Author Topic: 1983 Datsun 280ZX  (Read 144406 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1983 Datsun 280ZX
« Reply #475 on: November 18, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »
It's not a huge leak... maybe a cup a week, but you can definitely see it on the steering knuckle.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #476 on: November 20, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »
Swapped out the fuel filter today and dumped a bottle of injector cleaner into a full tank.  No results yet.  My pressure regulator will be here on Tuesday.

Ford has a Merlot Metallic that I saw on a Five Hundred today.  It looks REALLY nice.

http://ffcars.com/forums/showpost.php?s=3ea6083747f1da271e68bfe426b00889&p=1510802&postcount=4

Also, it looks like the PS fluid is dripping directly from the steering knuckle, but it could be coming from somewhere else.  The dust boots are non-existent and are pretty shredded.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #477 on: November 27, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »
Replaced injector #1 and all is well (or at least better) with the world. :yahoo:

Still dealing with a hard start problem.  I'll take a look at that tomorrow.  I wonder if all the gaskets on this car were replaced with silly putty at some point, because every time I strip something off, it comes with this grey film that looks like modeling clay.  Maybe the old ones are delaminating... I don't know.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #478 on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
could be some sort of gasket sealant or the rubberized gaskets have simply worn out??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #479 on: November 27, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »
It looks like gasket sealant.  I'm just wondering why it was necessary and if it came from the factory that way.  The only gaskets on the injectors are two o-rings.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #480 on: November 27, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »
What an odd day.  Some neighborhood goons gave me some shit for my "totally 80's" choice of cars.  The pathetic part?  They were walking.

My brother seems to have acquired a new vehicle that has locking lugs on one wheel.  That wheel just happens to have a flat tire, so I get to haul my extractors and angle grinder over there tomorrow.  I can't find my big set of Vise Grips... they might come in handy. :(
Hopefully I will have enough time to replace my FPR while I'm there.

The older car is becoming a parts car more and more every week.  I don't feel motivated to put things back on when I take them off, so it's slowly filling up with parts and pieces.  I should probably get around to changing that flat tire, though.  I don't want to damage that wheel.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:51:54 PM by chris_ »

Offline true_blood

« Reply #481 on: November 28, 2010, 03:16:47 PM »
What an odd day.  Some neighborhood goons gave me some shit for my "totally 80's" choice of cars.  The pathetic part?  They were walking.
Some douche bags just don't appreciate cars. They look at them as "appliances".
Not I. :-)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #482 on: November 28, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
Well, after all, it IS a classless 80s vintage car.......... :fuelfire: :tongue: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #483 on: November 28, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
Says the guy who likes his Nissan Sentra.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #484 on: November 28, 2010, 07:54:50 PM »
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/slideshow/1803105

Neat... take that, factory service manual.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #485 on: November 28, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »
Get it right Chris, it's a 79 Datsun 310GX. (Ooops, that's a classic 70's CAR!!!  :o :-) ) Only reason I like that car is that I could squeak almost 40 mpg out of it and it doesn't look half bad with some nice rims on it.  I also know that vehicle's power train inside & out...... but that's another story........

Offline Chris_

« Reply #486 on: November 28, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/curbside-classic-outtake-nissans-datsun-rabbitgolf-imitation/

Congratulations, you owned a Pulsar (which was eventually replaced by the Sentra).

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #487 on: November 28, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/curbside-classic-outtake-nissans-datsun-rabbitgolf-imitation/

Congratulations, you owned a Pulsar (which was eventually replaced by the Sentra).

LOL, NO......... it was an F10 remake, actually.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #488 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
Mine was a two door wit the "Targa Band".... I used to have a pic of it. It wasn't half bad for its day

Mine was solid Maroon, except for the "Targa Band" which was some extra piece of decorative metal across the back

BTW, that article is wrong, the 310GX came out new in 79. 78s were F10s and didn't look like that

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #489 on: November 28, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »
Hmmm, I found one for sale. I think the price is a little high.

http://ames.craigslist.org/cto/2071404518.html

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #490 on: November 29, 2010, 08:38:21 AM »

Run them over.  :-)
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

« Reply #491 on: November 29, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #492 on: November 29, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »
Ya know, if you want to do a REAL restoration, keeping it the original stock color makes it worth more down the road.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #493 on: November 29, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »
Ya know, if you want to do a REAL restoration, keeping it the original stock color makes it worth more down the road.
Agreed. Hubby had a 70 Challenger. kept it original down to the rims. We had to sell it when we moved up here to the snow. His buddy had a purple one sold it for bucks.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Chris_

« Reply #494 on: November 29, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »
Wait, I thought my car was an un-collectable piece of 80's trash :rotf:

I'm considering sticking with the original color, but a repaint would have to be really, really good (probably between $1500-2000).  The pinstriping has got to go.  Nissan is still using the same paint color and I've seen so many faded, worn paint jobs on cars that aren't even half as old as mine, which is disappointing.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #495 on: November 29, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »
Wait, I thought my car was an un-collectable piece of 80's trash :rotf:

I'm considering sticking with the original color, but a repaint would have to be really, really good (probably between $1500-2000).  The pinstriping has got to go.  Nissan is still using the same paint color and I've seen so many faded, worn paint jobs on cars that aren't even half as old as mine, which is disappointing.

Ya KNOW I was jerking your chain.......  :-)

However, you have to admit that MOST vehicles from the 80s pretty much had "teh SUCK" going for them. Underpowered, poor craftsmanship (ESPECIALLY American cars), FUGLY designs, etc with very FEW exceptions

Offline Chris_

« Reply #496 on: November 29, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »
I'm thinking about some kind of engine swap, but I've heard horror stories about the early Z's getting twisted into pretzels by people who got overzealous with their engines.  You can't put a 400 hp LS1 in one of these cars without some kind of structural reinforcement.  I'm looking at a mid-90's Mustang V6 with a supercharger from a Thunderbird SC.  Or I can stick with the base LT1 at 275 HP, but those are harder to come by with a 5-speed, which is what I'm interested in.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #497 on: November 29, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
I'm thinking about some kind of engine swap, but I've heard horror stories about the early Z's getting twisted into pretzels by people getting overzealous with their engines.  You can't put a 400 hp LS1 in one of these cars without some kind of structural reinforcement.  I'm looking at a mid-90's Mustang V6 with a supercharger from a Thunderbird SC.  Or I can stick with the base LT1 at 275 HP, but those are harder to come by with a 5-speed, which is what I'm interested in.
Check out ls1tech.com in the classified sections for any LT1's. There may be some there. Good luck. :cheersmate:
(I'd pick that over the Ford's supercharged any day. Just personal opinion.)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #498 on: November 29, 2010, 07:52:31 PM »
I'm not sure I want to go more than 300 hp with this car with the t-tops and all.  I don't do drag racing, but getting passed by a Civic is embarrassing (did I mention how much this automatic SUCKS??).

And I want some pretty Ford valve covers under my hood just to piss people off. :-)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:55:41 PM by chris_ »

Offline true_blood

« Reply #499 on: November 29, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »
I'm not sure I want to go more than 300 hp with this car with the t-tops and all.  I don't do drag racing, but getting passed by a Civic is embarrassing (did I mention how much this automatic SUCKS??).
And I want some pretty Ford valve covers under my hood just to piss people off. :-)
:-) :naughty: Good luck. Let us know how you make out. :cheersmate: