Author Topic: does my fellow alum Skins have something against me?  (Read 5506 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
does my fellow alum Skins have something against me?
« on: October 24, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
Okay, as most know, I'm hobbling along on a temporary computer until the nephew gets here with the new tower and hard-drive.....which could be tomorrow, which could be circa Thanksgiving, as I'm, uh, sort of out of his way from Omaha.

This computer has Windows 98.

This computer was once a library computer--I had earlier said it came from a little old lady who used it only on Sundays, but I had misunderstood.

Excresence happens when one can't hear, and has to guess.

The library of course uses filters, because circa 75% of the patrons of the library are 18 years old and younger.

Skins's island is blocked by the library filter, for obscenities that salt-and-pepper the site.

When I'm using one of the current computers at the library, the librarian offers to unblock Skins's island especially for me, but I tell her no, don't bother, it's not important.

So that was the life of this computer at the library.

Since I've set it up here, of course I've gotten onto Skins's island all the time, but there's a peculiar situation.

Right after I get done copying-and-pasting a bonfire from Skins's island here, and go back to Skins's island to hit the "x" in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen, the computer at almost the same second says I'm doing an "illegal operation," and the thing shuts down.

About half the time, the dreaded blue screen--which I hadn't seen for years and years--pops up.

But no big deal; this is just a temporary fix, and there's nothing of value on this computer, even for a worm to digest or a hacker to hack.

But it's a most curious phenomenon, this shutting down right after I get done posting something from Skins's island.  It doesn't happen if I post something here from some other web-site; just with Skins's island.

Also--and it's no big deal, as this is temporary--every time I turn on this computer, it all "returns" to the original library settings; i.e., no records of my having been on it, my "favorites" all evaporated, "cookies" wiped clean, and any changes (such as removal of those damned "short-cut" icons on the screen) restored back to the original.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: does my fellow alum Skins have something against me?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:08:07 PM »
Have you removed the filtering software??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 07:17:02 AM »
Have you removed the filtering software??

I have no idea where the filtering software is.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »
I have no idea where the filtering software is.

It may not be worth it -- the whole thing is configured as a "library computer" and God only knows what kind of protections they have built in (Windows 98 was notoriously "open").

JUstr hang in there until you get your replacement.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 12:43:07 PM »
Just hang in there until you get your replacement.

That's my philosophy too.

But also remember my philosophy about the motor vehicle I had before this one, after the axle broke and the tie-rod got bent; I drove the crippled vehicle for two weeks (the weather was dry) just to see, to learn, what happens.

And so on this, I'm willing to "experiment" also; if something in it gets damaged or destroyed, no great loss.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »
Yes, if a replacement is on the way, better to wait than to spend any time trying to un-do what's been done to that library machine.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 01:33:49 PM »
Check the control panel, add remove software icon, see what software is installed. Look for  something that would indicate it is some sort of web protection, like Net Nanny. You may or may not be able to remove that stuff. Another way to see what's install is to go to http://www.belarc.com and download & install Belarc Advisor. Run it. It will show you what all software is installed and even the license key numbers.

You MAY have a problem uninstalling the web filtering software as they usually require some sort of password to uninstall.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Woody

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 12:21:33 AM »
It's Win98, crashes and "illegal operations" are all part of the fun.  This one is probably related to Internet Explorer shutting down.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, especially if you've got a replacement on the way. 
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 02:19:53 PM »
Okay, it's some weeks later, and I've finally figured out something.

It's wasted figuring-out, though, because the new computer should be here (coming from the nephew in Omaha) before Christmas.

As everybody knows, this is an ex-library computer, with all sorts of quirks.

And there's not a damned thing one can do about those quirks.

I had complained that it shuts down whenever I come back here from Skins's island, probably due to some sort of library filter that screens out obscene web-sites.

Then I started noticing something.

It still shuts down whenever I return here from Skins's island.....but only if I went to Skins's island directly from this place (i.e., clicked on a link to Skins's island, a link that's posted here).

It doesn't shut down when, while here, I open a new window and then go to google to look up specific primitives, and then go to Skins's island from there.

Am I evading the ever-watchful eyes of the elusive enigmatic Elad?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 03:08:28 PM »
It's probably some security setting within IE that's giving you the problem. Of course 98 wasn't the most spectacular Windows version.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 03:13:46 PM »
Every time we turn onto the service road, which is our escape to everywhere, which requires going by the now-named Valero station, I annouce to my wife I am passing gas. 

Aren't you glad you aren't married to me?

Offline Woody

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »
FS - Assuming this is still a problem, what version of IE are you using?  Open it, go to Help - About Internet Explorer, and look for "Version No."  I only need the first couple of digits, like 4.0 or 5.5.

Woody
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »
FS - Assuming this is still a problem, what version of IE are you using?  Open it, go to Help - About Internet Explorer, and look for "Version No."  I only need the first couple of digits, like 4.0 or 5.5.

