Author Topic: New last book you read thread  (Read 133109 times)

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Re: New last book you read thread
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »
I read it am I am still not sure if I liked it or not.  It was a good plot but the writing was pretty bad in my opinion.

You're entitled.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »
The Secret Servant by Daniel Silva.

Looking at my book cases I found this book, where it came from is more of a mystery to me then the plot of the book.

Printing history says 2008  when the heck did it come into my home???

I seldom read spy novels, this one however has caught my interest as it has much back history on how the Muslims are fighting to take over the world and each other.

It Chronicles the mistakes western Europe made in allowing themselves to become so liberal they are now becoming overwhelmed by 500+ terror cells.

Reasearch on this story is spot on, I did a search on some of the stuff and found the author was spot on about the going ons in history that I had paid no attention to or was miss reported in the press at the time.

So far the chapter I am on is about the problems Egypt has ---very interesting.

The Hero is an Israeli James Bond kind of guy, this book is a reread in 6 months or so for me.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »
Started the new Clive Cussler thriller this afternoon, Crescent Dawn.
I always swear I'm never spending another dime on his books, and then I do.  Glad to see he poses with yet another one of his classic automobiles on the back cover.  I'm funding his lifestyle. :thatsright: :-)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »
Reading John Sandford's Rough Country....it's a Virgil Flowers instead of Lucas Davenport.

M read it when we were on vacation and said it was pretty good....I'm still in the first third of the book.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »
I love Virgil Flowers!  It is a good book!  I just finished a book called The Innocents by Harlan Coben.  It was pretty good, I wouldn't buy it though.  I need a new author now since I read all of the Jefferson Bass books and I am spoiled.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2010, 07:05:18 PM »
Reading 'The Hobbit' again.  Always a good backup when there's nothing else available.

(I accidentally dropped the book I was reading into the return slot and have to wait until I can get it back.) ::)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2010, 03:40:59 AM »
Starting "Fed Up!" by Rick Perry.

"If you don’t support the death penalty and citizens packing a pistol, don’t come to Texas."

First and foremost, Perry says that ObamaCare must be repealed—“the future of America depends on reversing this law.”
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2010, 06:34:34 AM »
Just finished Leon Uris's novel Battle Cry, which is a fictitious account based on his own experiences as a radioman in the Marines during WWII.

The 6th Marines fought in Guadalcanal, Tarawa, and took a terrible beating in Saipan, where the novel basically concludes.

Compelling account from the grunt's perspective.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2010, 06:35:59 AM »
Starting "Fed Up!" by Rick Perry.

"If you don’t support the death penalty and citizens packing a pistol, don’t come to Texas."

First and foremost, Perry says that ObamaCare must be repealed—“the future of America depends on reversing this law.”

Very surprising, since he's a lib of the first order. Maybe he's grown a couple of hairs on his chin since I last read about him. Great author, Pulitzer prize and all, but his politics suck.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2010, 12:47:44 PM »
Book-frickin-13 of the Wheel of Time series.

Robert Jordan is dead, but Brandon Sanderson  has done a good job bringing the series to a foreseeable conclusion. One more book to go!

Oi. I've been with this series for close to 20 years.

I just started The Gathering Storm. Sanderson's doing a great job of keeping the "voice" of the story correct.

Oddly, my wife was able to get me "Storm" and "Towers" in first edition hardbound (birthday gifts).
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »
I just started The Gathering Storm. Sanderson's doing a great job of keeping the "voice" of the story correct.

Oddly, my wife was able to get me "Storm" and "Towers" in first edition hardbound (birthday gifts).

I agreee that Sanderson does a great job.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »
Oh Good God.  I am still reading Eat, Pray, Love.  I didn't buy it, a friend gave it to me, because it is such a book that I should read.   :thatsright:  I hate it.  I am stuck in India, and still have to go to Indonesia, or Bali, or somewhere.  

I stopped reading it, and picked up "Why we Suck" by Denis Leary.  Someone else gave that to me because it is such a book that I should read.  I read it.  It was hilarious.  
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »
Oh Good God.  I am still reading Eat, Pray, Love.  I didn't buy it, a friend gave it to me, because it is such a book that I should read.     I hate it.  I am stuck in India, and still have to go to Indonesia, or Bali, or somewhere. 

Ya, Julia Roberts sucks.

:tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »

Ya, Julia Roberts sucks.

:tongue:

I have never really been a fan of hers. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »
The movie looked like some sort of stupid hippy shit so I skipped it and the book.  I don't need that kind of perversion in my brain.

I am reading the Alchemist series by Michael Scott now.  It is a kid's book, but it is soooooo filled with characters from mythology and real life!  Both of my kids are really smart and I am not sure they could follow all of the characters and back stories.  They did NOT have kid's books like this when I was a kid!  Glad I get to read them now.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:22 PM »
Picked up the Lis Wiehl book in paperback when we were at Walmart, tonight. Can't remember the name of it, but it's the one that Bill O'Reilly was sending out with his Pinheads and Patriots book back in early fall.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2010, 06:08:36 AM »
More than 2/3 through Vince Flynn's last book, 'American Assassin' - should have been number two in the series, have read all the others.

May take a break, just got G.W. Bush's 'Decision Points' hope it's as interesting as his interviews about the book that I have watched.
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2010, 08:08:03 AM »
More than 2/3 through Vince Flynn's last book, 'American Assassin' - should have been number two in the series, have read all the others.

May take a break, just got G.W. Bush's 'Decision Points' hope it's as interesting as his interviews about the book that I have watched.

I'll be interested to see your review on that.  Thinking about that one myself. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »
I'll be interested to see your review on that.  Thinking about that one myself. 

Yeah, I ordered it through Amazon last week, along with a couple of books of Rochut etudes for trombone.  :o And no, I didn't find them in the same section.

:-)

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
Finished Vince Flynn's book, series is now finished [until he writes the next one  :whistling:] - tomorrow will start Decision Points.
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »
Finished Vince Flynn's book, series is now finished [until he writes the next one  :whistling:] - tomorrow will start Decision Points.

I got my copy in the mail yesterday.

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2010, 12:29:09 AM »
I just finished reading Heart Of The Assassin by Robert Ferrigno.  It's the third book of his Assassin trilogy.  I liked it, although I think the first book of the trilogy was the best one.
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »
I am just about to finish The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton.  Great book so far, have wanted to read it since playing Deus Ex.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »
Against my better judgement, I bought, and just finished Patricia Cornwell's latest Scarpetta book Port Mortuary

IMO she "jumped the shark" a while ago, and this tedious tome was a sterling example.  The storyline is basically good, and she restrained her political comments to a few antiwar anecdotes, and a judicious slap at the Reagan administration.....but she managed to fill it with so much "fluff" that it's nearly unreadable......over 500 pages, it would have made an excellent book at around 300.

If you are a Scarpetta fan, wait until this one hits the publisher's overrun table for $5.95.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
Just starting Stephen Coonts, The Disciple.

Glad to read your review of Cornwell's new book, Doc...almost bought it the other day, but didn't because I have been so disappointed in her last couple of books. I was hoping that this one was going to be better.  :(