Author Topic: BITS  (Read 5497 times)

Offline ConservativeMobster

BITS
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
Is it possible to upgrade a 32 bit to a 64? I bought the wrong Hard Drive!  :banghead:
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: BITS
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »
Hope you kept your reciept.

To answer your question, yes.  You would have to replace the motherboard and processor with 64-bit hardware, and the memory if it's not compatible with the new parts.  And probably reinstall the operating system as well.

What did you buy?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
Oh shit, not what I wanted to hear. don't have the specs with me but it's a Seagate  :)
64bit
1T
SATA 6GB
7200 RPM
off the top of my head

So I can return or exchange it? I bought it from Newegg and had someone install it for me. I can't believe I screwed this up because it's a PITA to replace.
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »
If it's only the hard drive, your operating system/hardware shouldn't matter.

I assumed when you said "hard drive" you were referring to the entire computer (I'm used to dealing with people that can barely operate a can opener). 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »
If it's only the hard drive, your operating system/hardware shouldn't matter.

I assumed when you said "hard drive" you were referring to the entire computer (I'm used to dealing with people that can barely operate a can opener). 

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I put a 64bit HD into a 32bit OS and the computer is trash. I don't think this guy that replaced it for me can operate a can opener  :panic:

and neither can I.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
There's no such thing as a 64-bit hard drive.  What's your computer doing?

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
Hi ConservativeMobster i'm Tots significant other. She said you were having problems with a comp and wanted me to pop in and have a look  :-) I am assuming from your post with the specs that you are upgrading your hard drive? The "32, 64 bit" isn't going to be effected by the hard drive. The bit architecture is referring to your CPU, motherboard etc hardware. The hard drive might have a copy of a 32 or 64 bit operating system installed on it. If your old hard drive is still good then all you need to do is get a 64 bit Operating system (assuming your hardware will run 64 bit). Back up all your old information from the old drive, cause it will be gone with the new install. Then install the new OS and there ya go (slightly simplified but). If you are not sure if your computer is 64 bit comparable post up the make and model and any other info you can scrounge up on it like what the stickers on the front say etc. Will be glad to help if I can. I see Chris_ has a few answers here so between the two of us we probably get you going in the right direction.  :-)
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »
I'm physically looking at a Seagate drive model # st3120026as and I don't see anything that might lead one to believe that it might be 64 or 32 bit.

Beyond that it doesn't even matter, I have 4 of these same drives, one on a 64 bit system and 2 on a 32 bit system. You've got something else going on.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:28:02 PM by EagleKeeper »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »
Oh, this is a laugh riot, the label on the drive has the model # st3120026as but the fedora operating system is getting model # st31000333as off the drive which explains about 900GB in additional formatted capacity.

:hammer:
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
ummm, keep it simple fellas  :rofl:

I don't know how in the hell to tell you about this problem.
My pc specs are on here somewhere, I asked a question about this same pc awhile back and posted all that stuff here if I can find it. Anyway, it wouldn't boot and gave me the msg that "no bootable device found". A guy (this was my first warning!) ran some diagnostics and said my hard drive was fried so I bought the Seagate and he installed it. It worked great for all of 3 hours with the exception of not finding my speakers. Now it won't load explorer, won't shut down. I have a list of things that happened after the first few hours, put a memory card in the reader and it locked up, wouldn't come out of sleep mode, can't load mozilla. And, he put Windows 7 as the OS, said the Vista was gone???

Hi, biersmythe  :cheersmate:

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »
ummm, keep it simple fellas  :rofl:

I don't know how in the hell to tell you about this problem.
My pc specs are on here somewhere, I asked a question about this same pc awhile back and posted all that stuff here if I can find it. Anyway, it wouldn't boot and gave me the msg that "no bootable device found". A guy (this was my first warning!) ran some diagnostics and said my hard drive was fried so I bought the Seagate and he installed it. It worked great for all of 3 hours with the exception of not finding my speakers. Now it won't load explorer, won't shut down. I have a list of things that happened after the first few hours, put a memory card in the reader and it locked up, wouldn't come out of sleep mode, can't load mozilla. And, he put Windows 7 as the OS, said the Vista was gone???

Hi, biersmythe  :cheersmate:

Is the operating system up now? Or can you bring it up with a reboot or something?

*IF* you can get it to boot there are a couple quick things you can do. For system info you can....

Open the System control panel by first selecting "Control Panel" from the right side of the Windows Start Menu, then double-clicking the "System" option. You may also right-click the Computer icon if it is available on the desktop and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu to open the System properties window. Finally, if the Computer window is open, you can click on "System properties" near the top of the window to open the System control panel.

This view will give you basic system info like hardware architecture, memory and operating system type.

Also, in that same window there is a link to the device manager, if you click into there it should give you some indication of hardware that the operating system is having problems with.

The next thing to try is event viewer...

Event Viewer is an advanced tool that displays detailed information about significant events on your computer. It can be helpful when troubleshooting problems and errors with Windows and other programs.

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button and then In the Search box, type Event Viewer, and then, in the list of results, double-click Event Viewer.,

Another way to open Event Viewer is by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌

Note:  Administrator permission is required, If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

I think you would be most interested in the system events. I imagine you would also be most interested in system "errors" first and then system "warnings" second.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:06:58 PM by EagleKeeper »
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:57:15 PM »
Excellent advice EK and that's what the guy just did. He came over to troubleshoot and I watched him do the things you recommended. He did some other stuff I can't even describe...he downloaded some drivers and updated some stuff but 30 minutes out the door it's dead again! I went to msconfig and it has several MS things stopped. That's not good right? I didn't do it.  :rant:

I will call him back tomorrow but in the meantime, would this happen if he put a bootleg copy of Windows on the machine? I give up for the night but will check here in the AM.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the help.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
would this happen if he put a bootleg copy of Windows on the machine?

Yes it would, don't do this...I'm serious about this *DO NOT DO IT*

You really need to slow down on this. I hope that the guy you have working on your PC did not advise you to do this, if he/she did then you need to find someone else before you waste money.

Don't do this, you have 2 properly owned operating systems.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 04:12:13 AM »
I can't sleep. I'm not sure but have a gut feeling that this guy put a pirated OS on my pc. I don't have a disk and didn't buy one. I thought that the Vista installed would prompt when rebooted with the new drive but he said that it was inoperable so he "upgraded" to windows 7 and had the liscense. I didn't get a disk when I bought this computer so it sorta made sense.

My husband bought this HP in 2009, it was his and I didn't know jack about how he configured or maintained it. I started using it last year and ended up doing a recovery to make it simpler for my limited use. I lost eveything but his photos. I don't want to start over with a new computer, can't afford it and this one is sentimental.

2 months ago it started having errors and I had it checked remotely, several of the MS systems had been stopped and I was told that my IP had been hacked. I had it fixed. Completely different situation than this last one and expensive (for me) to fix. I can't keep doing this, it is almost impractical for me to have this machine repaired but I don't want to lose it.

If that is what he did, how do I make it right? Buy an OS and install it? 

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
I can't sleep. I'm not sure but have a gut feeling that this guy put a pirated OS on my pc. I don't have a disk and didn't buy one. I thought that the Vista installed would prompt when rebooted with the new drive but he said that it was inoperable so he "upgraded" to windows 7 and had the liscense. I didn't get a disk when I bought this computer so it sorta made sense.

My husband bought this HP in 2009, it was his and I didn't know jack about how he configured or maintained it. I started using it last year and ended up doing a recovery to make it simpler for my limited use. I lost eveything but his photos. I don't want to start over with a new computer, can't afford it and this one is sentimental.

2 months ago it started having errors and I had it checked remotely, several of the MS systems had been stopped and I was told that my IP had been hacked. I had it fixed. Completely different situation than this last one and expensive (for me) to fix. I can't keep doing this, it is almost impractical for me to have this machine repaired but I don't want to lose it.

If that is what he did, how do I make it right? Buy an OS and install it? 

1. Are you posting here using the PC in question?

2. The guy you had do the recent work, who is he? If it's a PC repair shop he owes you a windows 7 install cd and a corresponding cd key. If not you're probably hosed.

3. You said you did a recovery, how did you do that?

4. I don't understand, you say " I didn't get a disk when I bought this computer so it sorta made sense" and then you go on to say "My husband bought this HP in 2009" and that "I didn't know jack about how he configured or maintained it". That's very confusing to me.

5. Have you had time to work through my earlier long winded post yet?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
I was being somewhat cryptic intentionally, not to mislead but to avoid some emotional issues.

I was posting from a borrowed laptop, last night at home. Today I am posting from work.  How is any of that relevant?

My husband who is deceased bought the HP in 2009 from Frys, it had Vista installed and was not issued an original disk for the OS. He may have gotten one later, I know he talked to Frys but if he did I don't have it now. He made several disks that I do have but I'm not sure what they are. They are labeled but I'm stupid, ok? Afraid to use them, whatever. 

He used it extensively and it was loaded with programs that I would never use. It took me a year to touch it, other than to move his photos to an external. Shortly after my husband died I posted a question on this forum for some advice, I did some sort of scan on the system for the info and put it here, same info you've requested and I can't seem to find it. In any case, I hired a guy that works on several business computers locally to run a scan and replace the hard drive, which I bought from Newegg and he installed it, put the Windows 7 on and returned it to me. I wasn't concerned about no windows disk because we never had one with the Vista.

I'll try to locate the info for the computer but as I stated in my earlier post I did read your reply and those things were checked by the "tech" and he told me if I had any more problems to check the msconfig. I found the microsoft stuff "stopped", turned off the computer and went to bed.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »
I was being somewhat cryptic intentionally,

Don't do that.

How is any of that relevant?

Because you are being intentionally cryptic and it's confusing. In order to help you I/we need to have an idea of the PCs functionality. Can you turn it on, will it boot into windows, can you use a web browser? If so can you get into the event viewer?

Do you still have the borrowed laptop? If so when you get home lets work through some things.

If you want me to shutup, tell me to shutup and I will shutup.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 01:13:12 PM »
Don't shut up. I know very little about computers and thought I asked a simple question. Computers aren't simple and I'm not used to not having the answer, or admitting that I've done something stupid like hire an unknown for something so important.

Putting all of that aside, I know the hard drive needed replaced. I have a list of the errors that occured within 3 hours or so of getting it back.

I booted up with no problem and the pc was functional. I installed my anti-virus (Avast) and my Magic Jack phone. I made a phone call and left the computer on for about 30 mins, it went into sleep mode. When I came back to it, it was frozen. I finally managed to get it shut down, restarted and surfed the web a bit, installed my banking security and put a media card in the reader. It didn't recognize my SD card, nothing popped up and my Magic Jack had stopped working. It wouldn't download Mozilla. I called the tech and he came by last evening and did all of the things you suggested Event Viewer, checked the system. I tried to watch over his shoulder ( feel his pain? ) and he told me the things he was doing but I couldn't follow most of it. It was different issues than before the drive was replaced. I know he updated the ATI card or ADM. I questioned the use of the Windows 7 he had installed and was told that he paid an extra $400 for multiple licenses.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
I'm going over to my parents place and eat some fried chicken.

Can you be around at 7:00 pm ET ?

Have the laptop on the internet, have the problem PC *not* connected to the internet.

Also, that laptop, does it have the ability to burn a CD?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
It's a borrowed laptop so I'll have to check and yes I can be there at that time.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
I just want to let you know that I'm here and ready when ever you are.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
After reading through this thread, very little makes sense to me. Hard drives are not 32 or 64 bit. That is the OS. Things turned off in MSCONFIG don't really matter. That just keeps them from loading at startup. Based on what I've read so far, it sounds like a corrupted version of windows OS OR maybe a virus. (You really shouldn't have a virus on a fresh install, though.  IF you can get the PC to boot up, he very first thing I would do is turn off the "sleep mode". I can't tell you how many desktops have problems with that. To do that, go to an area of the screen that has no icon, right click, goto "personalize", then goto "screen saver". Click on screen saver, and a new window will pop up. At or near the bottom will be a link to "change power settings", click on that. Another window will pop up and on the left side at the bottom will be a link to "change when the computer sleeps" & click on that.  That window will change. You will see two choices. One will say when to turn off the display & the second will be when to turn off the hard dive. For the display, set that to whatever you want. For the hard drive, choose "NEVER". Save your changes and "ok" out those windows.

Now, many PC manufacturers don't supply a copy of the windows CD anymore, but it does kind of sound like your tech is using a bootleg copy of W7. That's only a guess though. It also sounds like he didn't install all of the drivers for your PC, initially, even though W7 is really good at having drivers built into the OS. It's also not uncommon to receive a brand new defective part. Newegg is pretty awesome about returns.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dori

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
This sounds too complicated.  My advice is to throw it away and buy a new one.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
The Government shut down strikes again.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.