Author Topic: Aaaw.. Gates is mad at NATO  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Aaaw.. Gates is mad at NATO
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
 :censored:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2827340

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 07:37 PM
Original message
Aaaw.. Gates is mad at NATO 
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Wed Feb-06-08 07:41 PM by SoCalDem
It would seem that some European countries are reluctant to send their young soldiers to die in stupid wars we start..

He sent them requests for "specific units" and where he wants them sent.. and he "has not gotten any answers"

Apparently the rest of the world is telling us to clean up our own messes..

Article here http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hJQRzu5lFwaFKaISqBNzL4tuJ3aw
NATO shortfalls in Afghanistan put cloud over alliance: Gates

5 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — NATO allies' unwillingness to contribute forces to Afghanistan has put a cloud over the future of the alliance, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Wednesday. Gates told lawmakers he intends to be "a nag" on the issue when he meets in Vilnius with NATO defense ministers Thursday and at an international security conference in Munich over the weekend.

"I worry a great deal about the alliance evolving into a two-tiered alliance, in which you have some allies willing to fight and die to protect peoples' security, and others who are not," he said. "And I think that it puts a cloud over the future of the alliance, if this is to endure and perhaps even get worse," he said.

The struggle over providing troops and equipment for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan has bruised relations within the alliance. The Pentagon last month announced it was sending 3,200 marines to Afghanistan to fill gaps in troops and equipment in the force.

And Gates has sent letters to NATO defense ministers asking them provide replacement troops when the Marines seven month deployment ends. "In several cases I've made specific requests of specific kinds of units, and in some named units, and where they needed to go," he said. "I haven't gotten any responses yet. I'm sure I will in Vilnius. But we'll see."

snip

:banghead:

LakeSamish706  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-06-08 07:39 PM
Response to Original message
1. Good for the rest of the world, and thats how it should be as well...
 There are consequences to starting wars and this will be another hit to the American people. I have no idea why Gates thinks that other countries should clean up our mess anyway.

**** you Samish  :bird:

Actually the one country that should be helping us.......when remembering the past really isn't a member of NATO anymore......FRANCE :censored:

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 07:44 PM
Response to Reply #1
2. "Helping" is one thing, but why on earth would we even EXPECT 
 others to run to our assistance after they all warned us NOT to start the war.

The whole bait & switch aspect of it is not to be ignored either..

People were on our side when we went to Afghanistan and they joined in..but Bush then pulled out our guys and said "good luck, we're outta here..we got another war to start.."..basically dumping Afghanistan all on them..I don't blame them a bit for withdrawing their troops and telling us to go pound sand

Expecting a primitive to understand anything about the military is just futile

Wizard777 (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-06-08 07:52 PM
Response to Original message
3. Afghanistan is a legitimate war. We were attacked.
 Edited on Wed Feb-06-08 07:54 PM by Wizard777
But because of the moral bankruptcy of our Government. The people of the world no longer care. The next time Al Qaida attacks us. The world will not give us their sympathy and cooperation. They will cheer and do everything they can to frustrate a response.

:bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Aaaw.. Gates is mad at NATO
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »
You know, I noticed the low-calorie primitive was hanging around Skins's island all day today.

That's sort of unusual; usually the low-calorie primitive comes and goes.

I'll bet she had an argument with the husband today; she's at that age, the late 50s, when women do that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:26:53 PM »
NATO, always there when they need us.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:14:28 AM »
NATO, always there when they need us.

True.  However it is foolishly optimistic to actually count on them for anything in the first place, unless you can prove to them that their own nuts are going to be in the vise over it within a month.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:02:19 AM »
So I suppose that next time that Europe gets in over it's head in one of those gigantic wars break out every so often, the kind of war that ends in a roman numeral, it will be just okey dokey with the libs if America tells them to clean up their own mess and try to keep the noise down.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »
So I suppose that next time that Europe gets in over it's head in one of those gigantic wars break out every so often, the kind of war that ends in a roman numeral, it will be just okey dokey with the libs if America tells them to clean up their own mess and try to keep the noise down.

Perhaps someone should suggest to Gates that we transfer our troops from the "former Yugoslavia", into Afganistan, and .....well...."let Europe clean up their own mess....."

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.