Author Topic: Miskie's "Man On The Street" update..  (Read 2926 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Miskie's "Man On The Street" update..
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:38:36 AM »
What I have seen so far --

The short version is Brown supporters are RABID - Personally, I have never seen anything like it in Massachusetts, ever.

The campaign has completely run out of swag - no buttons, bumper stickers, yard signs etc. left.

People are now making their own signs out of anything they can find. Painting windows, etc.

Supporters view this as not only a move for the Commonwealth, but a move for the nation, and many do consider this the second shot that will be heard around the world.

If Brown does lose in the end, it will not be from lack of support from our side - it will be simply because of raw numbers or good old fashioned cheating.

The most heartening thing though is the apparent movement of unions away from Coakley - even though several of their leadership are endorsing her, the workers just aren't buying it. I think the poor employment figures coupled with 'Cadillac Tax' has pissed Joe Worker off. Except the Teacher's Unions. They are afraid of vouchers and merit pay. Seriously.

Here is the best part -
Talking to Democrats, they are still convinced that even though she isn't the best candidate, she has it in the bag. They are entirely unmotivated to vote. Only the base is out. Damn near every conservative in the state though is fired up, and those that have joined in support from both the independent voters and the Democrats are equally motivated.

If I had forseen this I would have taken Tuesday off to go on a journey with my camera. Its gonna be something unique, that's for sure. Now all that's left is to see what kind of spin The One puts on for Queen Martha.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Miskie's "Man On The Street" update..
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:42:49 AM »
Here is the best part -
Talking to Democrats, they are still convinced that even though she isn't the best candidate, she has it in the bag. They are entirely unmotivated to vote. Only the base is out. Damn near every conservative in the state though is fired up, and those that have joined in support from both the independent voters and the Democrats are equally motivated.

The weather in MA is supposed to be clear and dry on Tuesday; rain is forecast for Monday and Wednesday in Boston.

I had heard that bad weather generally supresses Democrat votes.  I hope that's not the only thing.  When I worked retail, it was interesting in that you could see a marked difference in store traffic on nice days compared to bad ones, weather-wise.

This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:45:40 AM »
Nail-biter doesn't begin to describe it.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:50:30 AM »
HAHAHAH!!

Code: [Select]
Detailed Local Forecast

* Today: Sunny skies this morning will become overcast during the afternoon. High around 40F. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph.
    * Tonight: Cloudy and windy with periods of rain. Some sleet may mix in. Low 34F. Winds NE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall may reach one inch.
    * Tomorrow: Windy...cloudy with rain and snow showers. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. Winds N at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of precip 60%.
    * Tomorrow night: Mostly cloudy skies. Low 27F. NNW winds at 15 to 25 mph, diminishing to 5 to 10 mph.
    * Tuesday: Occasional showers possible. Highs in the upper 30s and lows in the upper 20s.
    * Wednesday: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the low 30s.
    * Thursday: Showers. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 20s.

edit : moved to Doppler radar updates now that the storm is closer..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:42:12 PM by miskie »

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »
Nail-biter doesn't begin to describe it.

No kidding - Personally, I had no intention of getting sucked into this campaign, because the odds of such a victory just 14 days ago were damn near impossible - then about a week back it became likely for a good showing but still impossible.

The last seven or so days though have been incredible.

Now I know what Hope and Change feels like - thanks both to Obama, and Scott Brown  :-)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »
And the weather situation continues to degrade --

Rain and Snow for Tuesday in Boston after snow on Monday- Whoever has the keys for the VRWC X22 Weathermaker is doing a fine job gradually turning down what was supposed to be a bright sunny day - It's got to be Teh R0v3. We in the SouthCoast are looking at a soggy slushy mess for Monday into Tuesday.

I checked weather for Boston, New Bedford, Fall River, Lowell, Worcester, and Springfield - they are all about the same save for Springfield which has a lesser chance of precipitation since its a bit further west. 

Monday - Snow or snow/rain
Tuesday - More snow or snow/rain

With the rate of forcast degradation, we could be talking anything from nasty wind driven sleet to blizzard by the time Tuesday rolls around. - People here know Im a rural lettercarrier - and ya know what - If the crap is coming down in buckets I will be out there, drenched, cold and very, very happy.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »

Rain and Snow for Tuesday in Boston after snow on Monday- Whoever has the keys for the VRWC X22 Weathermaker is doing a fine job gradually turning down what was supposed to be a bright sunny day - It's got to be Teh R0v3. We in the SouthCoast are looking at a soggy slushy mess for Monday into Tuesday.

I checked weather for Boston, New Bedford, Fall River, Lowell, Worcester, and Springfield - they are all about the same save for Springfield which has a lesser chance of precipitation since its a bit further west. 

With the rate of forcast degradation, we could be talking anything from nasty wind driven sleet to blizzard by the time Tuesday rolls around. - People here know Im a rural lettercarrier - and ya know what - If the crap is coming down in buckets I will be out there, drenched, cold and very, very happy.

Here's hoping the weather is miserable on the day, glad to hear  you will be happy to take on for the team.  :-)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
I checked TWC's forecast for Boston on Friday afternoon.  Must have changed since then.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »
I checked TWC's forecast for Boston on Friday afternoon.  Must have changed since then.

Indeed - You know what they say about weather in New England   :-)

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
A friend of mine from MA is saying the same thing. The Brown supporters are just so pumped to cast their vote for this guy. She also said that Obama's appearance is a hail mary to energize the AA vote on this MLK weekend and that there is really no love for Obama in MA.

I am very excited for MA.... I hope this is a huge upset.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
A friend of mine from MA is saying the same thing. The Brown supporters are just so pumped to cast their vote for this guy. She also said that Obama's appearance is a hail mary to energize the AA vote on this MLK weekend and that there is really no love for Obama in MA.

I am very excited for MA.... I hope this is a huge upset.

If Brown pulls this off, it will probably be considered the single largest political upset in modern American history - and it will certainly put Brown on the short list for V.P. in '12 -- I'm still not updating my prediction that has been in my sig line since the day Obama won, But I may be proven wrong.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »

After having Black Monday do 'the Feds' (not including mailmen in most instances) get Brown Tuesday too or is that just for the local hacks?

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
If Brown pulls this off, it will probably be considered the single largest political upset in modern American history - and it will certainly put Brown on the short list for V.P. in '12 -- I'm still not updating my prediction that has been in my sig line since the day Obama won, But I may be proven wrong.

I hope you're right.

It seems like every smear campaign waged against Brown has back-fired in Coakley's face in a big way. Are they that horribly out of touch, arrogant, all of the above? I have no idea, but the ineptitude is strong in the Coakley camp.  :evillaugh:

Still, I am waiting for a proverbial shoe to drop somewhere. I really thought a bombshell would be leaked this weekend akin to the Rather TANG memo, but that doesn't seem likely. Now I am thinking that their strategy will be to steal the election. The thing is so many eyes on this one.... are they really that bold? 
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 02:30:51 PM »
Anyone know anything about Joe Kennedy's supporters?  Will they break for Brown or continue to support Joe?  I noticed the Suffolk poll posted a few days ago has him at 3%.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »
Anyone know anything about Joe Kennedy's supporters?  Will they break for Brown or continue to support Joe?  I noticed the Suffolk poll posted a few days ago has him at 3%.

$10,000.00 question. Libertarians are a strange lot.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
Mrs. doc thinks we are all whistling past the graveyard on this......

Her comment was....." The Democrats in MA will intentionally commit suicide in front of every polling place, and turn them into crime scenes before allowing Brown to win Dead Ted's seat......."

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
Mrs. doc thinks we are all whistling past the graveyard on this......

Her comment was....." The Democrats in MA will intentionally commit suicide in front of every polling place, and turn them into crime scenes before allowing Brown to win Dead Ted's seat......."

doc

LOL  H5 Mrs. Doc!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 03:36:21 PM »

There is a rumor floating about that Joe is going to pack it in and endorse Brown shortly after the Obama for Coakley rally - which I just realized I didn't even watch - I think it was a 330 EST at Northeastern. There are no print references I have seen on this so consider it as I do, an unsubstantiated rumor.

Anyway, if that does happen, I suspect all of Kennedy's remaining votes will be people who think they are voting Joe-For-Oil Kennedy - which would make for a nice spoiler.. :-) if the election turns squeaker. 

This Reminds me, I have seen more Joe Kennedy lawn signs than Coakley ones.. --ONE-- that's it. One Kennedy sign, no Coakley signs since the primary when Democrat lawns were about 1-to-1 with Capuano.   

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »
$10,000.00 question. Libertarians are a strange lot.

I took at look at Jay Severin - he is perhaps the biggest Libertarian radio talk-show host in Massachusett(e)s, and he has interviewed Kennedy and was backing him at the start - Severin is all about Brown now - because even though his views are much closer to Kennedy's - he knows that Kennedy cannot win - And slowing down The Obama Express means more to him than a few points where Republicans and Libertarians disagree.