Author Topic: Computer on the Fritz  (Read 8771 times)

Offline djones520

Computer on the Fritz
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »
So my wifes machine went haywire.  She installed a new game, and instantly the video would just shut down.  Every time we reboot the computer, we get about 5 seconds of image on the monitor, then the screen would just go black.

It's not the monitor, that's working fine.  I thought at first it was the video card.  So I unplugged the expansion card, and plugged the monitor into the motherboards video card.  Same issue.  So this is leading me to believe it's either something to do with the processor getting overheated, or maybe the power supply is just dying.  Anyone got anyother idea's?
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Computer on the Fritz
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »
Video buffer getting overloaded?  Try rolling back to pre-install date.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline djones520

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »
Video buffer getting overloaded?  Try rolling back to pre-install date.

Can't.  There is no image to work with, so it would be like a blind man trying to drive.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »
Can't.  There is no image to work with, so it would be like a blind man trying to drive.

Got another monitor you can try?  Driver incompatibility?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
Got another monitor you can try?  Driver incompatibility?

I could use my other monitor, but like I said, it's not a monitor issue.  The monitor works just fine.  It's something in the PC.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »
The video game probably installed some direct x driver that's not compatible with your video card. Can you boot into safe mode at all?? (continually press F8 after POST) IF you can, then go in and either uninstall the driver or rollback the drivers to prior to the game install.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
Actually NHS, I owe you an apology.

It was the monitor.  I ran an S-Video cable from the vid card to our tv, unplugged her monitor, and it's working just fine.  So now we gotta figure out how to come up with money to buy a new monitor...

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
I bought a used monitor for $45 eight years ago.  Works just fine.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline djones520

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
I bought a used monitor for $45 eight years ago.  Works just fine.

Was it a 17" lcd?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
Was it a 17" lcd?
:rofl: not even close.  It's a POS 17" crt from a ten year old Compaq Presario.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »
I took a half dozen 15" CRT screens - all working fine - to the dump not so long ago. No one wanted em even "free to good home".

Offline djones520

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 06:34:33 PM »
I took a half dozen 15" CRT screens - all working fine - to the dump not so long ago. No one wanted em even "free to good home".

I don't recall you asking about that on here.   :censored:

:-)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
I don't recall you asking about that on here.   :censored:

:-)

Maybe it was my "pickup only" freight costing system. :rotf:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:54 AM »
Actually NHS, I owe you an apology.

It was the monitor.  I ran an S-Video cable from the vid card to our tv, unplugged her monitor, and it's working just fine.  So now we gotta figure out how to come up with money to buy a new monitor...

No worries.  Dealt with it a few times when I was working for SCE and cobbling together several different computer systems.  Some monitors would work with certain OS, some not so much...

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
Yeesh you guys are cheap. If you have a Frys Electronics, look for a ACER 20"  flat screen they have on sale for right around $120.00. Bought 2 of them, I'll never go back to a CRT.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
Yeesh you guys are cheap. If you have a Frys Electronics, look for a ACER 20"  flat screen they have on sale for right around $120.00. Bought 2 of them, I'll never go back to a CRT.
:-) There are parts on my computer that are more than ten years old.  My video card only  has 16 MB.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:03 AM »
This thread reminds me of my wife's 7-year-old Dell. It's been to hell and back. The hard drive is full, the 15" flat screen works okay (but is kinda small any more), and the thing is being eaten up with heat due to the desk configuration.

Yeah, I know, install a fan. Do this. Do that. Actually, I just wanna excuse to buy a new one. They're incredibly cheap anymore.

Gonna wait for Windows 7 Pro to come out in October. Vista is a hanging turd.  :p 
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »
I have been in computer hell for about 2 weeks....

Got a bad gremlin in my computer....purchased Norton 360 online at a point where I could do anything....installed it....got rid of a trojan thing or 3 or 4....then my computer got worse. Did the reconfigure stuff that the Norton site said to do to make it work better...because I could not get a live body on the phone or computer. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Finally on Thursday...I got a live body on online chat ( ::) )...by this time I was so p'd that I just wanted to know how to get the darn thing safely and completely uninstalled and get my money back.

It's out, my money is to be credited back....

Now I need a new antivirus.....any suggestions?

I'm on windows 7 and internet explorer thru msn .....with a DSL line from AT&T.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
This thread reminds me of my wife's 7-year-old Dell. It's been to hell and back. The hard drive is full, the 15" flat screen works okay (but is kinda small any more), and the thing is being eaten up with heat due to the desk configuration.

Yeah, I know, install a fan. Do this. Do that. Actually, I just wanna excuse to buy a new one. They're incredibly cheap anymore.

Gonna wait for Windows 7 Pro to come out in October. Vista is a hanging turd.  :p 

My back up computer is an 8 year old Dell.  The only original equipment is the MoBo and CPU, (that was true after the first months of having it). I think it's dying, though. I did a complete format and reinstall of XP, with just the basics installed.  Every so often it hangs up during boot, won't shut down without holding the power button.  Recently I got an error message saying that it couldn't find my user profile, but it continued to boot up into a temp user.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »
I have been in computer hell for about 2 weeks....

Got a bad gremlin in my computer....purchased Norton 360 online at a point where I could do anything....installed it....got rid of a trojan thing or 3 or 4....then my computer got worse. Did the reconfigure stuff that the Norton site said to do to make it work better...because I could not get a live body on the phone or computer. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Finally on Thursday...I got a live body on online chat ( ::) )...by this time I was so p'd that I just wanted to know how to get the darn thing safely and completely uninstalled and get my money back.

It's out, my money is to be credited back....

Now I need a new antivirus.....any suggestions?

I'm on windows 7 and internet explorer thru msn .....with a DSL line from AT&T.

The latest AVG (free version) is your friend. Also, go to Trend Micro and run the full scan/fix.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
The latest AVG (free version) is your friend. Also, go to Trend Micro and run the full scan/fix.

Could you be a bit more specific on what I need to do.....sadly I need specific instructions and site on stuff like this.  :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline thundley4

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 08:51:19 PM »
Could you be a bit more specific on what I need to do.....sadly I need specific instructions and site on stuff like this.  :thatsright:

You can get the AVG program HERE.

Trend Micro offers a free online scan for nasties on the computer.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 09:01:02 PM »
You can get the AVG program HERE.

Trend Micro offers a free online scan for nasties on the computer.

:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

guess what I will now be doing tomorrow morning?  :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 09:16:44 PM »
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

guess what I will now be doing tomorrow morning?  :-)

snapfiles.com/freeware and downloads.com are both safe places to get freeware.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 10:08:38 PM »
snapfiles.com/freeware and downloads.com are both safe places to get freeware.

you are assuming that I know what I'm looking for.... :shucks: