Author Topic: The Grace Card  (Read 2741 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
The Grace Card
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
“The Grace Card” is a typical Hollywood cop flick — except that in this film, one police officer is also a black Christian minister who preaches on the weekends and his partner is an angry white man who resents God and people of color.

In other words, in addition to the gritty, uncomfortable, sometimes violent issues facing law enforcement officers, these characters bring a realistic, spiritual dimension to their story, including the powerful experiences of redemption and forgiveness.

But rather than earn widespread praise for offering a compelling portrait of the human experience, “The Grace Card” is merely labeled a “Christian” film. And of course, only Christians would want to see a Christian film, right?

Maybe not. On its opening weekend in limited release, the film grossed more than $1 million playing on only 352 screens, earning a higher per-theater return than the Nicholas Cage action/stinkbomb, “Drive Angry.”

As for the film’s Christian message, “Grace Card” star Michael Joiner asserts that all movies carry a specific message intended by the director or producer. “You’re getting preached to one way or the other,” he says. “It’s just that when Christians do it, they call it proselytizing. But Hollywood preaches all the time.”

Mr. Joiner believes there is bias in Hollywood — “a bias for making money.”

“You can make a movie with a good message as long as it’s profitable,” he says. “Christians have to realize that quality is vital.”

A Christian and well-known “clean” comedian, Mr. Joiner says he went to Hollywood to become an actor, not to become a “Christian” actor.

“I want to make quality films,” he says. “Even God wants no part of a bad movie.”

Mr. Joiner also struggles with those who insist that a religiously themed movie must be overtly doctrinaire. “There are people who think this film isn’t ‘Christian’ enough,” he says. For example, some religious viewers have criticized the film because it never mentions the name of Jesus. Mr. Joiner, ever the comedian, jokes, “I tell them, you know, that’s the same reason I won’t read the Old Testament.”

More important, Mr. Joiner says, is to make films that “plant seeds. You can’t appeal to the unchurched if you hit them over the head.” Better to make interesting, entertaining films that also infuse a thoughtful, inspiring message, he contends.

In a nation where more than 90 percent of citizens profess to believe in God and 83 percent say the God they believe in answers prayers, there ought to be a market for quality films with pro-religious messages. Yet where faith is concerned, if it’s ever depicted, it typically is portrayed as a journey away from God, and certainly away from organized religion.

Perhaps “The Grace Card” will prove there’s a role for God in movies after all.

He’s the good guy.

http://townhall.com/columnists/marybethhicks/2011/03/02/movie_too_real_for_hollywood/page/full/
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: The Grace Card
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
http://townhall.com/columnists/marybethhicks/2011/03/02/movie_too_real_for_hollywood/page/full/

As for the film’s Christian message, “Grace Card” star Michael Joiner asserts that all movies carry a specific message intended by the director or producer. “You’re getting preached to one way or the other,”

Wonderful so what do they believe the Texas Chain Saw movies mean to a 10 year old??

I agree we are all being preached to by movies and to say ALL movies carry a message is posibibly the truest thing I have heard yet.  What message are they preaching ???  Is it a good message or a very bad one.??

The BEST so far Christian movie I have yet to see was picketed by Christian groups that had not seen the film.  Near riots in big citys about this film that is now a classic.

Jesus Christ Super Star.    Darn we learned more about the times Jesus walked the earth then sitting in a drafty church listing to some old man drone on and on.

My kids today remember the song of Herod--and at times in jest quote the words,  proved to me you are devine change my water into wine.----Prove to me you are no fool, walk across my swiming pool.

Yup my kids are all now Christian and still love that movie.  We all got the message from that film and sound track that Jesus lived and died for us.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »
I'll probably get "Grace Card" when I can buy a DVD.  Our favorite Christian movies are the Sherwood ones, "Fireproof," "Facing the Giants" and "Flywheel."

I was very underimpressed with "Jesus Christ, Superstar." 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »
If anything, "Fireproof" proved with it's $33+ million run that there is a desire for good, clean Christian films.

"Courageous," the follow-up to "Fireproof," comes out in September.  The first trailer is online now.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:13:30 AM »
If anything, "Fireproof" proved with it's $33+ million run that there is a desire for good, clean Christian films.

"Courageous," the follow-up to "Fireproof," comes out in September.  The first trailer is online now.

I didn't think I'd like that movie but I gave it a chance and it turned out to be fairly good. A nice movie I could watch with anyone.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »
Blind Side

?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
can't wait to see this!! Memphis is my hometown.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle