but it barely runs with it the way it is.

CRAP! The regulator on the older car has a different shaped bracket and they're not interchangeable. :mad:

Found a Beck-Arnley regulator for $45 plus shipping.  It has the correct bracket.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:23:52 PM by chris_ »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #470 on: November 18, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »
Huzzah!  I think I have a bad fuel pressure regulator. 

If the cold start system is not running, the car tends to idle low, stumble, and hesitate.  I finally got it home, sputtering and twitching the whole way.  Opened the hood and yanked the vacuum line off the FPR and the idle immediately jumps to 900 rpm and stays there. 

I don't really want to drive it with the FPR disconnected but it barely runs with it the way it is.

CRAP! The regulator on the older car has a different shaped bracket and they're not interchangeable. :mad:

Found a Beck-Arnley regulator for $45 plus shipping.  It has the correct bracket.

good job! I'm sure that's a relief in getting that problem solved.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #471 on: November 18, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Injector #1 is still not working, which may be contributing to my hard-to-start problem.  I'm going to try replacing them both at the same time but I have to mail order the new FPR unless I want to pay a 50% retail mark-up.

I may swap the digital gauge for the analog one this weekend.  I need to take a closer look at the leaking power steering, though.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #472 on: November 18, 2010, 07:13:17 PM »
Injector #1 is still not working, which may be contributing to my hard-to-start problem.  I'm going to try replacing them both at the same time but I have to mail order the new FPR unless I want to pay a 50% retail mark-up.

I may swap the digital gauge for the analog one this weekend.  I need to take a closer look at the leaking power steering, though.

IF the power steering isn't leaking TOO badly, I've used Transmission Stop Leak with some success. There might be a stop leak for power steering, too. Also, have you tried CLEANING the injector?? There are kits for that.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #473 on: November 18, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
I'm hesitant to use those stop-leak products.  I just don't trust them.   

Another problem is I don't think the '83 automatic uses the same power steering system as the '82 5-speed.  It would be a lot of work to swap them over.

I think swapping a good injector from the other car would take less time than using a cleaning kit.  I can always try that later.  It seems to work intermittently, so a dirty injector may be the cause.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:18:20 PM by chris_ »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #474 on: November 18, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
I'm hesitant to use those stop-leak products.  I just don't trust them.  

Another problem is I don't think the '83 automatic uses the same power steering system as the '82 5-speed.  It would be a lot of work to swap them over.

I've had good luck with them, again, depending on how major the leak is. I had a steering leak in my 81 Cutlass Wagon convert (350  instead of some V6 POS), dumped some tranny stop leak in it and it was golden until I got rid of it three years later. I hated getting rid of it, but I was living in one of the counties that had a smog check up in MN. Since it was a 71 model 350 Rocket engine, it didn't have any smog equipment, which they actually DID look for, it would have never passed the physical inspection.  It's a quick fix" that may last a while or may not. Either way, it won't hurt anything.