Author Topic: This is what the Obama 'movement' is all about...  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
This is what the Obama 'movement' is all about...
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:49:31 PM »
elizm  (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-13-08 10:05 PM
Original message
This is what the Obama 'movement' is all about...

I recieved this email from someone on the listserv at Charleston for Obama...and with his permission I am posting it here. I have attended 7 Obama rallies here in SC and this email captured the feeling I have had at each and every rally. It is something beautiful and something BIG....Pass it on. :)

THE BAM"... PASS IT ON AT THE NEXT OBAMA RALLY!

Having caught "Obama fever" like so many others rallying in support of Barack, I experienced something at a Barack Obama Rally on Thursday, January 10 at the College of Charleston here in Charleston, South Carolina, which I felt was both inspirational and spontaneous!

As Barack worked the line following the close of his speech, there was a surge of people moving forward hoping to get close enough to shake Barack's hand. Since I was standing about 20 feet back from center stage in the crowd, I felt the crowd down front tighten as many of us stood on our toes, stretched our bodies forward while reaching out to Barack. I noticed that a six foot tall guy who was standing in front of me had stretched far enough above the crowd and shook hands with Barack. As the guy drew back his hand I asked him, "You shook his hand didn't you?" Happily the guy said "Yes." I then said, "give me some of that" and the guy shook my hand with the same hand he had just clasped with Barack's. A woman friend of mine who was standing next to me saw me shake hands with the guy. I turned to her and said "He just shook hands with Barack," to which she responded..."Hey, give it up." We then shook hands. She then turned to the person next to her and shook hands. This chain of hand shakes went on for about five or six more persons.

I did not know the tall guy in front of me; he is white, I am black. But at the moment we shook hands, I felt some solidarity with this stranger, consummated by a handshake and signifying some unspoken agreement presumably about Barack Obama and his core message of UNITY!

I call this hand-shake scenario the "BAM" because, descriptively, it takes a bit of Obama's name and it's the sound of a collision, of People Coming Together!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x4057783

no, this is what looking silly as shit is all about.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:   but I think there is fundamentally troubling about not being able to tell a political candidate and potential national leader from a rock star, or a sports star. 

and I was just a few blocks away from that rally.  It was completely by accident.  I was just going to lunch and was clueless that there was a Barack concert in town that day.   the strongest impression that it made on me that afternoon was that traffic totally sucked.

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: This is what the Obama 'movement' is all about...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »
BeatleBoot  (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-13-08 10:08 PM
Response to Original message
2. Time to Reflect....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3177684.ece

<snip>

The unorthodox pastor of Trinity church is the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, who is refusing all interviews. He married Barack and Michelle Obama and baptised their two daughters. He is already attracting attention on right-wing websites for describing the September 11 attacks as a “wake-up call” to America for ignoring the concerns of “people of colour”, and for claiming that Americans “believe in white supremacy and black inferiority . . . more than we believe in God”.

Wright travelled to meet Muammar Gadaffi, the Libyan leader, in the 1980s with Louis Farrakhan, the black supremacist leader of the Nation of Islam, and subscribes to the “Black Values System”, which preaches self-reliance but claims “middle-classness” is ensnaring blacks.

“When enemies find out that in 1984 I went to Tripoli to visit Colonel Gadaffi with Farrakhan, a lot of his Jewish support will dry up quicker than a snowball in hell,” Wright once said.

The other potential threat to Obama comes from the indictment of one of his leading donors, Antoin “Tony” Rezko, a Syrian-born property developer in Chicago, who is accused of extortion.

Rezko has been indicted by Patrick Fitzgerald - the prosecutor who brought down the White House official Lewis “Scooter” Libby and the press magnate Conrad Black - for seeking millions of dollars in kickbacks from companies bidding for state business in Illinois. He is due to appear in court on February 24.

On the day the Obamas bought a new home in Chicago for $1.6m in 2005, Rezko’s wife purchased an adjoining piece of land, giving the senator’s family more privacy and a larger expanse of green than they had paid for. Obama later paid $104,000 for a strip of the land, even though it was known that Rezko was under investigation.

