Author Topic: Hospital bed shortage could be remedied with La-Z-Boy recliner chairs  (Read 605 times)

Offline Delmar

Sun Mar 22, 2020, 07:40 AM
Star Member Jane Austin (9,116 posts)

I am wondering something about the need for hospital beds.

Why couldn't crowded hospitals and health centers use vinyl or leather recliners for ICU patients instead of beds.

An awful lot of people with lung issues sleep in them at home and many are quite comfortable - certainly more comfortable than hospital beds.

There are dozens of them in every furniture store in every town in American right now.

It strikes me that the biggest drawback would be that the patient would be too low for the doctors and nurses to treat them without hurting their own backs.

My solution for that would be to build simple raised platforms 8 to 10 inches high to set the recliners on.

Then all the home seamstresses could get busy and sew "covers" for these so they can be as fresh as possible.

Recliners are already in use at infusion centers and in recovery rooms at oral surgeons - or at least at my oral surgeon's.

I realize there is much more to an ICU station than the bed, but perhaps using existing recliners for the patients would be a start.

If I am missing something obvious, please enlighten me.

A nice Lane or Lazy-Boy recliner seems a lot more comfortable and useful than some of the beds they are using in Italy and other hard-hit areas.

What do you think?
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213149041

Reclining chairs?  What a stupid idea.  Why not futons and yoga mats?

Response to Jane Austin (Original post)Sun Mar 22, 2020, 07:44 AM
Star Member DonaldsRump (1,609 posts)
1. Am no doctor, but that sounds good to me

Plenty of that stuff around and more can be made. I like the creativity

Something else that occurred to me as I was doing some yardwork involving tarps: why can't tarps be made into PPE? I would think they would be ideal if cut properly and I guess they could be re-used.

It's so sad that we are considering these creative solutions, but desperate times....
What will they think of next, chicken wire and cinder blocks?

Response to Jane Austin (Original post)Sun Mar 22, 2020, 07:46 AM
Star Member TexasProgresive (11,205 posts)
3. Hospital beds means not just the bed,

but the medical, support staff and supplies to care for the patients.
Back to the old drawing board.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline jukin

Re: Hospital bed shortage could be remedied with La-Z-Boy recliner chairs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
The one constant in life is that DUmmys will always and proudly display their stupidity.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 11:19:39 AM »
Jane Austin (9,117 posts)

6. So, put 'em on casters and make one side of the platform a ramp.

Wouldn't that work?

I don't think this is a perfect solution, but it beats the hell out of stacking people in the hallways.
Someone pointed out that hospital beds have to be able to move, but this DUpipo even has an answer to that!!! How can such brilliance be ignored????

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »
And how would this be superior to vinyl mattress covers on ordinary mattresses? The cleanable surface is a small part of the necessary utility incorporated in a hospital bed. Did any DU-Member ever point this out?

At least Star Member TexasProgresive pointed out that the US doesn't have thousands of doctors, nurses, and support staff sitting idly in warehouses and serving coffee at Starchucks * waiting for a pandemic to happen. OTOH, Star Member TexasProgresive probably needs an introduction to the concept of "expiration dates" and maybe then learn that not all N95 masks are FDA approved.

* Though one of Trump's actions, announced 3/18, was allowing doctors licensed in one state to practice in all states.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:36:35 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 01:24:43 PM »
Sun Mar 22, 2020, 07:40 AM
Star Member Jane Austin (9,116 posts)

I am wondering something about the need for hospital beds.

Why couldn't crowded hospitals and health centers use vinyl or leather recliners for ICU patients instead of beds.

An awful lot of people with lung issues sleep in them at home and many are quite comfortable - certainly more comfortable than hospital beds.

There are dozens of them in every furniture store in every town in American right now.

And since the stores are mostly closed they can put the patients there as well. Then the store personel can look after them and keep working. :-)

F**king BRILLIANT!!!! :-)
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »
Response to Jane Austin (Original post)Sun Mar 22, 2020, 07:44 AM
Star Member DonaldsRump (1,609 posts)
1. Am no doctor, but that sounds good to me

Plenty of that stuff around and more can be made. I like the creativity

Something else that occurred to me as I was doing some yardwork involving tarps: why can't tarps be made into PPE? I would think they would be ideal if cut properly and I guess they could be re-used.

It's so sad that we are considering these creative solutions, but desperate times....
Have you tried wrapping shrink-wrap around your head or maybe the plastic bags they put on dry cleaning?
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »

Not really.  Vinyl 'sucks the heat' out of your body when you sleep.  -To a lesser degree than vinyl waterbeds, but still not good when you're running a fever.