Author Topic: Staffing Shortage Hinders Treasury's Progress  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Staffing Shortage Hinders Treasury's Progress
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:55:18 PM »
well, this is completely insane.  it's the great depression, and Obama's treasury sec'y hasn't even filled his staff slots yet?  and even if some nominations are tied up in the senate, that is under control of the dems as well.

maybe if the obama administration actually focussed on the economy, instead of attempting to implement every pet liberal program that has been hatched in the past 30 years, some of this mundane stuff would get taken care of.

Staffing Shortage Hinders Treasury's Progress

A shortage of staff at the Treasury Department is taking a toll on its ability to deal with a financial crisis that continues to deepen in scope and complexity, government and industry officials said.

Every key position within the Treasury, with the exception of Secretary Timothy F. Geithner, remains vacant or awaits confirmation.

The latest worry in the department concerns Lee Sachs, who was in line to be undersecretary for domestic finance or take a job of similar prominence at the Treasury requiring confirmation by the Senate. Sachs is now contemplating withdrawing from consideration, two sources familiar with the matter said. The reasons remain unclear. Sachs did not respond to requests for comment.

Sachs, who served in the Clinton administration as assistant Treasury secretary for financial markets, is now one of the core members of Geithner's team. Shortly after the presidential election, Sachs emerged as the transition team's key contact at the Treasury and has since been a counselor to Geithner, a position he could retain without Senate confirmation.

But some additional help for the Treasury is on the way. Lael Brainard, deputy national economic adviser under Clinton and who was set to take a post at the State Department, instead is expected to be nominated as undersecretary of the Treasury for international affairs, administration sources said yesterday.

Caroline Atkinson, a former World Bank official, had been the leading candidate for the Treasury job but withdrew from consideration recently.

More

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: Staffing Shortage Hinders Treasury's Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:12:09 AM »
I'm not so sure he could get the staff even if he tried, no one wants to have this disaster on their resume.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 04:10:59 AM »
I'm not so sure he could get the staff even if he tried, no one wants to have this disaster on their resume.

besides, they have to vet everyone... wouldn't want any tax cheats working at treasury.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:42:38 AM »

Exactly.  It's hard to sucker rats onto that hulk...especially given the level of scrutiny all their past tax filings are going to get, and with Barack Ahab at the helm and Tim VanderVecken* as sailing master.

*Captain Vandervecken -> of The Flying Dutchman fame.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:39:55 PM »
besides, they have to vet everyone... wouldn't want any more tax cheats than they can get away with working at treasury.

Fixt.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
they have hired so many tax cheats thus far, maybe they are having a hard time finding any more.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »
they have hired so many tax cheats thus far, maybe they are having a hard time finding any more.

Shouldn't they have the master list?  I mean, they DO audit people every year.  Or are those only for people who make political statements against Democrats?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:48:20 PM »
Shouldn't they have the master list?  I mean, they DO audit people every year.  Or are those only for people who make political statements against Democrats?

I think most of the tax cheats were undiscovered until the applied for high office in the obamagastic administration.  but that means that maybe there really is money to be found in "tightening enforcement" of the tax laws;  that is dem campaign boilerplate, but as long as they concentrate on dems, maybe there really is money there.

:-)