Author Topic: Deal reached on tax rebates for stimulus  (Read 12402 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Deal reached on tax rebates for stimulus
« on: January 24, 2008, 09:36:39 AM »
maddezmom   (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 10:16 AM
Original message
Deal reached on tax rebates for stimulus
 Source: AP

Deal reached on tax rebates for stimulus 5 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Democrats running Congress and the Bush administration reached a tentative deal Thursday on $300-$1,200 tax rebates and business tax cuts to jolt the slumping economy.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi agreed to drop increases in food stamp and unemployment benefits during the Wednesday meeting in exchange for gaining rebates of at least $300 for almost everyone earning a paycheck, including low-income earners who make too little to pay income taxes.

Families with children would receive an additional $300 per child, subject to an overall cap of perhaps $1,200, according to a senior House aide who outlined the deal on condition of anonymity in advance of formal adoption of the whole package. Rebates would go to people earning below a certain income cap, likely individuals earning $75,000 or less and couples with incomes of $150,000 or less.

The emerging package was already drawing fire from liberal activists and labor unions upset that proposals to extend unemployment insurance and boost food stamps had been dropped. They said those ideas could pump money into the economy more quickly than tax rebate checks that won't be delivered until June.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080124/ap_on_go_co/economy...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3154391

I thought this was priceless....

liberal N proud  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 10:23 AM
Response to Original message
3. Who is making out on this?
You know it isn't going to be you and me.
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

I thought we conservatives were the selfish ones?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Deal reached on tax rebates for stimulus
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:42:50 AM »
Actually, it isn't going to be a LOT of people, like anyone making over $75K a year.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »
AllyCat  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-24-08 10:34 AM
7. Looking out for the little people, eh Nancy?
 Edited on Thu Jan-24-08 10:40 AM by AllyCat
----snip---

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi agreed to drop increases in food stamp and unemployment benefits during the Wednesday meeting in exchange for gaining rebates of at least $300 for almost everyone earning a paycheck, including low-income earners who make too little to pay income taxes.

---snip---

You have to be earning a paycheck in order to get anything. That should really help out the people who need it most.  Of course, NONE of this brings jobs back to the US which would actually help us instead of put a bandaid on a hemorrhage.

No wonder Congress is such a waste. 

I wonder why it is, that the line about having to earn a paycheck bothers them so much? :badmood:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:50:55 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

You have to be earning a paycheck in order to get anything. That should really help out the people who need it most.  Of course, NONE of this brings jobs back to the US which would actually help us instead of put a bandaid on a hemorrhage.

I wonder why it is, that the line about having to earn a paycheck bothers them so much? :badmood:

Because that means that they would actually have to work to get a tax rebate  :whatever:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 11:17:43 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

...because no one can get a job in this **** economy.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

That's because not alot of employers are seaching in Mom's basement.  They usually like for potential employees to come to them. :bawl:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 11:25:28 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

That's because not alot of employers are seaching in Mom's basement.  They usually like for potential employees to come to them. :bawl:
That would require effort, and that's, well, almost like work.   :uhsure:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

Actually there is some truth to that the job market really sucks right now.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »

Because that means that they would actually have to work to get a tax rebate  :whatever:

Exactly, but I wonder why Pelosi was so quick to throw the food stamps folks overboard?

doc

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:28:38 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

The problem isn't that there are no jobs, the problem is that people are to proud (or sorry) to do the jobs that are out there.  I see people hiring in the paper all the time.  

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

The problem isn't that there are no jobs, the problem is that people are to proud (or sorry) to do the jobs that are out there.  I see people hiring in the paper all the time.  
Yeah, but if people took all those jobs, what would the illegal immigrants do?   :pokingpoop:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

Yeah, but if people took all those jobs, what would the illegal immigrants do?   :pokingpoop:

Starve, for all I care.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:35:50 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

Then how come the McDonald's up on the highway still can't fill their open positions @ $9.50/hour?  They've been struggling for three years to cover their store.  You'd think there would be a line down the service road.  

The Wal-Mart (HUGE) distribution center near Terrell, Tx. can't get enough people either.  They start at $12.50.  

Those maybe sucky jobs, but if times were as hard as the democrats and the media want us to believe, those jobs would not be available.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

The problem isn't that there are no jobs, the problem is that people are to proud (or sorry) to do the jobs that are out there.  I see people hiring in the paper all the time. 

