Author Topic: LOL at this Truck on Jalopnik  (Read 1705 times)

Offline lizard

LOL at this Truck on Jalopnik
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
1970 Chevrolet C10 Pickup Truck, With Bonus 90s Political Flashbacks
By Murilee Martin, 9:00 AM on Mon Dec 22 2008, 2,125 views

Welcome to Down On The Street, where we admire old vehicles found parked on the streets of the Island That Rust Forgot: Alameda, California. Today's pickup appears to be a late-90s political time capsule.

Usually, when a vehicle owner's political beliefs- be they of the strident Left or the enraged Right- are sufficiently powerful to make painting messages on the vehicle's body seem like a good idea, that person keeps the messages up to date. Not so with this '70 Chevy; after the mid-to-late 1990s, it appears that no cause fired the truck's owner up like his or her loathing for Bill Clinton.

Proposition 209, which abolished ethnic preferences in California schools, dates from 1996. You'd think there'd be at least one recent right-wing talk-radio bumper sticker on the thing, but it's all totally vintage.

More HERE with more pics

:lmao:  Great old truck! 

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: LOL at this Truck on Jalopnik
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:49:37 PM »
Well, at least the truck is still running.

My brother used to have a '74.  Loud as hell and had a 4.11 rear end in it being turned by the 30-year-old motor.  "Cruise control" was a concrete block set on the gas pedal because the thing would only do 45 mph with that gearing.  That truck had "character".  The carburetor would catch on fire if you drove it too long (I think that eventually got fixed).  The transmission linkage was all wonky and you had to climb under the truck to shift it from Park to Drive. 

One time he forgot to shift the tranny.  We (the two of us and a couple friends) were standing around the parking lot drinking beers when the damn thing started to roll.  I think I was the first one to notice, so I chased after the truck.  I managed to get the door open and grab the steering wheel, but it was moving too fast for me to pull myself up into the cab so I had to let go.  I didn't want to get run over or anything.  Managed to miss the telephone pole, but it slammed into a parked SUV (a Ford Explorer... lulz).  I probably should have let it hit the pole.  At least he would have gotten out of paying for a new tailgate. 

I think it finally gave up the ghost when the water pump sprung a leak and the motor stopped running.  He said he nursed the truck home using the starter motor to push it the last mile or so.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.