Author Topic: Severed From the World, Villagers Survive on Tight Bonds and To-Do Lists  (Read 3757 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Taken from real-world stuff . . . The New York Times has a piece on a village in Japan, cut off by the earthquake/tsunami.  I saw it on SurvivalBlog.com.

Severed From the World, Villagers Survive on Tight Bonds and To-Do Lists

A woman came to a refugee center in Hadenya to find information about her parents' whereabouts.

By MARTIN FACKLER
Published: March 23, 2011

HADENYA, Japan — The colossal wave that swept away this tiny fishing hamlet also washed out nearby bridges, phone lines and cellphone service, leaving survivors shivering and dazed and completely cut off at a hilltop community center.

With no time to mourn for their missing loved ones, they were immediately thrust into the struggle to stay alive in the frigid winter cold, amid a hushed, apocalyptic landscape of wrecked homes, crushed vehicles and stranded boats. They had scant food and fuel and no news from the outside world — not even the scope of the devastation.

On Wednesday, after the Japanese military finally reached them for the first time since the tsunami struck 12 days ago, by erecting makeshift bridges and cutting roads through the debris, they told a remarkable tale of survival that drew uniquely on the tight bonds of their once-tidy village, having quickly reorganized themselves roughly along the lines of their original community: choosing leaders, assigning tasks and helping the young and the weak.

The ability of the people of Hadenya to survive by banding together in a way so exemplary of Japan’s communal spirit and organizing abilities is a story being repeated day to day across the ravaged northern coastline, where the deadly earthquake and tsunami left survivors fending for themselves in isolated pockets. Some are still awaiting relief.

Almost as soon as the waters receded, those rescued here said, they began dividing tasks along gender lines, with women boiling water and preparing food, while men went scavenging for firewood and gasoline. Within days, they said, they had re-established a complex community, with a hierarchy and division of labor, in which members were assigned daily tasks.

The rest is at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/world/asia/24isolated.html?_r=3&adxnnl=1&ref=martinfackler&adxnnlx=1301068838-wGv7V/YPR76HJ5rgk3ih0g

Interesting how their society started right back up.  Ours?  It wouldn't be close to this.

ETA:  The picture didn't make it over here.  Oh well. ::)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Interesting how their society started right back up.  Ours?  It wouldn't be close to this.

Eh, maybe in New York. I've seen similiar results with tornado damage here in OK and it has played out about the same without emergency aid coming for days.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)

Eh, maybe in New York. I've seen similiar results with tornado damage here in OK and it has played out about the same without emergency aid coming for days.

Exactly, OH!! It depends on WHERE the disaster happens. With the floods in Iowa a few years ago, the same thing happened. They picked up, cleaned up and moved forward. One can't say the same about New Orleans.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
That's almost the same story as NOLA.   ::)
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
I know that the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area would be pretty brutal.  NYC?  Forget it.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
That's why I kind of like where I live. We could lock down this neighborhood fairly easily & fairly quickly should the need arise.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Anyone within a half day drive of a moderate to large population center is in for a world of hurt should the supply chain and law enforcement collapse for more than a few days.

Unexpected disasters like earthquakes are the most difficult to properly prepare for, especially to the city dwellers.

I sit and think what would happen if a tsunami were to be bound for the city I live on the outskirts of. Or rather what happened last time we actually had a warning issued.  By time I discovered there was a warning all the roads to higher ground were in gridlock and the arterial roads were choked with traffic. If the wave had of reached us it would have been a very bad thing.

This got me to thinking. Prior to then most of my disaster planning revolved more around a societal collapse type of deal - where I assumed enough warning (lets say more than 6 hours) to load the truck up with the bug out boxes camping gear - hook the boat on and vamoose up the hill and out of town. Assumption being the mother of all ****ups as they say.

The only practical solution to this as I see it is to find a decent size chunk of dirt up in the bush and move there permanently. Modern technology makes it possible to continue my "job" from pretty much any place that gets a data link, and having a suitably remote piece of dirt means that one can maintain a much higher standard of living after the event by having already constructed shelter, and made provision for water and food. I actually like the lack of "civilization" and peace that comes with being in remote areas so it's really a win-win situation.

Going off the grid in this climate is something of a mixed blessing. Water we get lots of - 6 months a year. the other 6 nothing. Food - easy to produce year around but nearly impossible to store for any long period. Shelter - required only to keep the bugs and heat from sending you insane (or more so as the case may be).

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Anyone within a half day drive of a moderate to large population center is in for a world of hurt should the supply chain and law enforcement collapse for more than a few days.

Let's just say that it would be smart in OKC to have your base of fire affixed toward the South-Central and North-East portions of the city if that should come about.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Exactly, OH!! It depends on WHERE the disaster happens. With the floods in Iowa a few years ago, the same thing happened. They picked up, cleaned up and moved forward. One can't say the same about New Orleans.

But on the MGC, everyone bonded and combined resources to survive and moved forward. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent