Author Topic: computer news  (Read 3308 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
computer news
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
My thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions since last Saturday afternoon, when something went really bad with the computer at home (I am posting this from the town library)--it's too bad I never got to see such suggestions and other assistance, as I had immediately disconnected the internet connection.....and then Sunday morning, when it became obvious nothing could be done, I ripped the tower open and hammered all the pieces, including the hard-drive, whatnot, into bits.  It was already destroyed before I did that, and I didn't want to deal with it anymore, thus the hammer.

This past Monday being a holiday, I had trouble getting a hold of any computer experts, but I succeeded, and was told the source of the problem.  (It was a virus, not a hack.)  I was surprised that I had barely uttered a sentence and a half, and the guy already knew what it was, and what had happened.

At first, he thought my reaction was a little over the top, but then when he finally remembered who I am, he decided, yeah, that was an okay reaction, because getting a new tower is preferable to any other possible solution.  And so I'm headed to the big city after I get done writing all of this, to discuss what's available--also since my internet service deals with cellular telephones, I'm going to see what might be available there too.

This is NOT to say I'll come back here with a new computer (tower); it takes a couple or more days, as the guys there twiddle with one, remodeling it to what I specifically need, to my specifications, or whatever.  So I'll just have to be posting from the town library at least until later this week.

That was one Hell of a virus, so well done, so solid, so substantial, so unremovable, which is why I ended up smashing the tower to bits (not out of anger; when something becomes a piece of junk, no longer usable, I just rip it up so as to see what's inside of it, before tossing it away).

The computer guy said the usual remedy is to have the computer gutted and then everything reinstalled again--but of course since I never had anything "valuable" on any computer I've ever owned, it's probably just better to scrap what I had, getting one more up-to-date.  All I lost of any value were my avatars, and while many of them can be gotten back using Google "image" search, the one I can't is the photograph of my fellow alum Skins, which the Sarge also used as an avatar for a short while.  If anyone has that, I'd appreciate a copy of it, as I was rather attached to that particular avatar.

My fellow alum was never as famous as Henry R. Luce or Clare Booth Luce, so I don't imagine one could find it on a Google "image" search.

That's the only thing I irretrievably lost, that one avatar.

I've never stored anything of value on computers, even though I've been on the internet since 1996.  There have been losses of information, but minor.  One time I lost jpeg images of a certificate of death from Washington, and a Western Union telegram sent to Johns Hopkins Medical Center, returned to me marked "recipient not known here" (the real-life copies ended up in law-enforcement files, where one assumes they will get dusty and yellow and crumble apart).

The worst thing I ever lost when a computer went down was the famous "Norway ping list" for freerepublic, which explains why freerepublic has been woefully absent of news from Norway for about four years.

But generally I don't put anything of value on a computer, preferring to have real-life hard copies of such stuff.

This last tower (the hard-drive and all that other stuff) lasted me four and a half years, and I had paid $100 for it, and so I got no complaints.  All good things must come to an end, after which one goes out and gets another good thing.  And besides, this time, maybe the Kodak printer/copier/scanner can be installed correctly; in the now-demolished tower, I got it to copy, to print, to scan, but I couldn't convert scanned images into jpeg images.  Maybe a second time, but in a newer machine, will do it.

God is good, and I must again say that I have been on the internet since 1996, and one supposes that the longer one has been on the internet, the likelihood of some sort of mischief increases.  This was my first, and I hope only, virus, ever.

If "Virus Research Lab 2009" pops up unexpectedly on your computer, well, you got problems.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: computer news
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:42:31 PM »
You murderer !!! Most EVERYTHING is salvageable !! (ESPECIALLY computers !!)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »
So.....I just got back from the big city.

I found out a lot about barebones cellular telephones and barebones computer towers with hard drives.

And so I'm still thinking.

Now, is this a good buy?  Remember, it is a reconditioned unit reconditioned by a top-of-the-line computer expert, and of course he alters things to my specifications or needs, no charge or anything:

P4 HT - 2.8/GIGABYTE BOARD
1 GIG RAM
250 GIG SATA HD
XP PRO SP3
64 MEGA VIDEO
FIREWIRE ADAPTER
DVD/CD-RW
BLACK CASE
420 WATT PS

$250 OR BEST OFFER

All this means nothing to me, but when looking at it, it looked as if it's a lot more than what I could use or need......and we all know how franksolich resents having to pay for things he can't use or doesn't need.

But it's a possibility.

As for telephones, I have a whole ream of information, and haven't digested any of that yet.

It's a pity I had to be running around all over today, when it's been a great day, a wonderful day, a legendary autumn day, in the Sandhills of Nebraska; temperatures in the 40s, a slight wind, and rain drizzling down.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 04:27:22 PM »
For $250?  Sounds OK.

Get a 3 month warranty.  Any real problems should pop up by then.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 04:29:17 PM »
By the way, I forgot to add that I had the pleasure of talking to our Mr. Wiggum, a true gentleman, although not the pleasure of hearing him.  As I had his telephone number, late in the evening after the computer gave up its ghost, I decided it might be a good idea to call him.

As usual, because I can't hear the other end, I had "pre-scripted" the most-likely sort of conversation, both his dialogue and my dialogue.  I stuck to my script, but I have no idea if Mr. Wiggum stuck to the script I had mentally written for him.

I assume however it went okay.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Woody

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:48:25 PM »
That sounds like a good deal.

The next time you go to trash the computer (and it does sound fun), keep the hard drive.  The data on there can be salvaged, even if it is wholly infested with viruses.

Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »
That's better than the computer I have now and I spent a lot more than $250 when I built it.  I've had the same computer since 2002, give or take a few hard drives.  They seem to be the first thing to go.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Woody

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »
That's better than the computer I have now and I spent a lot more than $250 when I built it.  I've had the same computer since 2002, give or take a few hard drives.  They seem to be the first thing to go.

Yup.  Everything with moving parts eventually dies.  Other than hard drives and fans, computers are pretty solid-state.  BTW, to make a HDD last longer, make sure a fan pulls or blows air across it, and occasionally blow the dust off of it.  I have a 12 GB drive from around 1996 that has been running my firewall 24/7 for the last four years, so they can last a while.

Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951