Author Topic: 1983 Datsun 280ZX  (Read 144394 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: 1983 Datsun 280ZX
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2009, 12:55:56 PM »
I don't need a quart bucket.  POR-15 sells a small starter kit for around $20 that comes with degreaser and a surface preparation.  I picked up some wet/dry sandpaper and can of Rustoleum primer to fix up the two or three small rust spots on the body.  I hope it's dry outside tomorrow; today's weather stinks.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »
I don't need a quart bucket.  POR-15 sells a small starter kit for around $20 that comes with degreaser and a surface preparation.  I picked up some wet/dry sandpaper and can of Rustoleum primer to fix up the two or three small rust spots on the body.  I hope it's dry outside tomorrow; today's weather stinks.

There are other sizes. You will need about a pint.

Some of that stuff, once you put the lid back on, it will never come back off...I used to put two screws in the lid, one for the vent and one to pour out of (the holes)  hard to exlplain...

Whatever you get I am sure will work fine...don't put too much work into it, as the gubment is gonna give you a five thousand dollar voucher to trade it in on something newer.  :-)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2009, 11:39:44 PM »
I ordered the starter kit from POR-15.  UPS ground, should be here some time in June.  $26 with shipping.

I'm thinking of buying a transmission tomorrow or next week. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
UPS ground, should be here some time in June.  $26 with shipping.

:rotf: :rotf:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
I got the lower half of the dashboard and glovebox removed.  I should be able to patch this from inside the car and cover it with new carpet.  The current battery tray is a hollow metal triangle; one side sits up on the wheel well and the other side follows the curve of the wheel well and is anchored to the frame rail.  I'll have to cut out the factory battery tray and fabricate something out of angle iron. 

(from a 4x4 forum)

given the current state of the carpet inside the car, I think I'm probably going to start removing the interior and rustproofing everything, followed by some new carpet.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2009, 01:50:40 AM »
Infected area minus factory battery tray... you can see where the wheel well/fender curves down to meet the firewall.  Haven't had any luck finding a new replacement; I'm going to have to hunt down a car that has one intact or pay someone to make it.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/680953/680953

Been searching all night for a single picture. :yawn:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:53:22 AM by Chris »

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
 :o

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »
Looks like the freeking battery exploded and no one cleaned up!  That's gotta affect the tortional rigidity! Yes, time to visit your favorite panel beater or have somethong torched out of a wrecking YARD car. ALWAYS take MORE than you think, at worst,  you'll need, because if you take only what you think you'll need, it won't be enough, then you'll need to find another wrecking yard queen....

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »
Infected area minus factory battery tray... you can see where the wheel well/fender curves down to meet the firewall.  Haven't had any luck finding a new replacement; I'm going to have to hunt down a car that has one intact or pay someone to make it.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/680953/680953

Been searching all night for a single picture. :yawn:

Masking tape on one side...fill it with tiger hair body filler on the other side.....

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »
Mine is nowhere near that bad.  I haven't removed the battery tray yet because I don't have a replacement, but the area where the firewall and wheel well meet are gone.  You could fit your hand through the hole.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »
I'll be glad to get it patched.  Once that's done, I can start restoring the interior and the dashboard (modern plastic cap that will not split in the sun).  I'm not too concerned with the outside right now, but I will eventualy have to take the body panels off to remove some of the rust under the fenders.  It would be awesome to have a fully-restored interior on this car.  The seats/upholstery will be an interesting job.  I saw a guy restore the interior on a 1963 Ford Galaxie with the old metal spring bench seats.  It looked good.

http://kimscar.blogspot.com/

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »
Mine is nowhere near that bad.  I haven't removed the battery tray yet because I don't have a replacement, but the area where the firewall and wheel well meet are gone.  You could fit your hand through the hole.

your other pics are throwing me off, LOL

at first I thought, wow, that new battery tray is overkill and then I learn it was someone else's on a 4x4 truck, LOL

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2009, 11:53:13 PM »
lawl.  The battery tray picture ain't mine, and the blue car with the evil rust cancer isn't mine.  My car is gray.