Obama has admitted that the deal was “bone-headed” and has given $37,000 of political donations by Rezko to charity.

<more at link above>

whoa!  This thread has taken a turn for the unexpected.  Is the Junior Senator from Pristine about to be overtaken byscandal?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:02:29 PM »
Bluebear  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-14-08 11:41 PM
Response to Reply #103
105. I am cyber-touching you right now.

I am thinking of holding Obama's hand, or at the very least someone who once touched him, and trying to pass the BAM onto you virtually. This is a MOVEMENT!

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
well, one can only hope Obama is looked at closely. just cause he gave a good speech a couple of years ago.. that doesnt mean he's good enough to lead the Free World.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »
bluebear you are a real moron...

'i'm cyber touching you' ....? good grief.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:35 PM »
well, one can only hope Obama is looked at closely. just cause he gave a good speech a couple of years ago.. that doesnt mean he's good enough to lead the Free World.

it doesn't? :o

:-)

I brought this thread over because the thought of all those people passing along the "obama" to each other just struck me as hilarious, but it is turning into a pretty vicious thread now that someone tossed a scandal grenade into it. :evillaugh:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 11:09:36 PM »

:rofl:

that was posted at the end of the thread.  it makes a bit more sense in context, but I was laughing too hard to cut and paste any more than I did. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:14:22 PM »
Apollo11 (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-14-08 11:59 AM
92. Obama is an inspiring speaker but he is not the messiah.

Barack Obama can be inspiring when he is delivering a pre-prepared speech. But he is not always the best performer in debates or one-on-one interviews.

Personally I think the true test of intelligence, at least when I am looking at politicians, is your ability to deal with unexpected questions and provide clear and cogent answers based on your knowledge and understanding of the facts and your experience.

I like Obama a lot and he seems to have a way of connecting with ordinary folks who don't usually get excited about politicians, including some people who are not registered Democrats.

But I am also looking for substance on the issues, and someone who fully understands the challenges we are facing in the 21st Century, especially after 7-8 years of Bush-Cheney.

I like Edwards positions on the issues, and his determination to defend the interests of American workers and their families over the interests of multi-national corporations.

I also think Hillary is incredibly smart and probably the best communicator, based on her performances at the ABC TV debate in New Hampshire, and on yesterday's Meet The Press. I like it that she describes herself as a "workhorse" in the Senate. I also understand her explanation for why she voted to authorize the use of military force against Iraq (her position matches that of Tony Blair in 2002, Chuck Hagel in 2002, John Edwards in 2002 thru 2005, Obama in 2004).

During the past 12 months I have been a cheerleader here on DU for an Al Gore candidacy, or a Wes Clark candidacy, or more recently dreaming of a BIDEN-OBAMA ticket in 2008.

Right now I am watching the race closely and will probably remain neutral thru the end of January.

damn blasphemer. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:44:59 AM »
LatinManNH  (59 posts) Mon Jan-14-08 10:10 AM
Response to Reply #57
81. HOPE!---APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!

Side effects may include dizziness and a loss of perception.

okay, this was actually funny . . . .

Egnever (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-14-08 12:10 AM
61. WEEE thats a little over the top for me.

WE thinks so, too. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
comradebillyboy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-14-08 12:12 AM
Response to Reply #38
62. he hasn't awakened anything in me except

annoyance at his sanctimony and arrogance. Just another pol, better than some worse than others.

I haven't hung out at DU in a while, but I am surprised that the BarackStar is catching as much heat as he is.  I guess he has had his 15 minutes of aDUlation. :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 10:41:20 AM »
I think the "movement" they are talking about involves toliet paper.

I was wondering when Obama's shady land deal would come up...
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »

*rimshot*
:evillaugh: :rotf:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 10:52:49 AM »

is that like a cyber-hug?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »

You think the Clinton MachineTM would let that go?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »

[snip]

an "obama movement"? :rofl:

and the fact that his initials are BO certainly aren't helping matters. :-)