Says someone who is employed. Funny I used to think that too but as soon as I became unemployed I found the harsh reality. The economy sucks big time right now when the temp agencies don't have a single opening in the ATlanta area things are bad. Just hope that you never find yourself unemployed over something you have control over and can't find a job.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »
Democratic leaders said that to speed the economic rescue package they would mostly bypass the usual committee process. Lawmakers said that they hoped the plan could be approved by mid-February and that it would be sufficient to soften an economic downturn and forestall a recession.

IDIOTS!!!  :banghead:

“Giving temporary tax rebate checks to families, as important as that is, is not the same as economic growth,” said Representative Jeb Hensarling of Texas, chairman of the Republican Study Committee. “If you’re going to have an economic stimulus package, it ought to contain some economic stimulus.”
Some sanity...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/24/washington/24cnd-econ.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ei=5088&en=147d667c3caf3d0a&ex=1358917200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1201195919-sqOsAxWw7PYrcb%20SRO9R7w

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 11:39:45 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

Then how come the McDonald's up on the highway still can't fill their open positions @ $9.50/hour?  They've been struggling for three years to cover their store.  You'd think there would be a line down the service road. 

The Wal-Mart (HUGE) distribution center near Terrell, Tx. can't get enough people either.  They start at $12.50. 

Those maybe sucky jobs, but if times were as hard as the democrats and the media want us to believe, those jobs would not be available.

Maybe in your area Undies here there is a waiting list to get in to the wal mart distribution center. Fast food in this area wont touch me because I am overqualified as one of the managers told me. Other food service all requires experience in food service.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 11:39:59 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

The problem isn't that there are no jobs, the problem is that people are to proud (or sorry) to do the jobs that are out there.  I see people hiring in the paper all the time. 

Says someone who is employed. Funny I used to think that too but as soon as I became unemployed I found the harsh reality. The economy sucks big time right now when the temp agencies don't have a single opening in the ATlanta area things are bad. Just hope that you never find yourself unemployed over something you have control over and can't find a job.

I did lose my job a few months ago, but found another in a week.  Of course, I have my insurance license.  Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and take what you can get to get you by until something else comes along.  I have worked at Dairy Queen as a grown ass man.  That was humiliating, but it got me by.  

Good luck with the job seach, and keep ya head up.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
It took me three monts to find steady work.  I did a few weeks of work in that time, but the majority of work in the IT sector in my area are for mid- or senior-level support.  It's sad, but unemplyment pays almost as much as some of the jobs out there. 

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »

Starve, for all I care.

:pisscontest: illegals

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

I did lose my job a few months ago, but found another in a week.  Of course, I have my insurance license.  Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and take what you can get to get you by until something else comes along.  I have worked at Dairy Queen as a grown ass man.  That was humiliating, but it got me by. 

Well at least you didnt tell me to move where the jobs are like some other folks said.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
^LOL!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

I did lose my job a few months ago, but found another in a week.  Of course, I have my insurance license.  Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and take what you can get to get you by until something else comes along.  I have worked at Dairy Queen as a grown ass man.  That was humiliating, but it got me by. 

Well at least you didnt tell me to move where the jobs are like some other folks said.

You are a grown man.  You do what you want to.  It's not my place to tell other people what to do.  I just tell what I'd do, I don't know your situation.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

Then how come the McDonald's up on the highway still can't fill their open positions @ $9.50/hour?  They've been struggling for three years to cover their store.  You'd think there would be a line down the service road. 

The Wal-Mart (HUGE) distribution center near Terrell, Tx. can't get enough people either.  They start at $12.50. 

Maybe in your area Undies here there is a waiting list to get in to the wal mart distribution center. Fast food in this area wont touch me because I am overqualified as one of the managers told me. Other food service all requires experience in food service.

Well, you need to move to where the jobs are.  :old:

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

Well, you need to move to where the jobs are.  :old:

Oh yeah because the 3 to 4 grand needed to move grows on trees you just have to know which orchard to pick it from.  :whatever:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 11:56:08 AM »
----snip---

---snip---

Well, you need to move to where the jobs are.  :old:

Oh yeah because the 3 to 4 grand needed to move grows on trees you just have to know which orchard to pick it from.  :whatever:

Crawl down from the pyre, Joan.  It was just a parody because of what you said earlier in the thread.