I wonder if I could take a block of styrofoam and shave or cut a mold around the firewall/wheel well area to have a patch made if I can't find one.  That's the only thing I can think of that I would be capable of doing.  It would make a huge mess but I don't care.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:54:58 PM by Chris »

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2009, 01:26:07 AM »
lawl.  The battery tray picture ain't mine, and the blue car with the evil rust cancer isn't mine.  My car is gray.

I wonder if I could take a block of styrofoam and shave or cut a mold around the firewall/wheel well area to have a patch made if I can't find one.  That's the only thing I can think of that I would be capable of doing.  It would make a huge mess but I don't care.

have you searched online for "patch panels" for it?

Maybe you could buy a new, rust free aftermarket part and trim it down to what you need?

Sherman or Wheelers are names that I remember.....  some site like this might have one.. http://www.rustrepair.com/index.htm

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2009, 01:47:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »
have you searched online for "patch panels" for it?

Maybe you could buy a new, rust free aftermarket part and trim it down to what you need?

Sherman or Wheelers are names that I remember.....  some site like this might have one.. http://www.rustrepair.com/index.htm

Done and done.  I found that site the other day -- they only sell domestic stuff, no foreign cars.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
Done and done.  I found that site the other day -- they only sell domestic stuff, no foreign cars.

I found Datsun stuff, but mostly rocker panels and quarter panel patch panels....

I'm sure someone makes/sells them, it's trying to figure out who.  :banghead:

Just buy a small piece of sheet metal and bend it yourself, start at one end, fasten it with sheet metal screws and get out the hammer....

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:47 PM »
I need a cordless reciprocating saw.  The "donor" car is in very good shape, but I wasn't able to cut out the sheet metal with a pair of hand snips. :p

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »
I need a cordless reciprocating saw.  The "donor" car is in very good shape, but I wasn't able to cut out the sheet metal with a pair of hand snips. :p

Don't use tinsnips, they distort the edges of the metal too much. If you can find/rent a "nibbler" you'll be better off. Once you have the panel, use a device that puts a "L" on the edge of the piece you want to patch in. It makes it MUCH eaiser to weld/bondo. (smooth seam)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »
As noted before Vice-Grip makes pliers that will put a flange on for you, don't forget that "exrtra"  steel will be the place the overlap covers......good luck.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »
I got most of the tools I need to replace the valve seals on my car.  My car is running like crap because the plugs are oil-fouled again.  I'll need to get new ones after I get the seals done.  It looks very time-consuming.  I was told it's a $1000 repair job but if I to do one at a time, I might have it done in a few weeks.  It's cost me $100 in parts so far. :(

I found some replacement sheet metal for that big hole in my car... $150.  No estimate on having the new piece welded into place yet.  The junkyard is next door to a Ford dealer's body shop, but they were closed.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
Well, when I was racing, I found that the "G" series plugs, that is gold tip, worked very well, and did not foul. The plain plugs, I'd change twice a weekend, and the Gold, every other weekend. pLUS, A set I saved for a decade , when I put them in an old MGB that oiled the plugs up badly, ran fine on the old reced "G" Champions for over a year.

Does the body shop have a panel beater and an English wheel?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »
Dunno, the body shop was closed.  I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »
I got most of the tools I need to replace the valve seals on my car.  My car is running like crap because the plugs are oil-fouled again.  I'll need to get new ones after I get the seals done.  It looks very time-consuming.  I was told it's a $1000 repair job but if I to do one at a time, I might have it done in a few weeks.  It's cost me $100 in parts so far. :(

I found some replacement sheet metal for that big hole in my car... $150.  No estimate on having the new piece welded into place yet.  The junkyard is next door to a Ford dealer's body shop, but they were closed.

I hate to say it, but this is stop-gap at best. I'm going to guess the guides/valve stems are shot, but the seals will help...for awhile. Look for any bad scuffing/wear on the valve stems when you replace the seals.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »

I hate to say it, but this is stop-gap at best. I'm going to guess the guides/valve stems are shot, but the seals will help...for awhile. Look for any bad scuffing/wear on the valve stems when you replace the seals.

I could take the entire head off and rebuild it, but valve seals are a common problem when these cars age (according to the internetz).  I picked up some higher-quality Ford ones made from Vitton.  The valve guides can be replaced with the head in the car.  I'm not sure what the valves themselves look like.