Author Topic: Genealogy  (Read 15296 times)

Offline CG6468

Genealogy
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »
Anyone here into their family's genealogy?

I have 1796 individuals in our family tree, dating back to 1585.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline JLO

Re: Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:43:16 PM »
Anyone here into their family's genealogy?

I have 1796 individuals in our family tree, dating back to 1585.

Wow, very impressive!  I spent the past weekend with friends who are also researching their genealogies.  One gal has been doing research for decades and the other pal is just starting her family's.  We have all been good friends for more years than I wish to say.   :-)

The one just starting her search is a possible relative of mine!  We went to the church her GG-Grandfather started out in the WI-countryside  and we attended Sunday service.  I already knew a few of the members because my family also immigrated to a nearby valley.  That was fun.  The Sexton and his wife were very helpful and then we all went to lunch.  Hot roast beef sandwich, mashed potatoes and gravy.   :drool:

Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »
Yes.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
Same here. It can get interesting.
My first recorded goes back to 1514. The hard part is working through the changes in name spelling.
The family farm is still noted on maps in Norway.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »
My husbands family has done a lot of work on theirs, he has 3 soft cover books they published for family members. His family goes back to the Indian wars here in Florida. And he has in his ancestry 7 brothers that fought together in the Fla. militia during the civil war.

I have a cousin that has traced our ancestry back to the Mayflower. I was at her house over labor day she has a framed certificate to back it up and also one from the Daughters of the American Revolution.  I took pictures of them when I was there if I get a chance later I will post them. I don't have them on this computer.

It is very interesting finding out about your ancestors.
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »
My mother has been working on ours for years.  The last I knew, she was well over 2000+ names, and kicking around somewhere in the 15th century.

If you're related to the first wave of Mennonites that arrived over here in the 17th century, you're related to me.  If you're related to the Reformed Mennonites that emerged in the early 19th century, you're related to me.  If you're related to the second wave of Mennonites that arrived over here from the Alsace-Lorraine region in the mid-19th century, you're related to me.  :-)

Our family left the Mennonites because great grandfather liked the ladies too much. 

Then after his wife died, the housekeeper, but nobody seems to want to talk about that.  :-)

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:09:01 PM »
I usually try to combine camping trips with genealogy research when possible.    My father's paternal ancestors came with the Scots Irish @ 1718
and his maternal were English arriving in the early 1600's.

The immigrants who settled the Town of Londonderry, New Hampshire, were descendants of a colony migrating from Scotland to Northern Ireland (Ulster) about 1612. A large number of these Scotch-Irish settlers left their homes in Londonderry, Ireland, and arrived in Boston in 1718 to start a new life without religious wars and persecution.

My mothers maternal ancestry traces to the Huguenots who migrated to Scotland then Canada. Some of her paternal ancestors were already here to greet them. :fuelfire:   

I had my DNA done years ago by Family Tree when they were first starting to offer the service.  Amazing stuff.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:12:11 PM »

I had my DNA done years ago by Family Tree when they were first starting to offer the service.  Amazing stuff.

My mother and father are going to do the DNA thing soon.  What new information did you find out?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »
My mother and father are going to do the DNA thing soon.  What new information did you find out?

Basically the migration pattern of the male line.  When I had it done I had not been able to get very far on the male side (two generations).  After I had it done I ran into a very serendipitous find totally unrelated to DNA which took me back six generations in one fell swoop, amazing.  DNA migration analysis confirmed what I found.  I also had the maternal DNA done at the same time but have not spent as much time analyzing those results. 

I would point out that one has to be very careful of sources like Ancestry.com. People build off the unchecked work of other people who may or not have had reliable sources and documentation. 

Offline JLO

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:42:12 PM »

I would point out that one has to be very careful of sources like Ancestry.com. People build off the unchecked work of other people who may or not have had reliable sources and documentation. 

Very good information

So thanks for posting.
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:28:30 PM »
My Grandmother researched our ancestry back to before the Mayflower.  I am a member of the DAR and the Colonial Dames, and both Daughters of the Confederacy and Union, respectively.  By default.  I need to pay my dues.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »

Absolutely!  It's funny you should point out Ancestry, since that is the resource my mother says seems to have the most problems with that issue.  I do know she is very diligent in verifying her sources, so I'm not concerned with anything she has down on paper. 

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
My Grandmother researched our ancestry back to before the Mayflower.  I am a member of the DAR and the Colonial Dames, and both Daughters of the Confederacy and Union, respectively.  By default.  I need to pay my dues.   :-)
Yes you should,
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Undies

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:50 PM »
I found out I am actually a Yankee.  I got depressed and quit looking.

(I date back to 1642 when the first of my European relative stepped foot in the New World.)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
I really need to do more research. I think I will do the DNA test before I go any farther. I have heard good things about that method. I just want to make sure what I have been told all these years from family is true.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »
I really need to do more research. I think I will do the DNA test before I go any farther. I have heard good things about that method. I just want to make sure what I have been told all these years from family is true.

That is probably a good place to start.  One of my female cousins wanted to validate information she had been told as a child and I was the only one with a y chromosome.  After that I became a bit obsessed with finding out more information on the paternal line which had never really been done before.  Good luck.  Genealogy can be a great hobby or obsession.