Author Topic: Question: are you willing to listen to opinions you disagree with?  (Read 880 times)

Offline CC27

brooklynite

"Polls are fake."

"Corporate Media is biasing reporting to help Trump."

"Political experts like Axelrod and Carville have an agenda."

"MSNBC hosts are bringing on Republicans to interview."

In the past week or so, there have been a plethora of complaints about news or opinions that go counter to a "pro-Democratic" perspective and criticism of people (myself included) who choose to share them.

One of the facets of the MAGA fans on the right is that they choose to hide themselves in a bubble of "news" and opinion that only reinforces their existing biases. My question is: are people here effectively doing the same thing?

I go out of my way to listen to perspectives that aren't pro-Democratic, because I want as much information as possible to make rational decision about how to best use my resources to get Democrats elected, and tp better understand what our opponents are thinking and doing.

Question to the people here: are you willing to listen to points of view you don't like to hear?

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100218431134

You should know better by now... Your fellow DUmmies are full of hate

Offline jukin

Re: Question: are you willing to listen to opinions you disagree with?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 12:05:05 PM »
Question to the people here: are you willing to listen to points of view you don't like to hear?

That there is some out of this world funny shit.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 12:15:39 PM »
One of the facets of the MAGA fans on the right is that they choose to hide themselves in a bubble of "news" and opinion that only reinforces their existing biases.

Fact check: False.

People on the tight do not insulate themselves from opposing views. In fact, we lack the capacity to do so. Left-wing views predominate in large media outlets, entertainment, and academia. There is no equivalent to this on the right.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 12:27:45 PM »
They listen to lots of opinions as long as they are approved by the mirt team  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :loser: :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Online CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 12:32:04 PM »
Does brooklynite realize that the crowd it's preaching to are Rick madcow fan-things?
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 06:28:54 PM »
My opinion? Brooklynite is a Jew and finally seeing exactly how leftists are. They're cultists. Still believing the lie that Pseudostinians are the original inhabitants of Israel, even though the Al Aqsa Mosque is built on top of the Jewish Temple Mount. They're clueless to the fact that "Palestinian" was a term first invented by Yassir Arafat, an Egyptian and they have no clue that "Palestine" was created as a slight to the Jewish people by the Romans who changed the name of Judea to Syria Palestina.

Deal with it, Brooklynite. Leftists are your people. Jews are safer among right-leaning individuals. I'm in the south. The Red by God south. The Trump south. I see "Pray for Israel" and Jewish flags everywhere.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 07:16:21 PM »
If DUmmyville wanted to listen to opinions they disagree with, they wouldn't automatically ban conservatives.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Online DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 07:28:27 PM »
If DUmmyville wanted to listen to opinions they disagree with, they wouldn't automatically ban conservatives.

Or anybody else who doesn't march in metronome-grade lock step with the DNC's "truth" du jour. Bernie-bots, the Jill Stein Greenies, the whole slew of also rans who lost out when PedoJoe was coronated...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 07:11:16 AM »

My viewpoint, too. Asking if the primitives listen to others is an exercise in futility. Even brooklynite admits he only listens so as to form a counter argument for the purpose of getting Dem candidates elected. That’s not listening, that’s just hearing another’s opinion. Listening is much more involved.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 07:21:30 AM »
Their mouths are open but their eyes and ears are closed. :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 07:40:12 AM »
My viewpoint, too. Asking if the primitives listen to others is an exercise in futility. Even brooklynite admits he only listens so as to form a counter argument for the purpose of getting Dem candidates elected. That’s not listening, that’s just hearing another’s opinion. Listening is much more involved.

A liberal reads Marx and applauds his ideas on where they will take us.

A conservative reads Marx and hates him because we UNDERSTAND where his ideas will take us.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.