Author Topic: I am so sick of clicking on a hometown newspaper and hitting a paywall. At some  (Read 522 times)

Offline CC27

Maraya1969 (21,867 posts)

I am so sick of clicking on a hometown newspaper and hitting a paywall. At some point
they are all going to paywalled. Do they think everyone is going to pay for their little site, (like every hometown newspaper)? I'd love if someone set up a site that lists all the pay sites and there were some extension that indicated them when you do a search. I don't mind the ads, (well I do but I realize everyone wants to make money) I hate the sites that are filled with them and you spend your time clicking off videos and looking at information that is on so far covered that you can only see 2 inches at a time.

And I realize that DU is a paysite but the times that my payment lapsed I don't remember things popping up all over. I just remember ads around the edges.

It just seems as if everyone is so damn greedy now. And I'm sure a lot of people cannot afford all these pay sites. I've been to charity sites, like charity navigator and they ask for donations and that is fine and I've donated.

Rant over.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100218456602

Another case of a DUmmie wanting something "free."

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
I'm so sick of going to a restaurant and hitting a paywall...
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline 67 Rover

Maraya1969 (21,867 posts)

I am so sick of clicking on a hometown newspaper and hitting a paywall. At some point
they are all going to paywalled. Do they think everyone is going to pay for their little site, (like every hometown newspaper)? I'd love if someone set up a site that lists all the pay sites and there were some extension that indicated them when you do a search. I don't mind the ads, (well I do but I realize everyone wants to make money) I hate the sites that are filled with them and you spend your time clicking off videos and looking at information that is on so far covered that you can only see 2 inches at a time.

And I realize that DU is a paysite but the times that my payment lapsed I don't remember things popping up all over. I just remember ads around the edges.

It just seems as if everyone is so damn greedy now. And I'm sure a lot of people cannot afford all these pay sites. I've been to charity sites, like charity navigator and they ask for donations and that is fine and I've donated.

Rant over.

In this economy!  The hell you say. ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
There's a trick with archive.org that frequently works to get around such paywalls, but we see a typical case of moonbats not understanding basic economics.  Local papers and their websites don't generate enough traffic to attract many advertisers, so they are reliant on subscriptions to keep creating their product, pay for their domain name, servers, ect.  All the stuff that goes into keeping any business going, which you wannabe commies have no clue about. 

I thought they were all about live local and support their local businesses anyway.  Right up until it takes their money out of their pocket I guess. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline jukin

Freeloading DUmbass DUchebag wants to freeload? Man bites dog story.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
no_hypocrisy (44,214 posts)

5. Or paying for water?

Water is free. Go to your local reservoir and drink your fill. Good luck. 

Conjuay (976 posts)

16. Or

Pay to fill your tires

Also free. Pucker your lips, insert the stem and blow. Also good luck.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Old n Grumpy

I have suggested (to scorn from other DUers) that we as individuals each buy a subscription to WaPo and the NYT--maybe ten of us or more--and share a pw, so that those of us who don't like to read a newspaper online aren't saddled with a year's subscription we don't really use. In my case, it truly isn't spending the money; it's wasting the money for a subscription just for myself.

This guy is a real tool, subscribing to either of those rags is a waste of money except they make a good liner for the bottom of your bird cage  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Lots of  :thumbs: :II: :clap: :hi5: for all who've posted.

Yes, it is more cumbersome to have to pay extra for news you used to pay 25 cents for a printed newspaper. At the local inconvenience store, my local major paper charges $2 a day and the gall to charge $4 for the Sunday birdcage liner. And there is nothing even in there, 95% relates to news you likely already knew but regurgitated in a libturd-friendly format.

I definitely miss reading the print copy in the morning and then again throughout the day.

For Maraya1969 of the 21,867 posts at the DUmp, get a job and then you can afford to pay for subscription sites that you want to follow. In other words, grow the f*ck up!
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Sounds like he/she hasn't mastered the art of searching for stuff.

The obvious 1st-rule is avoid being deeply committed to digital rubber-necking.