Author Topic: 1983 Datsun 280ZX  (Read 144442 times)

Offline Peter3_1

Re: 1983 Datsun 280ZX
« Reply #200 on: May 03, 2009, 04:06:48 PM »
Chris, ever hear of pb blaster for getting frozen bolts loose? It works very well for me, but if you use it, don't forget that it is NOT a protective coating. Once you've dissassembled, you must oil/wd 40 the metal to protect it.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
I've heard of it, but I don't think I've come across it on the shelf.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2009, 08:56:44 PM »
The junkyard I was dealing with gave me a bogus quote on a transmission.  I thought I called them and got a quote for $250 for a 5-speed, but I was in there yesterday and they tell me it's $500.  For that price, I can fix it my damn self and buy a spare car to drive.

There are two really nice cars nearby that I can use for parts... at least one of them is a 5-speed, and the owners claim the wheels are in good shape.  One of them looks like it has new tires.  My rims are out of round and need to be repaired.  One of them is a 2-seater which has the smoother roofline, but it's that icky red color. :-)

I would still rather have the '78 Mercedes 280 coupe, but I haven't heard back from the guy -- he may have sold it.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
My son sold his 380 sl with the dual chain cam heads. It was VERY VERY rapid, but the newer motor made it difficult to sell.

PB Blaster comes in a white base spray can, and the better paers stores carry it along side Rust Buster, Liquid Wrench, etal. PB works best by spray-tap-let sit 10-15 mon, spray tap , let sit, spray tap try and remove. It has a CHEMICAL reraction between oxidation and the good metal and breaks the bond.

BTW, years ago I tested Marvel Magic Mystery Oil in an experiment of my own design, and found that it indeed has a positive, measurable effect. One that is worth, in my opinion, the price of the product.   

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »
Those cam towers were held on by a bolt on one end and a dowel on the other.  I squirted some engine cleaner down the dowel hole in the top of the tower and let it sit for a bit.  A couple small whacks with the hammer, and they came loose.  I did remember to keep everything in order and oriented correctly.

I'm busy looking for another transmission or something I can drive that's worth doing a little work on and re-selling while I work on this car.  I would like to have the 2-door Mercedes to keep... it sure is nice looking.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
I found another '78 for sale for a few dollars more, but its powder blue.  I guess I could deal with driving a car that falls in the 'pastel' category on the color wheel.

The seller sounds like a wordy buffoon that is trying way too hard to make it sound like a "professional" car ad.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:59:21 PM by Chris »

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:45 PM »
That era ME BE's are noce carws. Great on trips. The only thing is the v-8 enines get less mileage than you'd expect. Also, the soft bushings used in the valve guides and the distributor has been hardened by then. The early 70's cars got bwetter mileage, but the bushings were shot before 100 m miles.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
:yahoo: :hyper:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »
Yup......................thats a transmission................

:tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »
That's not ANY transmission.  It was possibily the cheapest I could have bought one for, short of pulling it out myself.  I paid $175, nearly $100 less than the useless quote I was given, and a hell of a lot cheaper than $500 from the guy that had one sitting in the front seat of an '83 junker.

There's no way I could have gotten one from the Pull-A-Part place on my own.  The rims get pulled and the car is stacked on top of them.  Plenty of room to get underneath them, but that means you get to play catch with a 80+ pound transmission hanging a foot over your head.

I also got my piece of sheet metal to fix the firewall.  I got more than enough steel to patch up that hole.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »
That weekend project has extended some......as they alwways do. But it prolly beats my Jaguar project that ended up lasting several years.....fix drive....bang....fix AGAIN...DRIVE...BANG......for years.....

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
Finally got the heater barb off the cylinder head.  I picked up a two foot section of 1-inch steel pipe from the hardware store and that barb came out like butter.  I'm glad I bought it, because the guy at the tire shop used a damn impact wrench on the wheels and I almost hurt myself trying to get them off with a regular ratchet and socket.  Dropped the worse of the two wheels off for repair; $100 per wheel.  My car still shakes once you get above 60 but not as bad.  At least my new spare is nice and smooth.

I went to a couple of heavily advertised collision repair shops and both of them refused to take my car.  The first one told me he was afraid to ask his employees to work on it; he was scared they'd quit on him.

One down, eleven to go.  That rubber thing on top of the spring is the valve stem seal.  Valve guides look good... no damage at all.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:17:44 AM by Chris »

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #212 on: May 14, 2009, 01:59:30 AM »

I went to a couple of heavily advertised collision repair shops and both of them refused to take my car.  The first one told me he was afraid to ask his employees to work on it; he was scared they'd quit on him.

**** him.

I am sure I have just as many years, if not more years of experience as him or any of his employees and I was always happy to try and help someone out, even if the car was not new.

**** him again.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2009, 02:16:05 AM »
"Collision repair" shops are a dime a dozen around here.  I guess finding someone that will actually do something that can't be fixed by a frame-straightener or swapping out some body panels might take a little longer than I thought.  All I wanted was an estimate.  $1000?  $3000?  I can get estimates on replacing a transmission all day long.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
"Collision repair" shops are a dime a dozen around here.  I guess finding someone that will actually do something that can't be fixed by a frame-straightener or swapping out some body panels might take a little longer than I thought.  All I wanted was an estimate.  $1000?  $3000?  I can get estimates on replacing a transmission all day long.

Most places today want insurance work...guaranteed payment.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »

It's hard to find true craftsmen.

Look for an independent shop that does restorations. They are out there, just harder to find.

The industry has simply filled up with insurance whores and techs who became owners or managers that have zero business skills.

Someone will do if for a couple hundred bucks cash. I know I would.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »
It's hard to find true craftsmen.

Look for an independent shop that does restorations. They are out there, just harder to find.

The industry has simply filled up with insurance whores and techs who became owners or managers that have zero business skills.

Someone will do if for a couple hundred bucks cash. I know I would.

I have a 72' Camero RS (split bumper) that needs some body work, and a decent paint job. While it was running (I'm probably going to get it going again) I took it to a couple of shops. Nearly all of them, quite litterally, told me couldn't be bothered with "non insurance" work. What they don't get is, I will ALWAYS remember who they are and NEVER give them my business.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
I have a 72' Camero RS (split bumper) that needs some body work, and a decent paint job. While it was running (I'm probably going to get it going again) I took it to a couple of shops. Nearly all of them, quite litterally, told me couldn't be bothered with "non insurance" work. What they don't get is, I will ALWAYS remember who they are and NEVER give them my business.

Sounds like a nice car.

When I ran shops, it was always nice to have a older project car in the shop, that way there was always something to work on when things got slow.

It kept the bills paid.

Alot of times the shop don't take people serious as they get sooooooo many people showing up with older cars for "estimates" that do not have the means to have it repaired in the first place....

It just all makes me want to lease a small shop again.....I might do that in the next couple of years.

I have seen the type of body work & paint that is done in this town, it looks like shit.  But of course, I am very picky.

Right now, I like the fact that I have health insurance that does not cost me "self employment" rates

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »
The second place I stopped at told me my car was "too old" to work on.  I think I saw a shop down the street from there that had a '72 Vega in the parking lot.  I'll need to go back there and find out if they were doing any body work on it.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2009, 01:41:44 PM »
Know any auto ins. guys? Ask where they steer their collision work, then ask is you cn say that you were sent by them. I know when I'd send someone to a shop they'd do the work.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »
The second place I stopped at told me my car was "too old" to work on.  I think I saw a shop down the street from there that had a '72 Vega in the parking lot.  I'll need to go back there and find out if they were doing any body work on it.

A 72 Vega in the parking lot? Wow - I thought all those had been melted down by now to make soda cans.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2009, 11:14:02 PM »
A 72 Vega in the parking lot? Wow - I thought all those had been melted down by now to make soda cans.

I like the look on the '72... much better looking than the Pontiac Aspire or whatever Buick was marketing at the time.  I found some forums dedicated to the Vega and those people put a *lot* of work into their cars despite them being more rust-prone than almost anything on the road at the time.  If my car was in that bad shape, I would invest in a MIG welder and learn to do my own work.  As it is, I only need the one hole patched.

I did Google 'auto restoration' shops in my area and came up with a load of different results from the usual collision shops.  I'll have to make some phone calls over the next week and find someone willing to do the work I need.

Also, I found an M-B diesel than needs a new crank bearing and oil line... it's selling cheap.  I might take another look at it if it hasn't been sold.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:02:23 AM by Chris »

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »
here's the Cosworth Vega. twin cam 16 cyl. the only one worth owning.
http://www.gmphotostore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=53217599

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »

neat link, it's fun to surf!

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »

Looks a little like the Chevy Monza I bought new. With a V8 engine it would haul @ss. Too bad I totaled it after a year and a half.