Woody

I know exactly what you want.

But "about" isn't listed under "properties" when I right-click Internet Explorer.

Since this is Windows98, I assume it reasonable to assume it's Explorer 2.0.

Or something.

I checked "help," but there's no "about."

Every other computer I've ever had had "about" when one right-clicked "properties."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Woody

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 12:32:27 AM »
Try this route: Open IE, and look for a Help menu at the top.  (It's usually at the end of the File, Edit, View... menus.)  If you don't see it, look for System Information; I think it's somewhere in the Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools folder.  There *should* be an Internet Settings option.  Click the + sign by it, then the + sign by Internet Explorer, then click on Summary. 

(It's been a while since I've used Win98.)

OR: You could just click here:
http://webmaster.info.aol.com/browserjs.html
And tell me what it says under "useragent"

Woody

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 07:40:24 AM »
Try this route: Open IE, and look for a Help menu at the top.  (It's usually at the end of the File, Edit, View... menus.)  If you don't see it, look for System Information; I think it's somewhere in the Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools folder.  There *should* be an Internet Settings option.  Click the + sign by it, then the + sign by Internet Explorer, then click on Summary. 

(It's been a while since I've used Win98.)

OR: You could just click here:
http://webmaster.info.aol.com/browserjs.html
And tell me what it says under "useragent"

Woody

You know, sir, after last night I decided it was pretty pointless.

The computer insisted it was time I updated to Explorer 7.

So I tried, and then the computer said I could update only to Explorer 6 (or whatever the one was, just before Explorer 7).

I did that.

But this is a library computer.....meaning that when I shut down and restarted, the computer threw away the download.  I fear this computer's set in stone.

But not to worry; new one coming.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Woody

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »
I see what's going on...  The computer re-writes itself every reboot. 

I'd also wait for the next computer, if it's not too far away. 

Otherwise, I'd find an old copy of Windows 2000 and blow away the Win98 installation. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »
I see what's going on...  The computer re-writes itself every reboot. 

I'd also wait for the next computer, if it's not too far away. 

Otherwise, I'd find an old copy of Windows 2000 and blow away the Win98 installation. 

"The computer re-writes itself every reboot."

Something similar to that was always on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't ever figure out the right words to describe the situation.

Thank you, sir.  Now I know what to say.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 05:36:34 PM »

Later.....

This provokes something else.

Even with the new computer, with Windows Vista in it, your idea might be good.

I've always been real big on "spares"--at least one spare of everything if possible.

Usually it's because of great distances one has to travel to replace something, or because I'm single and have to do everything myself, and in some rare instances, money.

And the snows of winter are likely to inundate the Sandhills soon.

I had thought that as soon as the new computer, the refurbished one from the nephew in Omaha, got here, I would just play with this one, trying to figure out what makes a computer work, and ultimately destroying it while "exploring" it, just as I do with motor vehicles.

Which is okay, because one already has a new one.

One learns a great deal by taking apart things that no longer work, or are of no use.

Now I'm wondering.

This thing has 32 gb, the "connections" (outlets and somesuch) appear to be those currently in widespread use), and appears to have no significant problems.

I know there's things such as 600 gb computers, but I've never used more than 6 or 7 gbs (that "pie chart" in "properties" of the C drive)--being deaf, I don't use a whole lot of things on a computer that most people use.

That just might be a good idea, to look around for a compact disc of Windows2000 or WindowsXP or even WindowsVista, and put it in this one, rather than, after the other one arrives, messing around with this one, taking it apart, and ultimately trashing it.

You think this might be a good idea?

I know I sound as stupid as Pedro Picasso, but really, I just never paid much attention.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »
Frank, there's a difference between hard drive capacity & RAM. Processor speed also comes into play. Knowing those parameters would be instrumental to knowing whether or not your current PC could support a different version of Windows.

Belarc Advisor would tell you all of that information.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »
Wow.  That gives a lot of information, Thor.

I'm sending the data to you and Woody via personal message.

I downloaded it, but it'll disappear when I shut off this computer.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Woody

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »
I'd describe your computer as having a 1 GHz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and a 30 GB HD.  Those are the pertinent specs for most operating systems and programs.  It's not a screamer, but it'll do fine for web browsing, email, and such.

You could definitely install Windows 2000 on it, but I wouldn't recommend XP on it without at least doubling the memory.  You'll need PC100 or PC133 memory, and it will support up to 512 MB sticks of RAM, although there do seem to be some limitations at the upper end. 
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d815eea2/sb/cs-013034.htm

Also, Windows 2000 doesn't "call home" the way XP does, so you'll probably have an easier time finding a copy. 

I basically learned computers by repeatedly breaking mine; it's a good career path. :p

PS Replied to your PM.