Author Topic: cali primitive gives bad news to the primitives; asks them why it is  (Read 709 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5659400

This is brand new, no primitives have seen it yet.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Fri May-15-09 07:17 AM
Original message

More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time

Also, fewer think abortion should be legal “under any circumstances”by Lydia Saad

PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Poll, conducted May 7-10, finds 51% of Americans calling themselves "pro-life" on the issue of abortion and 42% "pro-choice." This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as pro-life since Gallup began asking this question in 1995.

The new results, obtained from Gallup's annual Values and Beliefs survey, represent a significant shift from a year ago, when 50% were pro-choice and 44% pro-life. Prior to now, the highest percentage identifying as pro-life was 46%, in both August 2001 and May 2002.

The May 2009 survey documents comparable changes in public views about the legality of abortion. In answer to a question providing three options for the extent to which abortion should be legal, about as many Americans now say the procedure should be illegal in all circumstances (23%) as say it should be legal under any circumstances (22%). This contrasts with the last four years, when Gallup found a strong tilt of public attitudes in favor of unrestricted abortion.

<snip>

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118399/More-Americans-Pro-Li...

I expect that at least some who post in this thread will repudiate the findings in this poll. I see no reason to take that position, so my question is, assuming this poll accurately reflects positions of Americans on abortion, why is this changing?

Anybody want to bet the primitives have no answer?

I'm going to check out this bonfire later, too.

I'll bet it's all primitives angrily denying the poll is accurate, and no answers to the cali primitive's question.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
Skinner ADMIN

16. I suspect you are right. 

I get the feeling many people call themselves "Pro-Life" because they are personally opposed to (or uncomfortable with) abortion, but they still believe it should be legal.

I keep wondering when somebody is going to start asking this poll question:

Which best describes your position on abortion? (Choose one)

* Pro-Choice.
* Pro-Life.
* Pro-Life, but I believe abortion should be legal.

Whenever I make the suggestion, my fellow abortion supporters scoff -- After all, "pro-choice" means you believe abortion should be legal. But I suspect there could be a good 20% or more of Americans who consider themselves to be in the third category.

Nice to see Skin's at least admit he's pro-abortion, even in a round-about way.

If someone is an "abortion supporter," then they're pro-abortion.  They can try and dress it up all they want, but saying you "support" something and saying you're for it (pro-) is the same thing.

Now maybe they'll actually let the other foot hit the floor and own up to who and what they are; pro-abortion.

Nah, won't happen.  They don't have the backbone to be honest, even with themselves.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline RobJohnson

We all know DUmmies are very well qualified to decide what babies live or die.

Hey DUmmies, SUCK IT.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
My friend recently had a difficult pregnancy.  She was pregnant with twins, but not too far into the pregnancy, the Doctor's found that one of the twins had anencephaly, which means that the brain did not finish developing, and that it would be impossible for her to live very long outside of the womb.  Several doctors suggested terminating the pregnancy, and aborting both babies.  When I mentioned to people that I wasn't going to be at work because I was going to her funeral, other people had the response, wondering why the doctors didn't "do something" about it earlier. People were content once I explained that she was a twin, but I was actually amazed at how many people thought that abortion should be the first response when parents know that their child won't live long past birth. 

We had the funeral for Grace Anastasia yesterday.  She lived for 8 and a half hours, which is twice the average, and her sister is an absolutely beautiful baby.  Her father gave a beautiful speech at the funeral, and he said that they knew that Grace would be with them for exactly as long as God wanted her to be, and then He would take her to be with him in heaven. 

Offline Lord Undies

My friend recently had a difficult pregnancy.  She was pregnant with twins, but not too far into the pregnancy, the Doctor's found that one of the twins had anencephaly, which means that the brain did not finish developing, and that it would be impossible for her to live very long outside of the womb.  Several doctors suggested terminating the pregnancy, and aborting both babies.  When I mentioned to people that I wasn't going to be at work because I was going to her funeral, other people had the response, wondering why the doctors didn't "do something" about it earlier. People were content once I explained that she was a twin, but I was actually amazed at how many people thought that abortion should be the first response when parents know that their child won't live long past birth. 

We had the funeral for Grace Anastasia yesterday.  She lived for 8 and a half hours, which is twice the average, and her sister is an absolutely beautiful baby.  Her father gave a beautiful speech at the funeral, and he said that they knew that Grace would be with them for exactly as long as God wanted her to be, and then He would take her to be with him in heaven. 

Magnificent, graceful, and life affirming. 

Offline djones520

Maybe some mothers would rather not live with the pain of what everyone knew was a lost cause.  Pregnancy is hard enough.  Having to go through it knowing that your baby will die within hours of birth...  thats a lot of stress that can't be healthy for either her, or the other baby that was going to make it.  I'm not saying she made the wrong choice, in fact I applaud her for the bravery of what she did, but we can't expect other mothers to be forced to make the same choice.

Despite what some may say, that "3rd" option is viable, and I'm one of the people who believe like that.  I don't support it, but I also know that there are always mitigating circumstances.  I agree that abortion is overused, and shouldn't be considered a form of birth control like some do, but there are times when it should be an option, no matter how sad it may be.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline jtyangel

My estranged other half's niece did the same thing. Her first baby was a baby with anecephely and she carried her until delivery(maybe 6 months in--dont remember now how far she made it). Baby was alive for a couple of hours as well and they named her and buried her. Many people also questioned her judgment. I think she made the right choice and now she's the mother of 4--1 stepdaughter and 3 of her own birth children since then. The father of the children was the same one who fathered the child with anecephely and the same one who is the father of her stepdaughter. They've been blessed despite the sadness they met earlier on.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
What we're seeing is the end to absolutism of the anti-lifers (not to be confused with the misguided but sincere pro-choicer).

You'd be hard-pressed to find a pro-lifer that would deny abortion for instances such as an ectopic pregnancy but anti-lifers will countenance gender-based abortions (so much for womyn's equality, at least prenatally speaking) or use it to suppress evidence of statutory rape or abrogate parental rights. The genuine, but misguided, pro-choicer is uncomfortable with these realities but heretofore they have not been required to examine the veriable because they were fighting for abortion first and foremost without consideration of the consequences. Well, now the dog has caught the car and it's proving to be a regrettable act.

BTW - I despise this BS argument of: If you disapprove of abortion, don't have one.

It's akin to saying: If you disapprove of slavery, don't own a slave.

Rose: people like you and your friends are why the poll numbers are shifting in favor of life.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Maybe some mothers would rather not live with the pain of what everyone knew was a lost cause.  Pregnancy is hard enough.  Having to go through it knowing that your baby will die within hours of birth...  thats a lot of stress that can't be healthy for either her, or the other baby that was going to make it.  I'm not saying she made the wrong choice, in fact I applaud her for the bravery of what she did, but we can't expect other mothers to be forced to make the same choice.

Despite what some may say, that "3rd" option is viable, and I'm one of the people who believe like that.  I don't support it, but I also know that there are always mitigating circumstances.  I agree that abortion is overused, and shouldn't be considered a form of birth control like some do, but there are times when it should be an option, no matter how sad it may be.

Well doctors can and have been wrong. Personally I think everyone should be given a chance, regardless of how slight that chance is. In this case that baby (and it IS a baby) lived twice as long as thought. Also, twins have a unique relationship and "getting rid of" one (kinda like throwing out stinky garbage I guess) might put stress on the other twin that we cannot comprehend. Not to mention the stress to the fetus you've benevolently granted life to during the procedure.

It's bad enough when stupid people think it's just a blob of tissue with no emotional attachment, but when someone who has a bond to the child decides to off it, I'm sorry but I just don't understand that mentality. At what point do we draw the line? Should the amount of stress a woman is under be the determining factor? What about a woman whose husband dies in her last trimester? That's pretty stressful. Since stress is a factor in your decision to abort this less than perfect twin would stress also be an okay excuse for woman facing the extreme stress of dealing with the loss of her husband? Hey, it would spare her the trauma of possibly going into early labor. Life is stressful. Women can take it. We're not wilting violets.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole

What a great inspirational story. We had a miscarriage 15 years ago and I feel the same. One day..............
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.