Author Topic: dehumidifiers  (Read 2643 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
dehumidifiers
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:00:47 PM »
The demise of the antique hot-water vaporizer came just in time, as we here in the Sandhills of Nebraska move from dry air to sordidly wet air.

I've never thought about it, but as the vaporizer seemed to do the cats some good, I'm wondering if a dehumidifier might do them some good in opposite circumstances.

Are these things any good?

This is a big house with lots and lots of room, and rooms; I imagine one can't reasonably expect a dehumidifier to unwet the whole house.

Any experiences with dehumidifiers, anyone?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:03:08 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: dehumidifiers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
Not as such, but most airconditioners will drop at least some of the humidity out of the air that passes through them.

Here I turn the dehumidify option on for the main AC , and can run it quite a few degrees warmer and still have it nice and cool indoors.

Humidity in the summer is a real killer with 70-90% being a fairly common range for a day.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »
Frank, up nort, you need a humidifier in the winter and a dehumidifier in the summer.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:50:23 AM »
Frank, up north, you need a humidifier in the winter and a dehumidifier in the summer.

Well, I got along fine without either for nearly all my life.

However, while I was using that antique hot-water vaporizer during the Deep Freeze, I noticed the cats tended to voluntarily gravitate towards that room, and that there seemed to be less scratching and fur shedding.

This had been of some concern to me, because remember, it got so unnaturally cold for such an unnaturally long time, and I was keep the cats indoors nearly all the time.

As for air-conditioners, this place has no air-conditioning.  It can if one wishes, but the house is, really, rather large and leaks like a sieve excepting in winter, when all this temporarily "winterizing" stuff is up.

Since it's about 60% windows, during the summer, I simply open all the windows on all four sides, and position four floor fans to shove the air around.  It's not nearly as good as air-conditioning, but obviously I survive.

I'm wondering if a dehumidifier would be of any good in such a setting, although it appears to me it would be good in only one room, perhaps.  But if it wouldn't do any good for the cats, forget it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:06:22 PM »
With NO A/C & the windows open, running a dehumidifier would be comparable to trying to put out a housefire with your God-given "hose".....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 05:11:07 PM »
With NO A/C & the windows open, running a dehumidifier would be comparable to trying to put out a housefire with your God-given "hose".....

I thought it might, especially given that the windows are very large and on all four sides, and they're all open (with good screens, of course), and there's usually four floor fans running in the summer.

But I wanted to be sure.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »

+1 

In other circumstances they are nice, albeit can be expensive to run.