Author Topic: What do you have in that bag.  (Read 9172 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: What do you have in that bag.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »
I just noticed that no one, on this particular thread anyway, has mentioned any type of communication device, such as ham or cb radio.  Thoughts?  I am specifically trying to set up my "bag" so-to-speak, with things that will not be affected adversely in a loss of electrical power. 

I have an ICOM 40 channel UHF Hand held Transceiver for convoy and highway communications. It's easily charged from any 12 V source.  This is the radio I carry when hunting or trekking around in the bush with a metal detector to communicate back to base camp.

Thinking to invest in a hand held scanner as that's a passive means to monitor most of the spectrum - which can be useful if there's anyone out there transmitting.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 11:13:30 PM »
I have an ICOM 40 channel UHF Hand held Transceiver for convoy and highway communications. It's easily charged from any 12 V source.  This is the radio I carry when hunting or trekking around in the bush with a metal detector to communicate back to base camp.

Thinking to invest in a hand held scanner as that's a passive means to monitor most of the spectrum - which can be useful if there's anyone out there transmitting.

What happens when you run out of viable 12v sources??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 02:02:36 AM »
What happens when you run out of viable 12v sources??

Make one or "recover" one from the ashes of society.  :-)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »
Given solar chargers, the existing supply of 12v auto batteries should easily last for a couple of decades, but on top of that there are always means like the hand-crank military generators for radios you may have seen in old WWII movies to directly power the set or recharge batts; a US one would really be a collectors item, but I think some Red Chinese or Warsaw Pact ones of more recent vintage can be found in the milsurp market still.  It would not be very hard to make something equivalent (But heavier and uglier) from left-over auto and bike parts.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
I don't bug out.  People from Boston and Manch-Vegas bug out to me.  Canned food and shotguns.  I'm good.

Exactly, I'm not going anywhere. I have enough propane and kerosene in my tanks to last about two years, and good fishing in Lake Champlain to supplement the canned food.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »
Exactly, I'm not going anywhere. I have enough propane and kerosene in my tanks to last about two years, and good fishing in Lake Champlain to supplement the canned food.

I have reread this from the start and I still don't know how you guys could survive more then a couple of years in a SHTF situation.

All of America has seasons, even Hawaii has wet and dry season.

One can bring all the freezed dry food with them but they still need a water source to prepare the food . A hand iron wok to cook the food is light and can be used over a camp fire.    But most sources of water, streams and lakes are not a good choice to get water from unless you boil it first.

Depending on the reason for bugging out, it may not be a good idea to hunt animals for food. One never knows what they ate or drank.

I am trying to remember the 3 necessary requirements for people to survive.

Food + water
shelter
clothing.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 04:20:30 PM »
Ummm . . . vesta, ain't that four things?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »
Ummm . . . vesta, ain't that four things?

NOPE, just 3, food and water goes together one cannot live with one of them missing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »
Actually vesta, any survival trainer or even experienced backpacker or primitive camper will tell you otherwise. 

The average adult American in good health and getting typical nutrition can easily go a week without food with no permanent ill effects.  Of course it's extremely unpleasant and your level of energy output has to be minimized. 

Water is an entirely different matter, without it in the wrong conditions you can be dying of heat stroke within 12 hours, and carrying it with you is a much bigger problem than food represents due to its high weight per volume and liquid nature. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline KittenClaws

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
Knowing where a water source is is important - that and having the proper supplies to purify it the best way you can.

This can be tablets, bleach, or the knowledge/tools to make a fire.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 02:19:10 AM »
Knowing where a water source is is important - that and having the proper supplies to purify it the best way you can.

This can be tablets, bleach, or the knowledge/tools to make a fire.

A solar Still  - while grossly inefficient is very easy to build, and if built right can decontaminate most water sources (I still boil water collected from one for a good 10 minutes before cooling to drink.

Tablets and bleach are only going to be viable for a limited time (while available so to speak)  and aren't very effective with water that has a high turbidity or has chemical pollutants in it.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 05:08:38 AM »
Do ya all not have waterfilters? The MSR waterworks I have on my list can make a mud puddle drinkable. I have done alot of wilderness camping and never worried about water. Off course I aways bring 2 and a rebuild kit just in case.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"