Author Topic: How to pray when you don't feel like praying  (Read 9776 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
How to pray when you don't feel like praying
« on: June 24, 2016, 07:31:16 AM »
I really can't recall just how I got to this today, but I read this article on Christian Today and figured that it would be a good one to repost here . . .

How to pray when you don't feel like praying

JB Cachila   Published 23 June 2016

Friend, when we say that we "don't feel like praying," it's like we're saying we "don't feel like talking to God," who is virtually the only Person who can understand us in all that we are going through.

Deciding not to talk to God regarding what we feel or think when we actually need to is like saying "I don't need God, I can face this [insert issue here] on my own."

Why you can't afford not to pray

Friend, we can't afford not to pray. We can't afford that, as a Christian, we'd be disconnected from our Source of power and all that we need. When we don't feel like praying, that's actually the time when we should pray the most.

Psalm 102 gives us a great example of a prayer of "one overwhelmed with trouble," asking God for help.

"Lord, hear my prayer! Listen to my plea! Don't turn away from me in my time of distress. Bend down to listen, and answer me quickly when I call to you. For my days disappear like smoke, and my bones burn like red-hot coals. My heart is sick, withered like grass, and I have lost my appetite. Because of my groaning, I am reduced to skin and bones. I am like an owl in the desert, like a little owl in a far-off wilderness. I lie awake, lonely as a solitary bird on the roof. My enemies taunt me day after day. They mock and curse me. I eat ashes for food. My tears run down into my drink because of your anger and wrath. For you have picked me up and thrown me out. My life passes as swiftly as the evening shadows. I am withering away like grass." (Psalm 102:1-11)

The rest of this piece is here:  http://www.christiantoday.com/article/how.to.pray.when.you.dont.feel.like.praying/89083.htm?print=1

Good stuff!  It will inspire me to keep praying in tough times . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: How to pray when you don't feel like praying
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
As I recall there are 6 types of prayers.
Not sure if I am getting them all, or if they're even right, but here goes...
1) Thanksgiving
2) Praise
3) Intercession
4) Prayer of Faith
5) Prayer of Agreement
6) Prayer of Commitment

Can anyone help a brother out ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.