Author Topic: Liberal education a failure  (Read 375 times)

Offline thundley4

Liberal education a failure
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »
lyonspotter (264 posts)           Wed Aug-12-09 11:46 AM
Original message
College Illiteracy
   Edited on Wed Aug-12-09 11:48 AM by lyonspotter
As an instructor of art for the past 7 years, I have had the disheartening experience of encountering illiteracy at the college level with a frequency that far exceeded my expectations. Having taught at the University of California, Santa Barbara; Fresno City College; Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, FL; and Bakersfield College, I decided to collect the hundreds of student essays written for my classes that were abandoned by their authors (the fact that these students did not find the retrieval of their work to be important was in many ways discouraging enough). I decided to archive these student essays as documentation of the growing illiteracy problem, for what I found in the contents therein mirrored and sometimes surpassed the following data:
http://livinnthebigtime.blogspot.com/2009/07/look-like-... 
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6284548

moggie   (1000+ posts)           Wed Aug-12-09 11:54 AM
Response to Original message
1. Good grief!

"According to Jenkins Group, 1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives, 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college, and 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year"

I can't imagine being without a book. I find it really hard to understand these people.

DUmmies love their boob tube.

lyonspotter (264 posts)           Wed Aug-12-09 12:00 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. Great point...

I'm personally not sure what is worse... the statistics you mentioned or the findings of the National Right to Read Foundation:

"42 million American adults cannot read at all, 50 million are unable to read at a higher level than is expected of a fourth or fifth grader, and 20 percent of high school seniors can be classified as being functionally illiterate at the time they graduate."

No Child Left Behind, eh?
Thank Fat Teddy for that one, but really the NCLB hasn't been around long enough to cause that much illiteracy. However, the liberals and teachers unions have been around long enough.

ddeclue   (1000+ posts)             Wed Aug-12-09 12:07 PM
Response to Original message
7. Is our childrens learning?

Nope, and it's all your fault.

That's it for the little campfire. It just pisses me off when liberals complain about the US education system, but refuse to admit where the real problem lies.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Liberal education a failure
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »
The liberal answer to any problem, "The Republicans wouldn't let us spend enough money on it, so it failed."
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Liberal education a failure
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »
I can't imagine being without a book.

Marvel Comics and Hustler. That summarizes DUmmy literature, unless
you want to get into novels about paranormal sex crimes. Of course,
there's vanity published drek paid for by DUmmy Raven, so the
Pittster would not feel like the waste of skin he is.